Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 26, 2012   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed Starting Boxes

I was wondering if anyone has use these type of cardboard boxes with the cardboard inserts for starting seeds in? If so what products where shipped in them - did you find that where good sizes to use? know these would only be good for one season but if the sizes can be found saving them from going to the dump for awhile.
Boxes like these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.9 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by John3; February 29, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

John, how do you propose to start seeds in this type of container? Ami
Old February 26, 2012   #3
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

My guess is that once it's wetted, the cardboard will soften and tear very
easily and you may end up with a pile of potting mix and seedlings. A nice
size and deep planting wells-I can how you would be tempted! Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #4
John3
Tomatovillian™

Ami I do not want the boxes the thickness shown in the picture but the configuration of cardboard box and the cardboard insert. I would put seed starting mix in the holes made by the cardboard insert, after cutting the lids off, and place a seed in each one of the holes created by the cardboard insert after watering the soil mix. The cardboard insert acts like a wall to keep the roots of the plant from entangling into each other.

I have some scrap plywood which I would set the box on. Place the plywood in the location that I want to germinate the seeds. Take the box and remove the flaps and then place the box on the plywood. Take the mix and fill up the well like holes created by the cardboard insert. Instead of saturating the mix with water I would semi-saturate the mix and put a hole in the mix (a pencil would work for doing that) then place the seed in the hole and cover it up with mix. If needed I would then add some mix over the seed. Taking a mist bottle sprayer I would mist the mix down over the seeds. Then take saran wrap and cover the top of the box.

Once the seeds have germinated I would remove the saran wrap from the box and use a mist bottle sprayer to give them water. When they get large enough I would move the box with the plywood outside on a table that I can move the seedlings shade to sunshine. As soon as the seedlings are ready to transplant I would take a box cutter (or some similar tool and cut down on the corner intersection of one of the long sides and let that lay down. I would then remove the seedling from that row created by the cardboard insert and do one of two things - 1. Transplant them into the garden or 2. Transplant them into containers. Then do the other side across from the one I did then repeat the steps above. When done go to one of the two short sides and repeat the steps above and the same for the other side of the box. Here are a couple of ways to get to seedlings in the center (that being all the rest of the seedlings within the rest of the squares) out 1. cut down on one of the corners intersection 2. use a garden trowel to dig them up ( this works if the squares created by the intersections of the cardboard insert is large enough).

The main concern would be the durability of the box being used. The one in the above image of a standard box (single wall) might be to thin. There are double-wall cardboard boxes and triple-wall cardboard boxes.
There are also Cardboard Freezer Storage Boxes

I don't plan on driving all around hunting for boxes that might work. So, knowing what kind of products come in what type of boxes helps in locating some to get before they are thrown away by making some phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
My guess is that once it's wetted, the cardboard will soften and tear very
easily and you may end up with a pile of potting mix and seedlings. A nice
size and deep planting wells-I can how you would be tempted! Darlene
I could almost picture that.
Attached Images
File Type: png TripleWallCorrugated.png (75.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (34.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by John3; February 29, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I don't know and as said before cardboard isn't the best material to use for seed starting containers. Below is a link to what I use and have been more than satisfied with the results. $12.00 and you can grow 81 seedlings and it comes with a mini greenhouse. Ami

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_detail.php?itemid=8018
Old February 27, 2012   #6
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

I experimented using cardboard tubes (from paper towels) and they behaved like peat pots-they would absorb the water from the mix and eventually disintigrate. Also they grew mold like crazy.

A waxed cardboard box with very small compartments might work, but you still have to get the plug out of there without destroying the roots.

Try it and let us know how it works.
Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #7
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Years ago I used jumbo egg cartons to germinate and grow seedlings in. It seemed to work very well. If pots can be made of newspaper, it's possible that cardboard might work.

Like Rick suggested, try it and let us know how it works. Although I think I would be prepared with some grown normally, just in case.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote