Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2009   #46
travis
Tomatovillian™

Note that Texas Master Gardeners Association advises March 15 - April 15 as spring plant-out dates for tomatoes in Austin.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/agext/gar...g/spinwate.asp
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2009   #47
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Note that Texas Master Gardeners Association advises March 15 - April 15 as spring plant-out dates for tomatoes in Austin.

I'll be waiting on the rest of the tomatoes until spring break. Thanks for the dates. I saw others planting early and forgot that they have years of experience predicting dates and protecting young plants when necessary; I don't.
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2009   #48
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post

Unfortunately heirloom varieties will not produce much if planted in late March and you will get few if any tomatoes if you plant in mid-April.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2009   #49
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Unfortunately heirloom varieties will not produce much if planted in late March and you will get few if any tomatoes if you plant in mid-April.
That may be true of the late season indeterminates. But one may wish to consider two things. First, Houston is almost a week earlier (March 10) than Austin (March 15) with their average last date of frost, "average" meaning there's still a 10% chance of a killing frost past that date. And secondly, a Texas gardener might want to plant early and mid-season tomatoes for the 1st crop and the late season indeterminates for their second crop.
Old March 2, 2009   #50
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

hmm ...I thought it was the other way around. Plant late DTMs in spring and early to mid in fall? Am I wrong in thinking this?
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2009   #51
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I think the strong wind we had on Saturday took about half of mine out. Or should I say, I HOPE it was the wind and not something else. They all look as if they were hit by frost, but the temps on Friday night were not expected to hit below 40° and I brought them in on Saturday night. I don't think it was temps as the other plants I had outside on the ground and not on a table seem fine.

I think all but one will survive, but it will set them back. I swapped all of them out with plants that I had sitting on a window sill. Now the window sill plants will start the hardening off and those that were outside will now be considered in ICU!

I still plan on putting a bunch of plants in the ground this week, but now, instead of the plants that were hardening off outside for the past few weeks, I'll be planting the ones that were in the window and hoping that those that were wind-damaged pull through enough to go in the ground by the end of this week or next week.

Can wind really damage foot-high plants like that?
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2009   #52
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Look guys it would be a big mistake to get rid of any plants that were wind burned if they are still alive they will do fine.

They are or should be starting to get into the fast growth stage when the weather warms up and in a few weeks you won’t be able to tell which plants were damaged.

I pay little or no attention to the last frost date or plant out times here in the Austin area; if I did I would have very little luck growing tomatoes.

The last frost date is an average and just like any average if there is a real late frost it will skew the data.

As for a freeze, 2 years ago we had a freezing rain and my plants came through just fine.

If you want 40 plants then start about 150 to 200 seeds and after all of the mishaps that can happen you will or should have at least enough plants to plant out early and then reserves for a frost, freeze, wind storm, hail or any other thing that might happen.

((((Don’t put all of your eggs in one basket.))))

One of the best things to do for frost/freeze protection is to mist water on the plants, the water is way above freezing and will save them.

I have been growing here in this area and on the gulf cost alone for 30 years and have not seen a worse spring for plants.
I hope it is not going to be this way all summer but I think it will.

It quit raining 2 years ago and we haven’t had any substantial rain fall since.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2009   #53
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

I lost 5 plants this weekend. Again in the very open area. The wind just bring the temp. down. More to plant this week. My own plants are getting bigger. They are about three inches with three sets true leaves. I am hesitating to use them since the one I bought at nursary is almost a feet tall. By planting big ones I may save two or three weeks. But them I won't get all the varities I want. I am already picturing loads of fruit and may have my son sell them in the driveway.haha.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2009   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Something didn't work.

I'll try later, I have to go to Austin to get my fangs sharpened and polished.

I also have to look at some hardwood flooring to put in my house.

Later

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2009   #55
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
All the plants from seeds now have true leaves. Since I don't have greenhouse and the weather is nice (60-75C day and 40-50 night)I left the plants outside. But it seems the plants are growing very slow. The stems and back side of the leaves are purple. I repot some of the plants yesterday to a 4 inch cell with potting soil. It doesn't look like I will have a big enough plants to go in the ground at the end of Febuary or early March. So I went shopping. I found in Austin, the Natural Gardener on old beecave, Red Barn (lots of choice for tomato and pepper) on 183& pond springs, Great Outdoor on Congress ave, Home Depot on Mopac& Braker lane all have tomato plants for sale. Very nice size. I got Cherokee purple, brandywine, big beef and celebrity. Natural Gardener has a big shipment of tomato plants today (~300 flats). So I may go check out again tomorrow.
Have fun to be tomato addictive.
New gardener in Tx

I just got back from the Red Barn. Not bad. They had Black Krim, Brandywines, a bunch of hybrids, serranos and so on. Not too bad.

Did you make it back out to Natural Gardner? Did they have anything good?
Old March 2, 2009   #56
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

I was at Red barn yesterday and it had good choice. I got lemon boy, Arkansa travelor, Aunt' GG, Big beef. I did n't go to Natural gardener last week. Sunshine community garden at 49 street will have a big plant sale on March 7th with ~70 varities. Do you still want the JD"s special C-tex? They are still small but alive.
New gardener in TX
Old March 4, 2009   #57
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing tomatoes in Austin, TX

Quote:
I was at Red barn yesterday and it had good choice. I got lemon boy, Arkansa travelor, Aunt' GG, Big beef. I did n't go to Natural gardener last week. Sunshine community garden at 49 street will have a big plant sale on March 7th with ~70 varities. Do you still want the JD"s special C-tex? They are still small but alive.
New gardener in TX

I would love to try JD's, but I'm afraid I'm running out of plants to trade. My healthy ones are going into the ground throughout the week and I wouldn't feel right trading for a weak, damaged or just sprouted one.
Old March 4, 2009   #58
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

ArcherB,
You don't need plants to trade with me. I have ~200 plants. Warning: This is my first year starting from seeds, not successful. The seedlings are small. For any variety if I can buy I will buy for my own garden. I will only plant my own seedlings if it is not commercially available. We can meet at the walmart on west Ben white /I-35.
Old March 4, 2009   #59
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I would love to see your garden. I work down the street from you.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2009   #60
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ArcherB,
You don't need plants to trade with me. I have ~200 plants. Warning: This is my first year starting from seeds, not successful. The seedlings are small. For any variety if I can buy I will buy for my own garden. I will only plant my own seedlings if it is not commercially available.
You will be very surprised how quickly your little seedlings will grow into healthy green transplants as soon as the temps stay 65 - 75 degrees during the day. Just bring them inside at night if you can, or cover them with some turned over clear plastic tote tubs.

In fact, just prop up the tote tubs a bit during the day to get some air circulation so it doesn't get steamy hot when the sun is bright. You might want to put a brick on top of the upturned totes to hold them down in the wind.

I think since this is your first time out with home grown seedlings, you're a bit disappointed when you see commercial transplants over there at Walmart. Remember, those were grown in greenhouses and given professional care, plenty of sunlight, warmth and fertilizers to get them up to an appearance that appeals to the buyer.

Instead of playing down your own seedlings, pat yourself on the back for your gumption and effort. Don't toss those little babies just yet.