Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old April 23, 2013   #31
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

We need to organize a NWOTFEST (Northwest Ontario tomato fest), eh? It really should
be somewhere somewhat central for Kenora, Ft.Frances and Thunderbay and have boat
access. Early tomatoes would get priority as we have normally a short season (this year, the
season looks to be about three weeks). I am willing to lecture on "how to garden on floating
docks", "how to transport tomato plants 2000 miles" and other salient and in-demand topics.
Old April 24, 2013   #32
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Chiming in here folks. Has anyone thought about doing something in the Killeen area?Right now I have only 4 varieties Cherokee Purple,Eva Purple Ball ,Mortgage Lifter and Better Boy. Once I get more established here I should have a nice selection of varieties from USA,Italy,Russia,Ukraine,Iraq,Mexico,France etc.If we can get something going around here I would love to attend.

Kevin
Old April 24, 2013   #33
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post
The only issue I see with this is that people who had a bad year, live in apartments, or for whatever reason, don't have tomatoes to spare will be discouraged from attending. How about "Bring tomatoes or donation". A donation should be something like $10/family.

Each group is certainly encouraged to determine the procedures that best fit for them, however I do not recommend this method at all. This is how Tomoatopalooza[tm] has gone
for the past 10 years. While we haven't required a donation, folks not bringing tomatoes have been encouraged to help offset the costs with a donation.
Here's why this doesn't work for our situation.
We usually have 120~180 folks come.
Generally, the week before, I and Craig will only know of 3
or 4 folks committed to bringing tomatoes. Maybe 15~20%
commit to bringing tomatoes, but as you say, "bad years" happen and it's only 5~10% that do.
That doesn't relieve any pressure for myself or Craig to figure
out how to bring enough tomatoes for the expected 120~180 people! Thus we get stuck with the unenjoyable task of collecting as many of our tomatoes from multiple garden sources to bring. Someone bringing a $10 donation doesn't
fix that problem at all.
This is not to say that we haven't had great participation from a number of Tomatovillians. We have regulars that come from hours away each year, and I enjoy seeing all of them!

However, I do think the CHOPTAG model is the best for long
term sustainability of these tomato tasting events unless you
have a sponsor (ie. farm) that is willing/able to supply the tomatoes each year.

Just my .02,

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old April 24, 2013   #34
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the plug Lee.

We’ve been pretty successful at our Taste Fest over the years. We’ve had people come and go but we seem to maintain enough folks, and tomatoes, to keep us going. I doubt we’ll ever get to the number of attendees that Tomatopalooza, or some of the other gatherings have, but we always have more tomatoes than I can sample.

We do ask people to bring food if they can’t bring tomatoes but we don’t have a bouncer at the door. And I’m too busy sampling toms to care if someone comes empty handed. Plus, most folks bring tomatoes and food so there is plenty to go around.
Old April 25, 2013   #35
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Christy,

I will let you know closer to the date-- if I can attend and/or contribute. This cold spring has caused some planting grief. I have had a few cherries for the last month and one larger turning red. I will pm you.

VP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.2 KB, 9 views)
Old April 25, 2013   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just call SYSCO for the tomatoes.
They will be more than happy to bring a truck load.

Worth
Old April 25, 2013   #37
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I needed that today. Thanks for the giggle.
Old April 25, 2013   #38
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just call SYSCO for the tomatoes.
They will be more than happy to bring a truck load.

Worth
LOL.
Old April 25, 2013   #39
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone thought about asking HEB to sponsor an event? Couldn't hurt to ask.

Kevin
Old April 25, 2013   #40
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
Has anyone thought about asking HEB to sponsor an event? Couldn't hurt to ask.

Kevin
I think it would then have to be official with health inspection, certified kitchen, and a food handler's license before any tomatoes can be cut.

A typical pavilion/state park charges $75-125. That's 15-25 people donating $5 each.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old May 7, 2013   #41
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Haven't been on here for a while. Just noticed all the activity on the SETTFest thread. I'll be happy to come and bring what tomatoes I can if I can make it. I just can't be in a position to be on the hook to be one of the responsible parties to make it happen. That's what happened in 2012. I have so many irons in the fire that can demand my attention without warning that it's hard for me too commit to another responsibility. You really have to have a committee to pull something like this off. These days everybody has very busy lives. I heard CheckerKitty mention June 15th. I'd have to check all my calendars but right now that seems doable.
Old May 10, 2013   #42
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Just a quick follow-up, tasting date is still June 15th. I'll be having this event at my house in San Antonio. More info to follow......