Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2015   #1
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Default What is making a return to your garden in 2016?

Hi Everyone,

I have my favorite varieties of the ones I've tried so far (which honeslty I haven't tried that many) but wondering which ones you have tried that you absolutely love and will be making a return to your garden again. Not the so so ones that you are giving a second try, but the ones that you really feel like you couldn't live without.

Mine are... Black Cherry (if I could only have one tomato plant this would be the one so far because it's early, delicious, super productive so I don't feel like I'm always waiting on it to ripen, and good in anything), Sungold, Pink Berkely Tie Dye, and Girl Girl's Weird Thing.

But I am trying a BUNCH of new ones this Fall season and in the Spring so my list might change.

Always looking for new favorites so wondering what yours are?

Also, I've been really busy so if there is a very recent post just like this one, just let me know!

Ginny in Florida
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Slugs and stink bugs.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #3
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Slugs and stink bugs.

Worth

Hahahaha.... that's a given!!

Ginny in Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #4
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

...and Early Blight along with Gray Mold to keep me busy.

Actually, I have so many varieties competing for next year (including some breading efforts for others) that currently only two varieties from this year are on my return list:
  • An unknown Yellow tomato that is tasty (maybe Tasmanian Blushing Yellow?)
  • Blue Berries Cherry from Brad Gates (the only Blue tomato that I've found that doesn't taste like crap)
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #5
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond007 View Post
...and Early Blight along with Gray Mold to keep me busy.

Actually, I have so many varieties competing for next year (including some breading efforts for others) that currently only two varieties from this year are on my return list:
  • An unknown Yellow tomato that is tasty (maybe Tasmanian Blushing Yellow?)
  • Blue Berries Cherry from Brad Gates (the only Blue tomato that I've found that doesn't taste like crap)
Oh cool! I bought Blue Berries from WBF last year but didn't plant them or try them just due to lack of space. Maybe I will have to add them to my Fall list!!

Thank you!

Ginny in Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #6
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

"Yellow Dwarf" - supposed to be Rosella Crimson but was yellow and a winner in our household tastings.
Stump of the World
Boondocks
George Detsikas Italian Red - very prolific and tasty
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Red Barn
Prudens Purple
Mortgage Lifter Estlers
Lucky Cross
Fruity Cherry

Adding
Great Divide
Margaret Curtain

Iffy at best
KBX
Orange Minsk
Chocolate Champion

Doubtful
Royal Hillbilly
Cherokee Purple
Rutgers
Old August 31, 2015   #7
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
"Yellow Dwarf" - supposed to be Rosella Crimson but was yellow and a winner in our household tastings.
Stump of the World
Boondocks
George Detsikas Italian Red - very prolific and tasty
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Red Barn
Prudens Purple
Mortgage Lifter Estlers
Lucky Cross
Fruity Cherry

Adding
Great Divide
Margaret Curtain

Iffy at best
KBX
Orange Minsk
Chocolate Champion

Doubtful
Royal Hillbilly
Cherokee Purple
Rutgers
Oh great list! I am growing Margaret Curtain, KBX and Orange Minsk for the first time this fall. I am only returning Cherokee Purple for my neighbor because it is his favorite tomato and if I don't his feelings will be hurt, but doesn't have enough tartness or tangyness (not sure the correct terminology) for me.

Thanks for posting your list!!

Ginny in Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #8
kevenson
Tomatovillian™

I have planted 3 Sun Gold for the past 4 years and they will be in my small raised garden again because they are delicious, prolific, and ripen early. I do not need 3 plants bur my neighbors and friends do. Of the 7 other varieties that I have planted, the one I am most impressed with is big beef. I only planted one this year as a trial but there will be at least 3 next year. I am so pleased with the taste and number of tomatoes. We had a hot and dry year in NW Montana which is good tomato weather if you are irrigating and feeding your plants but oh, the fire smoke. All my small garden did well except my onions and I think that is the source of the young plants.
kevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #9
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenson View Post
I have planted 3 Sun Gold for the past 4 years and they will be in my small raised garden again because they are delicious, prolific, and ripen early. I do not need 3 plants bur my neighbors and friends do. Of the 7 other varieties that I have planted, the one I am most impressed with is big beef. I only planted one this year as a trial but there will be at least 3 next year. I am so pleased with the taste and number of tomatoes. We had a hot and dry year in NW Montana which is good tomato weather if you are irrigating and feeding your plants but oh, the fire smoke. All my small garden did well except my onions and I think that is the source of the young plants.
Same here! Fortunately one of my neighbors that fell in love with Sungold is growing 6 plants for the fall... enough for everybody... :-)

I have started Big Beef seeds the last two growing seasons, but due to having to trim down which ones I planted out, I have never grown them out. I will have to make room for them, especially for my neighbors that only like red tomatoes. I've been wanting to try Big Beef forever.

Ginny in Florida
Old August 31, 2015   #10
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I have to downsize my garden tremendously next year. It pains me to be only able to grow a few. I am sure it will change, but these are what I have planned right now.

Sweet Aperitif
Rideau Sweet
Sun Sugar
Sun Gold
Snow White
Black Krim
Pomodora Pink
NPS (Not Purple Strawberry)
Rebel Yell
Cherokee Lime... This will be new to me....
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #11
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Funny you should ask...I was working on my 2016 list.

Will do: (these are winners for me)
1. Cherokee Purple 2. Brandywine Cowlick's 3. Big Beef 4. Black Cherry 5. Stump of the World

Saying bye-bye to: 1. Black Prince 2.Polish Dwarf 3. Williamette 4. Box Car Willie (not sure-marginal) 5. Brandy Boy (2 plants were marginal for me...expected more)

Next year's newbies: 1. Rosella Purple 2. New Big Dwarf 3. Black from Tula ?

Considering (comments welcome): 1. Park's Whopper 2. Yukon Quest (dwarf) 3. Blush (dwarf)
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #12
naseer
Tomatovillian™

4x Pink Berkeley Tie Dye (first time this year and our new favorite)
4x Cherokee Purple (our favorite before that)
2x Sun Gold (obviously)

The remaining 10 plants will be new varieties that we've never tried before. Had my eye on Black Cherry for a while so maybe next year is the year we finally try it.
naseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2015   #13
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

I only have room for about 8 plants in my raised beds. These are my favorites, and will be grown every year......

Sun Sugar
Big Beef
Black Cherry
Juane Flamme
Break O'Day
Yellow 1884 Pinkheart

That leaves me two spots to try new varieties. I haven't decided yet if I'll grow Cherokee Green again this year. It's very tempting, because it was excellent.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #14
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Most of my room will be taken up by my crosses but I really liked the George D. Italian red so I will grow that again for certain. Other than that, The jury is still out on what else to grow in 2016
Hoping to have some PL cherry F2's to fool around with as well.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #15
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Old favorite: Pruden's Purple

New favorites:
Carbon Copy and Kiss the Sky are my two favorite cherries this year. Love them both! Will have to do more extensive testing. Both are black cherries.

Sweet Ozark Orange was sweet, luscious, and creamy. Most of the plants in that garden are succumbing to mildew, and SOO has produced only one or two fruits, but it was so good it's guaranteed a spot next year.

Green Tiger is my partner's fave, and i love it too. Sweet and flavorful, and much more productive than anything else in the mildew-ridden garden.

I planted late in a couple other gardens, and those plants are still healthy, so there may be more favorites yet this year.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; September 1, 2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote