Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 4, 2010   #1
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Default Plumeria-yeah, I know it's not tomatoes

I love, love, love, the plumera flower.
I was wondering if there was anyone on here, that may live in southwest growing them.
I know they grow great in Hawaii, and that there is a plumera society up in Phoenix, but anyone know anything about them?
Sammiek
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I had four that were about twenty years old. I brought them inside and put them in the basement when the weather would start getting cooler. One year an unexpected cold spell overnight killed them. They were some of the nicest smelling flowers to be found.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010   #3
matereater
Tomatovillian™

http://www.exoticplumeria.com/default.asp

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010   #4
clara
Tomatovillian™

Several years ago, I took some cuttings home from a holiday in Sri Lanka where they are known (and used) as temple plants. I even had 4 different varieties and loved them so much - till an unexpected frost killed them overnight, same as dustdevil.

3 years ago, I ordered seeds from a seller on the Marianas - they germinated quite well, but slowly and set blossoms only in their second year. And who has the plants now? One of my daughters! She is even more crazy than me about this wonderful plant and had self-grown flowers in her hair on her wedding day, therefore I MUST give her my last 3 plants!

In summer, I will go to Thailand where they are growing, too, and already thought about taking cuttings home, but in the meantime, the German customs requires some kind of paper for importing them, so it may be a bit "risky" of doing so... clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010   #5
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

I have some. They are pretty commonly grown in central Florida. Basically you just stick a cutting in the ground and it grows. Goes dormant in the winter here. This last winter had record breaking cold in my area so it died back to the ground, but usually they are fine in out mild winters.
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010   #6
SunnyK
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 2 of them from seed. This is their third year so I am crossing my fingers that they will finally flower. I just put them back outside from their overwintering in my dining room.
SunnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2010   #7
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I just wonder how well they would do in the heat?
I live in the desert, would it be just to hot and dry for them?
Old June 9, 2010   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Heat would be okay, but they like it humid coming from tropic regions. Nevertheless you should try, maybe you have good luck, when watering them sufficiently, but not toooo much!. clara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumeria
Old June 15, 2010   #9
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

I have three plumeria plants in large containers. I live in NY and we take the containers inside by mid October and put them out in the Spring. I have a question: Grass grows around the plants. we keep pulling it out. Can I put mulch in the containers without causing the bark to rot?

Elliot
NY
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #10
discrepancy
Tomatovillian™

Good lord! Thank you for giving me something to look up -- now I want to grow these... they're beautiful!
discrepancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2010   #11
clara
Tomatovillian™

Do it, discrepancy, do it! They're to be grown! clara
Old April 9, 2011   #12
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

YEAHHHHH, today I traded 5 tomato plants for a PLUMERIA start!!!
I am so excited, and I want to tell D. thanks!!!
I just need to know now how to take care of it!
Old April 9, 2011   #13
cbadcali
Tomatovillian™

Default plumeria

Hi: You can get lots of information by visiting Maui Plumeria Gardens forum. These people know a lot.

I've grown them in Carlsbad for many years. They are like petulant 2 year olds...sometimes they do what they are supposed to, and often not. Themost important thing is to not overwater. They dislike wet feet, but with you living in the desert, I am fairly certain that would not be a problem. Also, they go dormant each year, when they lose all their leafs, perfectly normal. Don't over feed, they do well with worm castings (sp) bring in when the temps drop to the upper 40's. If you want more information, let me know. Most of all enjoy them for their beauty. Mary

Ps: It becomes an addiction, I have 75 of them and the lady I just bought another one from today has...500.
cbadcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2011   #14
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

We have three plumeria plants. I started them as small cuttings, the size of a hand, which I bought in Disney World around ten years ago. The plants are 5 feet high and flower. The fragrance is beautiful.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote