Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 23, 2012   #1
babice
Tomatovillian™

Default Can you ID this bush/flower?

This bush was in my yard when we bought this place and I expect it's not in the right spot because it never has done well. There's one on either side of a Japanese Maple which is shading them a lot. I took a pic five days ago and again today of the blooms on the one that gets somewhat more sun. I believe it needs to be in a more sunny place. I'd like to know what it is, though, before I transplant it. Any ideas? thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.18.12 01.jpg (324.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 04.23.12 01.jpg (334.7 KB, 60 views)
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

The flowers look like an azalea/rhododendron. The foliage looks a lot lighter in color than the ones I know, but there are tons of different varieties. They're understory shrubs here and do best with acid soil, filtered light, lots of mulch, and regular water.

]
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #3
babice
Tomatovillian™

Interesting - azalea didn't occur to me because I don't see them around here in zone 5 very much. I saw them all the time in the South. But that makes sense because they're probably blooming this time of year in the South. Here's a pic of the one that gets mostly shade - this is the best it does every year - all sticks, very few leaves and never any flowers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.18.12 04.jpg (337.1 KB, 25 views)
Old April 23, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

They look like the azaleas growing around the house except they are about 10 feet tall.. They have been here for about sixty years I understand. Some where growing in a place that I wanted to put a raised bed. Cut, dug and they still came back up until I think it was the fifth or six year then they finally did not come back.

Does the wood turn kinda a light brown when they die back for the winter?
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #5
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Does the wood turn kinda a light brown when they die back for the winter?
Hmmm - I'm not sure. I "think" it stays the color you see in that last pic but not sure. I should see if I have a winter shot. So, John3 - I assume the folks who planted those put them under the Jap Maple thinking they needed filtered light as habitat gardener suggests but they obviously are lacking in something? Do you think I should move them over to the west-facing raised bed where I have 2 small pine trees, 3 ugly but abundant bushes, 1 coreopsis and a hydrangea in the back? Based on what habitat gardener said it probably wouldn't be wise to put them in the raised bed on the south side of the house?
Old April 23, 2012   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pictures but there are no flowers they just dropped (I think they come back later)
Does the wood look like on the baby plant (those odd shape leaves are the wild blackberries trying to invade them?
I don't know about growing them we have never fert or watered them so I don't know how to answer that question- they are growing on all sides of the house - the carpenter bees love them.
If I remember right the lower branches that touch the ground will start a new plant there. If that is correct then that would invade your raised bed.

I just walked around the house and it looks like none are growing in the shade.

The color looks just like the color of the flowers growing here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12ft.JPG (162.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg baby 4 ft.JPG (100.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg old wood.JPG (130.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by John3; April 23, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #7
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
Interesting - azalea didn't occur to me because I don't see them around here in zone 5 very much. I saw them all the time in the South. But that makes sense because they're probably blooming this time of year in the South. Here's a pic of the one that gets mostly shade - this is the best it does every year - all sticks, very few leaves and never any flowers.
Just in about the last 5+ years they seem to have developed many hardy varieties for the northern climates. I see them all the time around my area now, but they often flower before there are any leaves on the plants.
Old April 23, 2012   #8
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

In my area of Minnesota, I see quite a number of azaleas in people's yards, but never see them in very deep shade. If they are azaleas, they might like the piney part of the yard better; I believe that pine needles make the soil more acidic.

Your blossoms are gorgeous.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #9
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a kind of deciduous azalea. They're much more winter hardy than the evergreen kind. Plus you don't usually find the yellow/peach tones in evergreen azalea flowers. Some are fragrant too.

I found a short clip that talks about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVO5_-k33bk

I don't know which variety yours is, but it sure is pretty! I think they can take more sun than the evergreen ones too.

Nice plant!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2012   #10
babice
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone - it is rather purty, isn't it? If I can find the right spot for it, it'll be that much purtier!
Old April 28, 2012   #11
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That is an Azalea,ive got what looks to be the same coloured variety myself

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #12
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Now that we are into Autumn the leafs turn a lovely colour this time of year

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2012   #13
troad
Tomatovillian™

I believe you have an exbury azalea. Looks lke some I grew years ago. Grow in more sun than the usual azaleas and in a slightly acid soil.
Try this link
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...HOU31D5SSH.DTL
Old April 29, 2012   #14
babice
Tomatovillian™

That's exactly it Troad! Thanks so much! This confirms it. Gotta get them outta that shady spot and move them over with the acid-soil loving stuff I have in the sunnier raised bed. I am going to wait until it's done flowering and then move it. It's quite convenient actually because I bought a bunch of Lilly of the Valley pips to put under that Japanese Maple so this will free up some room and help me get a head start on tilling the soil.