Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2014   #301
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Bower, your plants are looking nice. I took that Alaska and did throw it outside, it is indeed producing more tomatoes, and they're pretty decent too. Northern Lights did the same thing to me last year, it finally set a whole bunch of fruit though.

Last edited by AKmark; June 9, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #302
bower
Tomatovillian™

AKMark, Strange thing about the Alaska.. I was beginning to worry that Sasha's Altai would do the same, but it's setting. Some plants seem to need that extra day/night temperature difference to push them into production I guess! Life is just too good in the greenhouse.

Congrats on the great spring weather, btw. It's awesome your plants are doing so well, and even outdoors in June.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2014   #303
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Same altitudes here as Alaska, and all is going well on my balcony - the first tomatoes are ripening and ready to be picked this week (Mohamed & a mystery bush). Even some varieties that are called as late are blooming and already setting fruit (Lucky Cross)
My tip: get an apartment or house that is facing south and has a very sheltered balcony/patio. Without a greenhouse, that's the next best trick to beat, or rather, help the climate to co-operate better.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #304
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

High tunnel Big Beef getting close:
http://i.imgur.com/8sifJqg.jpg

If I only cared about money, I would be picking those green fruit right now and ethylene gassing them to turn them red.. Market customers would buy them all, because they are early tomatoes and probably would think they tasted good...but I just can't do it. That would be a crime against tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #305
bower
Tomatovillian™

Cole Robbie, you really are way ahead of me. Great looking tomatoes!

We're just now getting leaves on the trees, a really late spring after a brutal winter. We are getting two nice days for every 5-7 days of rain drizzle and fog, and forecast to continue.! Sometimes it can do this all 'summer' long. Risk of frost with the full moon tonight as well.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #306
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. It is odd weather here as well. The last freeze was very late. I think its rained just about every day in June so far. We haven't had one full day of sun. For the last two years prior to this one, it did not rain at all in the month of June. It's one extreme or the other.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #307
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Scary isn't it?

We had cloudy days, purrfect for hardening off, but they went on and on with no clear days for ages. Finally, we did get some lovely sunny days which we appreciated. Now we are getting deluged with rain but, hopefully, it will be sunny for the weekend and dry everything out. I plan to make some Horsetail tea as a preventative for Early Blight.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #308
salix
Tomatovillian™

Just going out to plant my beans tonight. Five of the first 10 days of June had freezing or within 1 degree of freezing overnight. Grrr. I am so tired of wrestling with giant sheets of Reemay...
Old June 12, 2014   #309
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

We're having a lot of rain here too. Still not finished planting! Just hope the sun comes back but with more reasonable temps! Crazy weather!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote