Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 26, 2016   #61
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Hi fellow Hoosier,
I'm located 30 mi. E of Indy . Each yr. I plant a little later to avoid early blight ect. This yr. I waited till June, still not a good yr. Planted celebrity and big beef. Are any of the varieties you listed less likley to contract early, late blight and septoria wilt, that would be good for canning? Thanks, rockman
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #62
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
Hi fellow Hoosier,
I'm located 30 mi. E of Indy . Each yr. I plant a little later to avoid early blight ect. This yr. I waited till June, still not a good yr. Planted celebrity and big beef. Are any of the varieties you listed less likley to contract early, late blight and septoria wilt, that would be good for canning? Thanks, rockman
Do you fungicide regularly ? I do every 10 to 15 days. It is like insurance premium.

Your best bet is to prevent it rather than trying to fight it which often a lost effort.
OTOH, if there is a wide spread epidemic of blight in the area probably your plants are doomed. There are varieties that might do better.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #63
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi fellow Hoosier,
HI rockman! I am about 100 miles south of you. You are definitely on the right track with Big Beef and Celebrity as they are 2 of the most resistant to disease. A later start is also a plus in that cool and wet conditions are breeding grounds for disease. Still if you have wet cloudy weather you can still have a lot of problems. Spraying with a fungicide like daconil or copper will help protect them until they are able to ripen some fruit. I have sprayed with daconil every 7 to 10 days the last couple of years and plan to add copper to the mix this year. There are other products that would be more organic if that's what you are looking for. A good mulch is also a huge plus to prevent splashing of infected soil on the plants. I used black plastic last year. Last I would say that the healthier the plants are the better they will be able to ward off disease or at least tolerate it long enough to get them to produce. There are a lot of good fertilizers out there and also amending with composted manure will help them get off to a good start. Hope any of that helps. Happy gardening!
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #64
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gardeneer and Hoosier
I have used daconil and cooper. Try to re-apply after rains. Plants look good with nice size fruit, then when just start to turn plant goes down hill. Garden is located 40' from a 25' wide creek in a low valley with woods on 3 sides. I believe my fungi is mostly airborne. I have used elevated grow boxes with pot soil and have same results. I have spaced cages 4' for air flow. I did notice this yr. a late june volunteer that went till frost. Tomatoes are the only crop I haven't mastered in our sandy creek bottom. And yes I have harvested beets wearing hip waders! Rockman
Old December 27, 2016   #65
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Gardeneer and Hoosier
I have used daconil and cooper. Try to re-apply after rains. Plants look good with nice size fruit, then when just start to turn plant goes down hill. Garden is located 40' from a 25' wide creek in a low valley with woods on 3 sides. I believe my fungi is mostly airborne. I have used elevated grow boxes with pot soil and have same results. I have spaced cages 4' for air flow. I did notice this yr. a late june volunteer that went till frost. Tomatoes are the only crop I haven't mastered in our sandy creek bottom. And yes I have harvested beets wearing hip waders! Rockman
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. We have had lousy weather the last several years so hopefully things will straighten out for you. Those woods probably restrict airflow so that will make it a little tougher.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #66
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you start spraying too late. I would start spraying for the time I take my seedlings/plant outside for hardening off. And then go on with my schedule. This way you won;t give the fungi the opportunity to multiply. One the plant is infested , it will be tough to get rid of them.
JMO

Happy Gardening !
Old December 28, 2016   #67
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

For me, since I don't have much land, I'm only growing a few varieties:

1. Rebel Yell
2. Girl Girl's Weird Thing
3. Terhune, competition seed
4. Dotson's Lebanese Heart
5. Early Girl
6. Brandywine OTV

Can't wait to get started!!

Happy New Year to all my new Tomatoville friends

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #68
rockman
Tomatovillian™

About the restricted air flow. Because of the dreaded ash borer I started this week taking out about 50 ash trees which total about 1/4 of our trees. My 1923 aermotor windmill will catch a little more wind now and hopefully help the tomato plants too. I wasn't treating plants until planting in garden, so I will make that change, thanks Gardeneer. I hope to give you and Hoosier some positive feedback next spring. thanks, rockman
Old December 28, 2016   #69
ACEBUGGIES
Tomatovillian™

Default Second Year Grower

So I only grew a few plants last season which means 2017 will be a lot of fun... perhaps somewhat of a disaster LOL. I have my seeds ordered and finalized my list of tomatoes and peppers...everything really I suppose. Holy Cow I am one excited new gardener!!

Toms:
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Golden Jubilee
Kellogg's Breakfast
Marglobe Supreme
Mortgage Lifter
& Rutgers

Pepps:
Banana Pepper
Estaceno Chili Pepp
Jalapeno Pepp
Jimmy Nardello Pepp
Pepperoncini Pepp
Red Beligain Pepp

Okay I am going to tell you more because I can't stop myself...
Squash Winter: Spaghetti & Greek Sweet Red
Summer: Yellow Crookneck & Dark Green Zuchhini
Kentucky Wonder Pole & Purple Podded Pole Beans
Sugar Ann Snap & Little Marvel Garden Peas
A Ground Cherry plant
Mustard, Lettuce mix of seeds
Hoping to do radishes, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic & cole crops (have all of the seeds except the potato and garlic)
A horde of herbs as well and lovely flowers

I am in hot, humid, crazy weather NE Kansas. So, being new, this should be an interesting year as to what actually gets planted; still much work to do on the garden. I have researched my as* off the past year but any advice or comments are welcomed. Whatever, just throw it my way especially considering I have never grown most of these plants which means I haven't even eaten many of them before Hoping they are tasty. I'm thinking the chickens are gonna love them some garden yummies this summer.
ACEBUGGIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #70
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

AceBuggies, your selections sound delicious. We have similar taste in peppers and squash, beans, and lettuce.

I grew spaghetti squash 2 years ago. I got a decent yield considering I had never grown a squash other than Zucchini before. I wasn't prepared for the way they ran all over my yard. Next time I know to give them something to climb on. The squash bugs were everywhere! They (the squash, not the bugs) tasted great and lasted a month or so in storage. They may have kept even better if I stored my harvest some place cooler than my living room.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #71
ACEBUGGIES
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyToes View Post
AceBuggies, your selections sound delicious. We have similar taste in peppers and squash, beans, and lettuce.

I grew spaghetti squash 2 years ago. I got a decent yield considering I had never grown a squash other than Zucchini before. I wasn't prepared for the way they ran all over my yard. Next time I know to give them something to climb on. The squash bugs were everywhere! They (the squash, not the bugs) tasted great and lasted a month or so in storage. They may have kept even better if I stored my harvest some place cooler than my living room.
MuddyToes how many spaghetti squash plants did you plant, I'm curious and oblivious to how many fruits per plant I could get. HAHA It may help slightly if you stored them in a cooler place although according to my research a month is about their storage time frame anyway.
Old December 29, 2016   #72
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEBUGGIES View Post
So I only grew a few plants last season which means 2017 will be a lot of fun... perhaps somewhat of a disaster LOL. I have my seeds ordered and finalized my list of tomatoes and peppers...everything really I suppose. Holy Cow I am one excited new gardener!!

Toms:
Black Cherry
Black Krim
Golden Jubilee
Kellogg's Breakfast
Marglobe Supreme
Mortgage Lifter
& Rutgers

Pepps:
Banana Pepper
Estaceno Chili Pepp
Jalapeno Pepp
Jimmy Nardello Pepp
Pepperoncini Pepp
Red Beligain Pepp

Okay I am going to tell you more because I can't stop myself...
Squash Winter: Spaghetti & Greek Sweet Red
Summer: Yellow Crookneck & Dark Green Zuchhini
Kentucky Wonder Pole & Purple Podded Pole Beans
Sugar Ann Snap & Little Marvel Garden Peas
A Ground Cherry plant
Mustard, Lettuce mix of seeds
Hoping to do radishes, onions, carrots, potatoes, garlic & cole crops (have all of the seeds except the potato and garlic)
A horde of herbs as well and lovely flowers

I am in hot, humid, crazy weather NE Kansas. So, being new, this should be an interesting year as to what actually gets planted; still much work to do on the garden. I have researched my as* off the past year but any advice or comments are welcomed. Whatever, just throw it my way especially considering I have never grown most of these plants which means I haven't even eaten many of them before Hoping they are tasty. I'm thinking the chickens are gonna love them some garden yummies this summer.
I have 5 of your tomato and 4 of your pepper varieties in my list too.
Good selection.

Happy Gardening !
Old December 29, 2016   #73
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEBUGGIES View Post
MuddyToes how many spaghetti squash plants did you plant, I'm curious and oblivious to how many fruits per plant I could get. HAHA It may help slightly if you stored them in a cooler place although according to my research a month is about their storage time frame anyway.
I'm trying to remember how many I planted (my brain is getting old). I think I put about 2 or 3 in the ground. And then they had babies Every place a stem touched the ground it put out roots. I don't even know how many root systems I pulled up at the end of the season. I got at least 8 or 10 good squash. About half succumbed to squash bugs and rotted on the vine. I've since read that you can harvest before they are fully ripe and let them "cure" off the vine.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #74
ACEBUGGIES
Tomatovillian™

Ohh Gardeneer sounds like we are on the same wave length hehehe. Are these varieties you have grown before, if so what do you think of them?...I suppose if you have before and are growing again you must like them lol.
Old December 29, 2016   #75
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I spent almost a week of researching pepper varieties for the 2017 gardens. This one grows better in the mountains in 80 degree weather, and that one is best grown up north... etc.

I finally got a list written and ask my wife if she wants to look at it and make choices. She then says, "Surprise me" ....... She never says that. I could have thrown the seed packs in a hat and just grabbed a handful. SURPRISE
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote