Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 15, 2016   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Best flowers to grow from seed

I want to start some flowers from seed this year for my Mom.

She usually just buys fully grown flowers at a store.

I just wanted to see if anyone could recommend some good varieties of flowers that can be started from seed indoors? Most would need to be varieties that would do well in a container when planted outside not planted directly in the ground.

Thanks

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Any kind of Petunia does great in containers as well as snapdragons.
I grew them both when I was a little kid from seeds.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marigolds are easy to start from seed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wave Petunias are pretty, cascading, and more expensive to buy (as plants) than regular petunias.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #5
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I personally don't grow anything with extremely small seeds. That would mean begonias, impatiens, petunia, and coleus off the top of my head. I also only grow from saved seeds. What I have been successful with is cosmos, marigolds, nicotiana, snapdragons. I also save seeds from geraniums, but that is tedious. Purchased seeds are prohibitive in cost. The marigolds that I really love are the ones I got in the seed exchange here one year called Tashkent Monastery. The foliage doesn't smell unpleasant and they are velvety red with gold edges. The cosmos is the native cosmos Ladybird Scarlet. They stay very compact with brilliant. orange color. Also, I always grow Salvia coccinea, red and coral numph. Another easy to grow annuals I suggest, especially attractive in containers is talinum limon. It has brilliant gold foliage and sends up sprays of small pink flowers. Dahlias are also easily grown from seed, plus you can dig and store the roots for next year. Of course, I belong to the local chapter of seed savers anonymous.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #6
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

Ooh this is a great thread....last year I did not start petunias early enough and so didn't bother. Then I had these big holes in the garden beds where they should have been . I need to plant those really soon.

If you go with petunias, try to get the ones that have been pelletized (seeds)...they will be easier to plant. And water them with warm water. They do not like cold water.

Alyssums are pretty, seeds are tiny, but easily found at the dollar stores for like a quarter. Columbine was from the dollar store too and was surprisingly easy...and a perennial to boot!

Impatiens were not difficult to grow, just teeny tiny seeds.

Last edited by Nattybo!; January 15, 2016 at 06:10 PM.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #7
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I grow most of my flowers from seed. The easiest are the ones with larger seeds.
My favorite is the zinnia, it does get very tall though. As other have mentioned
Marigold's and Cosmo's are easy. Petunia seed are very tiny, so you have to be
careful not to put too many seed in a container. You sprinkle them on top of the
soil since they need light to germinate. I don't know if they would make the best
cut flower though.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #8
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Zinnias. They are easy to grow and easy to save seeds from. I grow them every year next to my tomatoes to attract butterflies, bees, etc. As cut flowers they usually stay fresh more than a few days.

I may try the shorter ones this year, but will use last year's seeds first.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #9
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I'll be starting Wave Petunia and Vinca in early Feb. Followed by Impatiens, Verbena and then Gazania in early March. These all do well in containers.

Cuttings are taken from Pentas and Lantana in late summer. These go back into the ground in late spring.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

dahlia, poppy, asters, calendula, nasturtiums, stocks, nicotiana, to be truthfully, most seed-started greenhouse varieties are fairly easy to grow if you can manage their light requirements and have the space. You can also order plug trays like the pro's if you have a greenhouse.

Something I do every spring is buy a few (2-3) vegetative petunias already growing as early as I can get them from a GH, usually early april. I then take as many cuttings as I can and root them straight into potting mix in 4" pots. they all "Take" and are big enough to plant out at the normal time, here about the last week of May. The "mother plants regrow as well so I still have them to plant. You can easily get a dozen good cuttings from each plant.
Petunias are very easy to root from cuttings and a good one to try for a beginner.
I do this only for my own use though. remember it can be illegal to vegetatively propagate for sale many popular annuals due to licencing and branding. It is not illegal to do it for yourself.
I also save seed from those expensive F1 petunias and the F2's will give you unpredicatable colours but always nice spreading vegetative plants. as long as you are not fussy about a certain colour, it's a fun surprise to see what you get.
here's a timeline of it from my NG page
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3581757&type=3
click on the first photo and keep clicking for seed to full grown plants. you do not have to be a facebook user to see the photos.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; January 17, 2016 at 04:21 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #11
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

What Karen said. I make lots of cuttings. What I use is a clear plastic container to root them in though. That way, they have their own little green house. It becomes a steam bath when it is in a sunny location. I cut a 3-4 inch piece and remove the bottom leaves. I make sure to bury at least one node in the soil. I remove all flowers as they take energy from the cutting. Rooting hormone, like Rootone, helps. Also, drilling holes in the bottom of the container helps to not over water. Adding more perlite makes the soil more porous, aiding the rooting process. Coleus will have a generous new root system in 3 weeks. Other plants take longer.

The last slide is begonias I started from saved seeds. (I couldn't help myself) I guess the issue for me isn't so much the small seeds, but the fact that it will be forever before those seedlings are big enough to handle, and them many more weeks before they are plantable out. Just my experience. Oops, no picture. They were so small they didn't show up in the slide
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (172.0 KB, 115 views)
Old January 23, 2016   #12
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
What Karen said. I make lots of cuttings. What I use is a clear plastic container to root them in though. That way, they have their own little green house. It becomes a steam bath when it is in a sunny location. I cut a 3-4 inch piece and remove the bottom leaves. I make sure to bury at least one node in the soil. I remove all flowers as they take energy from the cutting. Rooting hormone, like Rootone, helps. Also, drilling holes in the bottom of the container helps to not over water. Adding more perlite makes the soil more porous, aiding the rooting process. Coleus will have a generous new root system in 3 weeks. Other plants take longer.

The last slide is begonias I started from saved seeds. (I couldn't help myself) I guess the issue for me isn't so much the small seeds, but the fact that it will be forever before those seedlings are big enough to handle, and them many more weeks before they are plantable out. Just my experience. Oops, no picture. They were so small they didn't show up in the slide
Very nice Nancy..Thank you for posting.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #13
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Open container for viewing purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (209.9 KB, 117 views)
Old January 19, 2016   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Geraniums are easy from seed, too. Don't neglect the heat or if your seeds need to germinate cool, make sure you google it to see so you don't ruin the seeds. Snaps, dianthus, pansies.. all do well to be frozen for a week or two in the kitchen freezer before planting. Sweetpeas for baskets don't need heat either. You can also buy houseplants in the Spring and split them to add texture, trailing or an upright feature to a large planter.
Old January 23, 2016   #15
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Marigolds, petunias and zinnias are easy to start from seed, and will give you a wide range of colors and heights that will bloom all summer, into late fall. Allysum is a nice flowering plant that looks great mixed in a container with petunias, marigolds and many other flowers. Pansy is another one that is easy and looks great in containers with allysum that cascades down.

Everyone gave great advice and tips.. I would make sure you follow the package directions and look up each variety in a google search as many varieties have different growing and germinating methods. Good luck..

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote