Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2015   #1
Dangit
Tomatovillian™

Default Hummingbird moth

Hi all,

Just was talking to friend about tomato horn worms. I've been on their 'must do' list for over 30 years, so am fairly well versed in dealing with them. Love me some BT. But......

I had never seen the moth that these things turn into until this year. No kidding, they must be every where around my home. They are probably flying in formation readying to swoop right this minute, but they have avoided detection completely until I saw one buzzing a cactus flower in my front yard.

What cool bugs. Hummingbird moth. They really do fly just like hummers, and it freaked out my wife.

How come I've never seen one til now?? (I don't expect an answer) Now I'm looking for them, and still can't find any. Seems weird to me anyway.

Dangit
Dangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #2
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

They are pretty cool, much cooler than the worm!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #3
Dangit
Tomatovillian™

WAY cooler than the worm!!
Old June 28, 2015   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

not all sphinx moths are from tomato hornworm caterpillars. there are numerous species of what are known as hummingbird moth
agree, they are interesting creatures
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If you Google the Sphinx Moth you will find that there are many different kinds of them. The most common is the White lined Sphinx which can be amazing to watch when they are out in big numbers. The only one that will harm your plants is the Tomato Horn Worm. All of the others are very innocent to your gardens and are a lot of fun to watch.

Do not be alarmed!

Enjoy!
Old June 28, 2015   #6
Dangit
Tomatovillian™

I'm just curious if the rest of you see them all the time. They must be EVERYWHERE judging by the sheer numbers of worms I usually get on my plants. In my life I have seen only ONE that I know of. There should at least be some dead ones around.

The weird thing is, this year so far, no worms. But I've seen one moth.

Dangit , I'm clueless
Old June 28, 2015   #7
Dangit
Tomatovillian™

MissS,

I'm not alarmed, I'm confused. Where are they?

Do you see them often? Anyone else in Southern Ca see them around?

Dangit
Old June 28, 2015   #8
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

You might try looking more after dusk. One week last summer, I had gone outside with a flashlight to check the ponds and looked into the area around the pond that had a bunch of penstemon in full bloom. I was amazed at the number of what looked like hummingbirds. I even checked the CSU extension website to see what they were and there was a picture of a whitelined sphinx, a type of hummingbird moth, feeding on a penstemon flower. Within a 80 square foot area, I must have counted over 30 of these moths. Now whether or not this was the type of moth that lays eggs that turn into hornworms, I don't know, but I found only a couple of hornworms on my tomatoes(70+) with no damage noted anywhere. This years abundance of rain prevented viewing the same thing again. So maybe explore a little when it gets dark...

George

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Dangit, The moths that I see flying in large numbers here are the White-lined Sphinx which do not feed on tomatoes. I see them a bit later in the year here in Wisconsin. I found the big rush is in late July through the beginning of September. They begin flying around dusk.
I do not see huge numbers of them every year. When I do it is awesome! Last year we had very few. I think that I only saw 2, while the year before I could see 50 at a time. The larvae of these make their pupae underground to survive the winter. If you have a hard winter and many animals that feed on grubs and such, you will have lower numbers.
To draw these lovely moths into your yard try planting some fragrant tubular flowers. Nicotiana, petunias, cuphea, penstemon and pinks.
Old June 28, 2015   #10
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
They begin flying around dusk.
This is also when I would see them when living in Wisconsin.
This one I photographed I believe had recently emerged from the container the tom was in(I had used soil from a nearby wooded lot). I watched it sit there for hours and right at dusk it took flight.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #11
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

I am a little hesitant to say anything, (don't want to jinx myself), but I have never had a tomato hornworm on my plants. I remember when my dad had them in his garden but not a large amount. I have had a garden in my current location for 15 years and never seen one.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #12
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

We caught a sphinx moth last year, so were able to identify it as definitely the moth that turns into tomato hornworms. I had never seen one before either. I saw him in the morning and he fluttered off. At first, I did think it was a hummingbird. Later that same day, there he (or another of the same type) was laying on the ground looking stunned. We easily picked him up and put him into a container. I usually don't find many hornworms in my garden, but who knows? Every year is different! I'm going to go out at dusk and look around from now on.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #13
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

I am so glad that not all sphinx moths are from tomato horn worm caterpillars. They are fascinating to watch, almost worth losing some tomatoes over almost. My favorite sphinx types are not from tomato horn worms. But the the one that was flitting around my petunias yesterday was. Oh well I prefer to identify first shoot later. I have a bearded dragon so have a ready disposal for any insects I can find.

Last edited by Jeanus; June 30, 2015 at 06:16 AM. Reason: miss spell
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote