Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 12, 2006   #1
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Default Better Luck this year!

Last year I started 2 Sophie’s Choice plants in mid-December and put them into an Earthbox, in February, in front of my south facing garage door. On frosty nights I’d drag the box into the garage. Even though it was still very cold the plants were protected from frost and I was hoping for an early tomato.

Well, long story short, after dragging the thing around for the better part of 2 months I still didn’t get anything much earlier than SCs planted in the ground in March. It was just too cold.

This year I have 3 plants in 1 gal. black pots that I can bring into the house every night. It rarely gets below 60°F overnight inside. They were started in mid-Dec. just like last year but now they’re loaded with fruit and flowers. They are a foot tall and if they become root-bound I’ll pot up to something bigger. I hope to start picking homegrown tomatoes in about a month.

January 24th

February 12th
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote