Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Your Favorite Tomatoes

I've been thinking about all the tomatoes we have grown this year. I'm trying to come up with a list of my favorite tomatoes so far. I would imagine every one of you have done something like that too. I will make a list of my family and friends' favorites that will become must-grow in seasons to come for them.

But this thread is about "Your" favorite tomatoes - the ones you grow for yourself. Add why they are your favorites if you like.

Mine so far are (In no certain order):

Medovaya Kaplya - Tastes VERY good, prolific.
Snow White - Sweet, Prolific
Matt's Wild Cherry - Needs a bed of its own.
Black Krim - Must-Grow, tastes great.
Porter - Still the best.
Sungold - Early DTM, Very productive, and interesting taste.
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue - Beautiful Prolific Tomato, Perks gardening conversations.
Spike - Smaller plant, Looks nice, tastes good, No BER - No Yellow leaf...
Pinky Blast - 2' tall - Plant 18" apart to match drip irrigation, tastes good.

There are two accidental crosses I would add to my list, but who knows what the F2s will be like. I am going to find out though. I have seeds fermenting now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Well, I havent tasted any yet(my first tomato will be a Better Boy which is getting red), but I am so impressed with Pruden's Purple.The 2 plants are making everything else look like dwarf plants(one is four feet tall).It has been hot and very humid here with a lot of rain(8 inches one night) that slowed most of the plants and even killed one,The only plants that were totally unaffected were the Prudens.Setting tomatoes in the humidity with no problem.Now if they just taste good I may have a new favorite
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're a little ahead of a lot of us other North Americans. I will have more to add in a few weeks when the rest of my other varieties have ripened.

So far, coming out of the high tunnel, my standout has been Cole. It is a very compact, beefsteak-shaped red saladette. It tastes like an old-fashioned red beefsteak heirloom, and was my first tomato of the year.

Gribovskiy, another red saladette, probably made my grow-again list also. It has a distinct and strong acid bite to it. I think it would be great in an actual salad.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #4
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Robert,
These are generally our favorite tomatoes:

Red Penna best taste for us, size
Texwine and Dixiewine size and shape, beautiful color, taste

Dester deep complex taste
Rebel Yell " " "
Daniel's assertive taste for a pink
McKinley a PL version from Marianna's, trying the RL from Tania this year, size, assertive
very productive

Cowlick's Brandywine great Brandywine taste,
Weisnicht's Ukrainian large, quite sweet (reminds me of Terhune, productive

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye sweet and assertive, beautiful color

Dana's Dusky Rose although I haven't grown this the last couple of years, a wine follow up taste
Indian Stripe a good all around black

Last edited by greyghost; June 20, 2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: format
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple and Black Krim for taste and disease tolerance. Mortgage Lifter and Arkansas Traveler for taste and productivity. Big Beef F1 is doing good this year in regards to disease tolerance, productivity and taste in that order. Better Boy F1 for productivity, disease tolerance and taste, but not growing this year. Still have high hopes for others that haven't ripened yet.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I'll try to keep this short. African Queen, Cherokee Purple, Bulgarian Old Sort, Tommy Toe Red, Sara's Galapagos, Matt's Wild Cherry, Mr. Stripey (Large Beefsteak), Golden Cherokee, Faworyt, Nepal, Blue Cherry, Huge Black, Krasnodar Titans, Herman's Special, Azoychka, Big Beef Hybrid, Empire Hybrid, all Brandywines, German Queen, Golden Dwarf Champion, Utyonok, Yukon Quest, Dwarf Kelly Green, Maiden's Fire, Maiden's Gold, Maiden's Pride, Rozalinda, Dwarf Summer Sunrise, Dwarf Sweet Sue, Sun Gold F1, and Liz Birt come to mind immediately.

I guess that would account for my "short list".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; June 21, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lol Ted, and a partridge in a pear tree
Old June 20, 2015   #8
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Slow growing here so can't say for sure. I know from past experience, Black from Tula and Neves Azorean Red. I started seeds for Dester but gave the plants away and I'm mad about that, so next year I have to manage my plant count better! I loved Aunt Gertie's Gold so much but it was difficult to grow so I didn't this year. Oh well, hopefully the toms are coming soon!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, so many varieties to choose from...
But so far, my favorites are: Black Krim (excellent taste), Azoychka (different, refreshing, plus early), Tarasenko Rozhevyi (out of this world! fruity, delicious)... and plenty of other black & yellow/oranges. I can't say definite favorites since there are many splendid choices.
I could say perhaps Mohamed because of the size - it can be grown indoors, and the taste isn't bad either provided there is enough of light.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Rubys German Green, Daniel Burson, Grightmires Pride, Wes, Cherokee Purple, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Sungold F1, Sakharnyi Pudovichok, Fred's Tie Dye, Perth Pride, Little Lucky(X10!!!!)
And so many more.....
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #11
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

My top 3:
1. Brandywine
2. Ramapo
3. Granny's Heart
Old June 20, 2015   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nothing ripe yet in my garden. But out of 32 varieties about 10 have fruits and majority are setting. I have about 6 returns which are, of course, my favorites already:

--- CP, Ananas Noire, Siletz, Legend, Red Cherry, Yellow cherry, JBT.

Out of close to 25 new tries I have heavy hopefuls but to early to call. A sample are:

Azoychka, Black frm Tula, Big Beef, Big Rainbow, Brandy Boy, Purple Heart ...

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #13
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

No tomatoes yet this year, but last year besides my own cross now at f7, which is hands down the best tasting red I tried, I really liked Aunt Gertie, Crnkovic, Druzba and Azoichka. All not really sweet varieties with great strong taste. Gotta try Brandywine one day.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #14
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

Not counting this year, as there are some well thought of "new to me" varieties in the garden, my favorites over the past five growing seasons that yield consistent results regardless of the weather are:

Dester(Pierce)- outstanding flavor, good disease resistance, average to good production, mid-season

Texwine(Mariseeds)- outstanding balanced flavor, compact plants that yield nice sized red fruit, ideal for small gardens, long dtm but worth the wait

Brandywine-Cowlicks Nursery(Blue Ribbon) classic brandywine flavor, good production for my growing zone(7b), mid-season
Old June 21, 2015   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Texwine is one I will be growing next year.