Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2015   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A lot of varieties growing fruit, but Sungold was the first ripe followed by Matt's Wild Cherry, Russian Mini Yellow, and Juliet.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #32
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Well an unknown black tomato has taken the taste test lead. They always do down here. Cherokee purple is the tomato that got our family on the heirloom tomato journey.
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #33
peekers
Tomatovillian™

First Mate
peekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2015   #34
travis
Tomatovillian™

The two first-to-set fruit, non-cherry tomato plants for me this year were (Malachite Box x NC1-CELBR) x (Cherokee Purple x Summerpink), and (Cherokee Purple x Summerpink) x (Michael Pollan x Kozula #139).
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #35
charline
Tomatovillian™

my first fruit showing was on Russian 117
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #36
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

first was costoluto genovese for me and the san marzano bush was only 48 hours later
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #37
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

I hadn't heard anything remarkable about the Omars Lebanese, but it was already in the ground when I started reading about it. I have to say it is really doing well for me. It seems to be setting fruit on every blossom.

[IMG][/IMG]
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #38
bower
Tomatovillian™

My F2's have beat the OP's across the board. First OP to set is Bursztyn. And an extra "Little Bells" was found to have two fruit on it, still in the beer cup! Tolerant of small spaces? I like it...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #39
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Gatorguy- these tomatoes get absolutely enormous! And taste really good too, like the classic tomato. I had several in the 2-3 lb range last year. I planted it per Carolyn's recommendation in her book, and I haven't been disappointed. You had better have an 8 foot stake too, these guys shoot for the skies!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #40
flgatorguy87
Tomatovillian™

I've been cutting saplings and using that to stake my tomatoes. I can cut saplings as long as I need to, but that's really good to hear. I love a classic tomato taste with a good pop of acidity.

Do they need any support for the actual fruit? If mine keeps setting like it looks like I might have 6-8 on a trellis.
flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2015   #41
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

When do you plant out??? Do you have a greenhouse? I know you're zone 7, but I don't starting planting out until May 20th -- (and between the 10th and 15th would be the earliest I would consider.) Not until about the 20th would I be in the 90th percentile for frost free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksCountyGirl View Post
Stupice, as it does every single year I grow it! This was taken on 5/10/2015.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015   #42
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Taxi and Lemon Boy were both the earliest with setting well over 15 fruits (and now setting for a second time due to our cool May). Cherokee Purple and Black from Tula both set around 12-15. Moonglow is around 10-12, Pink Vernissage, 10-12, and my mystery tomato that looks like Black Plum has blown through the garden with a good 15 picked so far and another 10-15 setting. It's 109 today so I suppose the garden will be biting the dust very soon...
Old June 2, 2015   #43
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgatorguy87 View Post
I've been cutting saplings and using that to stake my tomatoes. I can cut saplings as long as I need to, but that's really good to hear. I love a classic tomato taste with a good pop of acidity.

Do they need any support for the actual fruit? If mine keeps setting like it looks like I might have 6-8 on a trellis.
Your truss that you show cannot handle the weight of these tomatoes. I buy that green Vigoro Velcro strap tape from Home Depot, and hang the trusses from the tomato basket for support.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #44
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Kimberley has nice sizable tomato from container set out early. Surprisingly, Russian Soul in the garden has the biggest green fruit out of the rest. Go figure. But translated Russkaya Dusha was bred for lousy climate. We did not not have good spring this year.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #45
swamper
Tomatovillian™

bloody butcher, with utnayok as the first dwarf to set fruit. betines macbeth is also in the running.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote