Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 29, 2016   #1
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Default Darn mouse!! Back to square one....

8 days ago I planted seed for 18 varieties - 4 seed each and have been impatiently waiting ever since... Until today that is. Over the weekend I noticed what looked like small pieces of stem in one of the seed trays but didn't think too much of it, as I hadn't noticed any sprouting. Looking closer, I also noted signs of germination with multiple little seed heads beginning to emerge. OK, I thought, this program is fixing to get underway! Yahoo.

Fast forward to this morning -- nothing / nada / zilch. Where yesterday there were sprouts, today there is nothing - one little wilted tomatoling cast aside out of the tray and several dug up holes.

War has been declared - I'm stopping on the way home for traps - sticky and otherwise. Would bring out the bait, but am afraid the "Mouser - who me?" will get into it, or eat of the bait eaters.

At the same time, I'm going to start again with hopefully a better outcome. With luck, I'll have something to plant.
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #2
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Good luck. Same happened to me last year. My light stand this year is surrounded by traps. It's really maddening to get up in the morning and there's nothing where the day before there were dozens of seedlings. Also might have shed a tear or two.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

glue glue glue traps!!!!
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree, glue traps.

We have a cat that I thought - we won't have mice. Then I caught the cat trying to lay on the seedlings.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #5
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I agree, glue traps.

We have a cat that I thought - we won't have mice. Then I caught the cat trying to lay on the seedlings.
LOL. Thats why I kept the cat locked out of that room. From the frying pan into the fire Glue traps coming up!
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Get snap traps and bait them with rolos or tootsie rolls. It works spectacular! glue traps I can't find it in my heart to use. I hate mice, but I can't glue trap them either. Snap traps are pretty fast to kill them. If it is any consolation... You aren't the only one... I had a mouse in my greenhouse this season already diggin up my seeds and eating them. I have a tray of impatiens... 100 seeds and about 10 seedlings emerged. I think it ate all the rest. but now it is dead. I trapped it and donated it to the neighbors snake.

Last edited by clkeiper; February 29, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #7
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Use something with a fixed top over it so the mice can't get to it when the seeds are germinating! They don't need light at that time, just heat and moisture.

You can even germinate them in a damp napkin or coffee filter put in a baggie inside a drawer or a gun safe (if you think the mice are that determined)! When they sprout, then put them into soil and you probably won't have an issue if you wiggle the seed helmets off first.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #8
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

A Victor mouse trap baited with a single grain of corn, will catch every mouse in the house. Just wedge the kernel of corn under the teeth on the bait peddle. I caught more than a dozen one fall and never re-baited the trap!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #9
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Glue is cruel I agree, although you do hear 'em as soon as they get stuck. You just need to help them along, cervical dislocation/decapitation is pretty fast.
Old February 29, 2016   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

While cleaning up outside the other day I killed two with the heal of my boot.
They have ruined the wiring in one of my trucks and it wont start now.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Glue is cruel I agree, although you do hear 'em as soon as they get stuck. You just need to help them along, cervical dislocation/decapitation is pretty fast.
Yes. The animal rights people hate glue traps, because no one will kill the mouse when they pick up the trap. Take it outside, fold it in half, and stomp on it. That's the humane thing to do.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I hate glue traps all my neighbor lady catches with them is little harmless snakes and lizards.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #13
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've got a hefty karmic debt with Mus musculus.
Old February 29, 2016   #14
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

New traps made of plastic on the Victor design, only with a bigger trigger pan work really well also, I'd post a pic but I just have a heck of a time on an IPad ... I'll upload the pic, hit close this window (after its uploaded) and then it won't do anything
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2016   #15
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I hate glue traps all my neighbor lady catches with them is little harmless snakes and lizards.

Worth
+1
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote