Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 29, 2012   #1
mr_gentleman
Tomatovillian™

Default light and germination

I recently acquired a light setup to start transplants indoors. Being a novice, I put a bunch of different things in one big container not thinking about the germination rates and necessities of each plant. I am basically experimenting right now to learn and fail by trial, but I had a question. I planted:
tomatoes
bok choy, romaine lettuce, arugala <--already germinated
dill
parsley
peppers
amaranth
squash

Will any of these plants respond negatively to light while germinating?
I have them under lights right now since the three greens already sprouted and just am curious if I should move some to a dark place or they are all fine under the light.
Old March 1, 2012   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i don't think the light will hurt, it is not necessary so i think it's moot. however, you will need to transplant those plants and if you have ungerminated or tiny not ready to transplant seedlings it will make the job harder. also lights s/b 1-2" above the plants, when 1 is 2" tall and another 1/2" tall in the same container you have a problem. i never put different vegetables into the same container. i will use a 6 pack and put a different vegetable into each cell tho just be sure to mark each cell using masking tape!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Lettuce, arugula and amaranth need light to germinate best.
The others no, but some seeds don't care one way or the other.
Seeds that are recommended to be surface sown, or covered with a light layer of soil are typically seed that responds to light for germination.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2012   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure what you started your plants in but I will say that I have never cared all that much for those large seed flats with the 36 to 72+ cells when starting seeds unless I want 36 to 72 of a given plant like lettuce and spinach. Even then they can be troublesome if you have different varieties. I am sure though that many who grow on a large scale find them indespensible.

Smaller containers starting items with similar needs and transplanting to cells/pots later work well for me. However, some things I always direct sow like cukes, melons, squash and all root crops. My understanding is that they don't like being "potted up" (root disturbance). Leaf lettuces and loose greens I prefer to direct sow as well.

As to the light, RayR has it right I believe. I can't think of a single veggie that needs dark to germinate. Flowers can be a bit strange though. For example, impatiens , snapdragons and pansies are all very shallow or surface sow. Impatiens and snaps need light to germinate but pansies have to have it dark.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote