Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 20, 2016   #46
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Lovely! Makes me want to start mine!! And you're right about the dense planting. After watching the video a few times, it made less fearful about separating the seedlings.
Ted, I hope you are feeling well and are back on your feet, which by the looks of things, you are!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #47
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, thanks for the kind words. I'm still gaining my strength and stamina, but the future looks bright. It had better. This year's garden will be my largest ever.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #48
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Ted, I was watering my peppers today and thought, I need to buy some mini-blinds. My old ones that wouldn't hurt to be replaced are dark green - but they'll work. I have some silver sharpies that I use to mark numbers on the black seed cells. I use MS Excel and a numbering system with the seed cells.

I like the idea of the mini-blind markers in the cells. That way I can continue using Excel and have the mini-blind marker to eventually stake out with the plants. I've heard most of my life - that the first thing to go is the memory, well that happened years ago. The more things I have reminding me what is what and where - the better.

The largest garden yet - I understand. Same here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #49
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Talking about minds, and losing memory, not to hijack the thread, but I reviewed Craig's dense planting videos and the one thing that really struck me was when he moved the seedling tray to the heating mat and none of the trays had I.D.tags. I was in awe of how would he remember what seeds he planted in which cell? Unless he has them taped to the side. Wow, that would be the end for me, lol!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #50
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Talking about minds, and losing memory, not to hijack the thread, but I reviewed Craig's dense planting videos and the one thing that really struck me was when he moved the seedling tray to the heating mat and none of the trays had I.D.tags. I was in awe of how would he remember what seeds he planted in which cell? Unless he has them taped to the side. Wow, that would be the end for me, lol!
I think he had a mapped out grid on paper. Not sure, because its bern a few years since I watched.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #51
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Here's how I keep track of mine. It's originally an Excel file, but was rejected here as invalid. Very easy to do in Excel. I have 3x4 cell trays (marked A - F). The colors are the variety colors. I used 2 shades for the red varieties to make it easier to see the demarcations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seed Flat Excel 2016 PDF.pdf (197.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by sjamesNorway; March 21, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #52
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Good morning, everybody. I just got done reviewing my three trays and discovered that everything is normal. By that, I mean that the time to germination for the various varieties is proving that seed age makes a difference.

Tray #1 --- All but three are up. Seed age for the three are 8, 8, and 11 years old.

Tray #2 --- 51 are up. The remaining ones are at least 7 years old and a few are in the 10 year old category.

Tray #3 --- Just started but has some seeds going back to 2008.

I'm using my squirt bottle to keep the top of the mix damp. The liquid in it is a small pinch of MG crystals to a 2 liter soda bottle. That little bit of nutrients in the bottle definitely seems to be helping.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 21, 2016   #53
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here's some close ups of the action on the top of the mix. The pictures are:

1. Tray #1

2. My squeeze bottle and slightly fert'd supply of water

3. This never gets old to me

4. It like being a "dad" all over again.

Enjoy. That last one is one that may get released this year. That's 100% germination after 4 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0096.JPG (448.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0097.JPG (251.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0098.JPG (332.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0099.JPG (385.2 KB, 49 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 21, 2016   #54
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Sharon, thanks for the kind words. I'm still gaining my strength and stamina, but the future looks bright. It had better. This year's garden will be my largest ever.
Good to hear you're on the mend, Ted. RT will sap your strength, but I imagine growing tomatoes is great therapy for you.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote