Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 24, 2008   #16
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray,

I agree that the factory EB's seem a bit small for two tomatoes.

I was on their site and went to the watering section. I didn't see anything about solenoid switches, electronic timers, etc., only some mention of regulators. I assume you attach those to the hydrant, turn it on, and leave it on.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking at containers this week at WalMart, Lowes, and Home Depot. The bigger, and thicker the better.

So when are you going to start manufacturing and selling your EarthTainers?

Thanks again!

Don
Old February 24, 2008   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Don,

That is what I love about the EarthBox Company's AWS - - simplicity at its best! There are no solenoids, or other moving parts AT ALL!. The AWS uses a flex pneumatic diaphragm to control the water flow - - nothing else. Its clever Patent is based on Bernoulli's Principle to use pressure (rise or fall of the water level in the reservoir) to open and close the pneumatic diaphragm. What an elegant design!

I am going to do a thread about this ingenious invention in a week or so, after I finish off my next 12 'Tainer build.

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3901.JPG (181.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3903.JPG (156.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3905.JPG (131.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by rnewste; February 24, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008   #18
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Now, the obvious question. It seems to me the original purpose of the EarthBox was to provide a way to keep moisure to the plants without having to hand water every day. If we have an automatic irrigation system then why do we need the water chambers?

Don
Old February 26, 2008   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Don, how are you doing?

Keep in mind that the recently announced AWS is meant as a "retrofit" for those folks who have current EarthBoxes that have a 2.5" water reservoir, and now want a maintenance-free (no manual watering) experience.

If I were given the task of designing a "new" EarthBox(II) by the Company, I would design a 1" water reservoir (or maybe even a half-inch reservoir) as the AWS is sensitive to 1/8 inch water level changes. The key idea is to NEVER let the EB run dry - - or else you will have catastrophic results!! The height of an EarthBox(II) could be reduced by 2", or (my desire) is that the Earthbox(II) could contain an additional 2" of potting mix by lowering the Aeration Bench by 2".

Ray

Last edited by rnewste; February 26, 2008 at 01:04 AM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008   #20
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Did you get my PM?

Don