Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 30, 2007   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Baskets

While searching for info on Pendulina this a.m., came across this site:

http://www.nellystomaten.com/tomateninpotbasket.htm

check out third picture down!! what a great idea but still haven't quite figured out the set up and I don't speak the language
Old December 30, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I loved all the containers!! I am growing a bunch of the same dwarfs in my GH right now. I signed the guestbook and invited her to tomatoville. Maybe she is a member already?
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008   #3
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

Well, D. we use this language all the time ;-) so I will do the honours of a 'summarative' translation :

tomatoplants (climbers and bushes) can go in pots and hanging baskets. A good way to grow them on your terras or use a somewhat lost/unused corner in the garden. Some varieties can be combined in a single pot like Yellow Pygmee,Andrina,Oaxacan Jewel, etc. Some varieties can be very decorative between other plants (the trend of mixing veggies in the 'flower' gardens). The chains in the hanging baskets can be used for plant support. Decorative pots (like the frog) can be used as well.
On the bottom part of the page she sums up some suitable varieties.

Nelly is one of the better known "tomato-nuts" in our region with a huge seedbank.

Last year I did my first upside-down-tomatoes-in-buckets experiment myself with 'left over' undeterminate growing varieties (when there was no place left and all people you know already got more toms than they could handle : let's hang some upside down in the air where there is still room), the smaller 'bush-type' varieties, as on her page, will be used this year. It is always great fun to hear people's reaction when they see tomatoes where they wouldn't expect them...
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2008   #4
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Thank you bbq - you have some fabulous tomato growers in Belgium - just came across another wonderful site

http://www.essaime-artomate.be
Old January 4, 2008   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

For future reference you can you the google translate to translate webpages:
http://www.google.com/translate_t

It's not prefect, but does give one a good idea of what they are talking about usually.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2008   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

PNW-That last website is Luc's from Belgium. One of my tomato friends. Unfortunately, Luc passed away late last year. I never spoke to him, but we sent seed to each other. I originally contacted him about Citron Compact, one of my favorites.
Old January 6, 2008   #7
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
While searching for info on Pendulina this a.m., came across this site:

http://www.nellystomaten.com/tomateninpotbasket.htm

check out third picture down!! what a great idea but still haven't quite figured out the set up and I don't speak the language
That third picture down uses a plant stand - you can see the bottom of one with some other plants to the left of the ones with the tomatoes. Aren't these a super idea!

Here are the varieties that she lists as suitable for baskets/pots -
42 Days Tomato
Allure
Amber
Andrina
Balconi Red
Balconi Yellow
Balkonove
Balkonstar
Birdie
Bush
Caroletta
Floragold Basket
Cherry Gold
Cuatomate
Curant Fashion Mix
Fiaschetto
Florida Basket
Garden Pearl
Fuzzy Wussy
Gold Dust
Green Sausage
Hahms Gelbe Topftomate
Ida Gold*
Ida Rouge
Japonaise Basse
Johannisbeer Tomaat
Japanese Early
Joyay de l'Idaho
Julia 1547 B
Kootenai
L. Cheesmannii Var. Pruniforme (Orange)
Lycopersicon Cheesmannii Yellow
L. Glandulosum
Lime Green Salad
Matura
Micro Tom
Minibel
Neverwill
Otradnyi = Otradnaja
Pendulina Orange
Pendulina Red
Pendulina Yellow
Pixie Striped
Perle Rouge
Perle Tcheque
Pinochio
Phyra
Red Rocket
Rentita
Robin Hood
San Marzano Lampadino
Siberian*
Silvery Fir Tree
Slivovidnij Polosatij
Solanum Racemigerum
Sophie's Choice
Sub Arctic Cherry*
Tumbling Tom Red
Thumbling Jaune
Tigerette
Tiny Tiger
Tiny Tim
Totem
Whippersnapper
Yellow Canary
Yellow Pigmee
Zao Que Tchang

I have a few of these - marked them with a * - as well as some Green Grape that would do nicely. Anyone have something else they would like to trade a few of?

And here is a link to Novosel, which has superb prices on hanging baskets & other supplies. We got some of the hanging baskets last year on sale and I've been delighted with them. (Be sure to check out their sale page too.) BTW, my order arrived almost before I placed it. I was very impressed by the service.

http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/basket.asp
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2008   #8
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default baskets

I use to sell these baskets years ago in Michigan as pasta baskets,kitchen baskets,salsa baskets.... What I did was put plum tomatoes in the middle, with parsley,Italian varieties of basil and greek oregano on the sides,they sold like crazy because the home cook could come home from work and everything was right there to pick and go in and cook up.
For salsa we did a pole tomato in the middle ,cilantro,and parsley we pot these in wall grow bags,5 gallon containers and hanging baskets.The herbs help benifit
the soil of the tomato's also
Another good one would be tomato lovers with a pole tomato,cherry,grape,current tomato,hanging over the side of course being an herbalist would have to add parsley and basil and cilantro,rosmary,thyme,oregano.....I always had recipes that we would give out at the time of sale for what ever the theme was of the basket.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2008   #9
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
I use to sell these baskets years ago in Michigan as pasta baskets,kitchen baskets,salsa baskets.... What I did was put plum tomatoes in the middle, with parsley,Italian varieties of basil and greek oregano on the sides,they sold like crazy because the home cook could come home from work and everything was right there to pick and go in and cook up.
For salsa we did a pole tomato in the middle ,cilantro,and parsley we pot these in wall grow bags,5 gallon containers and hanging baskets.The herbs help benifit
the soil of the tomato's also
Another good one would be tomato lovers with a pole tomato,cherry,grape,current tomato,hanging over the side of course being an herbalist would have to add parsley and basil and cilantro,rosmary,thyme,oregano.....I always had recipes that we would give out at the time of sale for what ever the theme was of the basket.
This is a wonderful idea! What size hanging basket? And what would you think of small plants in a 2 gallon instead of a 5?
Old January 11, 2008   #10
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default PLANTS

I know that the wall hanging plastic bags were only about4" wide then about 2 ft.long and we got 1 tomato plant and in the top and then 8 herbs on the sides and they would last all season if you kept them trimmed and gave fertilizer 1 time a week. The baskets we had in all sizes but most popular were 10-12 in white baskets and 5 gallon containers,i don't see any reason the smaller size would not work. The main thing is with the herbs you have to keep them clipped which if you are using them you will and they have to realize they have to feed them because these are heavy feeder baskets!!!!!!! Some would buy them and think they did not have to feed them anything ever again,being organic,they have to-now they have slow release organic grains fertilizer but i have never used it,has anyone here used it at all??
Old January 11, 2008   #11
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Thanks, gardenhappy. I'm not so much interested in selling them as in doing up a bunch of them to line the rather barish front walk which is pretty visible from the road but much to small to be plowing up. I am determined to use every possible inch of space to grow something to eat and then dry, can or freeze everything that can't be eaten on the spot.

Tired of the garbage they pass off at the market as food, tired of the prices.
Old January 11, 2008   #12
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default baskets

Hi Granny,in that case you could also use mini bell peppers,trailing rosemary,tea baskets,we have (before freeze) 4 that i put bamboo stakes in the 3 to 5 gallon containers(pottery) and put pole beans in the middle,nasturtums on the out side ,and summer squash in the middle,you could put peas on the bamboo too with tomato's,lettuce,parsley and chards oreggplants,parsley,basil tomato and thymes ....it is count less what you can do. Have you seen in the new catologs and organic mag,the movable lettuce gardens?? wooden boxes with handles at each end that you take the lettuce salad growing to a party or get togeather and let the people clip their salad,current tomatos would be perfect for that exept the plant would be to big,so mabie a dwarf?? What dwarf tomato would be good for shallow wood draw type gardens?? Anyone have some seeds to spare for this type of tomato box??You could put a dwarf tomato,patio,or current tomato,lettuce ,kales and chards and sorrel also,or what about tomato's,and mints,parsley and margoram?? Itailians use mint in sause,i have a recipe that is from Italy that calles for tomato,parsley,mint,oregano and thyme,then theres the edible flowers garden tomatos,johny jump ups,mini rose,pansey's,garlic chives,dianthus,..... O,it's endless,I'll get off of here and thin of a really good one then i won't belive i dident remember or think of that combination I think the sidewalk linned with these would be beautiful,scented thymes,lemon,coconut,varigated,with mabie silver fir tomato?? Scented geraniums.....8) LoL i better stop