Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 12, 2009   #1
Chessnut23
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilted...starting at the top:(

I have yet to find someone else who has experienced this..
I have had something cause my tomatoes to start wilting, starting at the top. (Not from the bottom as is described with some virus attacks).
The wilt moves downwards then until the whole plant is dead.
Other tomato plants planted in that same area suffer the same fate so it is probably a bacteria or virus rather than a nutritional deficiency because all of them are fertilized the same etc.
I have not found anything in any gardening books etc about any disease that starts at the top like this one does.
I moved my tomatoes to a different area last year and again this year and have not had that problem again but the cause is still a mystery.
Chessnut23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009   #2
Teacher_Mike
Tomatovillian™

Are there black walnut trees nearby - and by nearby, I mkean within 50-70 feet?
Teacher_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2009   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've found that Tomato Spotted Wilt can start at the top. Pretty nasty disease....I typically lose a handful of plants to it each year.
Old July 16, 2009   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

That sounds exactly like the wilt that invaded my yard. I still don't know what the heck it is, but it is deadly, and it always starts at the top from what appears to be healthy plants, (at least previously). Someone once emailed me a link about something called Fusarium Crown Wilt. I'm betting that's the one I have as it does not seem to fit the description of other wilts or show the symptoms you'd normally expect. When I cut into the wilted sections, I find the stem to be hollow, but it does not have the browning you'd expect in some diseases, it does not run fluid as you see in bacterial wilt, and it seems way to virulent to be pith necrosis. Wish I could tell you more. I can tell you that while most of my other plants die, my SunGold laughs at it.