Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old January 17, 2009   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Is there any info on the SETTFest this year? I have to give alot of notice in summer expecially if it is on my weekend to work
Kat
Old January 17, 2009   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

We're about 97% sure that it will be June 13th.

Having it closer to the 20th in 2008 didn't have the desired effect, and the 7th would be way too early.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 19, 2009   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Great I looked ahead and found out that is my weekend off. I do work that Friday night though, SO most likely I owuld come all loopy from lack of sleep. What time do you usually have it and where is it going to be? I might try to see if I can get off on that Friday as well.
Old January 19, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Glad you'll be able to make it! I'm guessing we'll have over 100 tomato varieties represented. Come hungry.

Probably around Noon on Saturday afternoon. It will be close to Columbus, New Ulm, Washington, etc. Haven't got the location nailed down yet.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old January 20, 2009   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that'd be 210 - 250 miles from me! Don't know if I'd be able to make that kind of a trip anymore.
Old February 1, 2009   #6
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

I thought that the last place that we had it was really nice. That was a beautiful park. It was a little bit of a hike for us but we just made a weekend out of it and had a really good time.
Old February 6, 2009   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Texas is a large state and trying to find a good date for such an event is like the ring toss at a carnival.
It would be even harder for someone to pick a good place to have it that would be fair to all of the people that live in different parts of Texas.

Here is a map of Colorado county Texas and its relation to the rest of the state.

I didn't make it last year because I had business in Austin and I just got off a plane after being up for 37 hours without sleep.
I looked at the calender and I found myself in Alaska at the date this year.(I think)

As big as Texas is I just don't see how one tomato event could possibly cover the state and all of the growing seasons we have.

Worth
Old February 6, 2009   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It's official. SETTFest 2009 will return to Washington on the Brazos State Park on Saturday, June 13, 2009.

It's 75 miles from Houston.
It's 106 miles from Austin.
It's 178 miles from San Antonio.
It's 196 miles from Dallas.

SETTFest 2007 was in Columbus, TX.

Columbus is 74 miles from Houston.
Columbus is 113 miles from Austin.
Columbus is 125 miles from Houston.
Columbus is 241 miles from Houston.

If there was one place with decent facilities that was < 2 hours for all 4 cities, I'd say let's go. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Old February 6, 2009   #9
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
It's official. SETTFest 2009 will return to Washington on the Brazos State Park on Saturday, June 13, 2009.

It's 75 miles from Houston.
It's 106 miles from Austin.
It's 178 miles from San Antonio.
It's 196 miles from Dallas.

SETTFest 2007 was in Columbus, TX.

Columbus is 74 miles from Houston.
Columbus is 113 miles from Austin.
Columbus is 125 miles from Houston.
Columbus is 241 miles from Houston.

If there was one place with decent facilities that was < 2 hours for all 4 cities, I'd say let's go. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Wow! Houston sure was on the move back in 2007
Old February 6, 2009   #10
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Your right Worth, Texas needs to have about half a dozen or more to cover the whole state. SETTFest is all that we have for now that I know of. I have enjoyed both of them and look forward to many more. Even if we had one right here in the area I think I would still make the trip every year to SETTFest.
Old February 15, 2009   #11
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Where would one go to volunteer to help out....I'm close and plan on attending but would be more than happy to help out anyway I can!!

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Old February 16, 2009   #12
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Here is the website.
http://www.settfest.com/
Old May 13, 2009   #13
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Well we are about a month away from SETTFest 2009. Who all is planning on attending? What varieties do you think you will have by then. My most promising variety right now is Black Crim although some of the fruit has BER I am hoping to have enough good fruit to bring. Another is Roma Rapheal. Black Cherry. Yellow Peach. In a month from now who knows. Time to start downloading flyers and putting them out at nurseries other places tomato lovers may be.
Old May 14, 2009   #14
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure planning on being there and looking forward to it. I'm disappointed that I do not have one mater to ripen yet. I should have been eating maters a week ago. Hopefully if they start to ripen I'll be bringing Dona, Black Prince, Green Zebra, Tigerella, Carbon and Kellogg Breakfast. I may bring some old standards like Celebrity, Homestead, Florida 91, Brandy Boy and Solar along with me. Cant wait to make this one!

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Old May 14, 2009   #15
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I am hoping I can come. I am not sure what will be ripe. I am thinking that Kosovo, White Queen, Sungold, and black cherry. I might have Tsar kolokol and Danko. I am too new at this to really know how to tell when they are going to change. I have about 45 different varities so odds are good I might have something
Kat