Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 20, 2017   #1
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Default Blossom drop

I am having a terrible problem with blossom dropping They are in SIP's. They aren't pollinating and turning brown and fall off.

What factors could cause this. I have been feeding them TTF, sprayed with Neem oil and pyrethrin. I never had a problem before so I don't think its environmental factors, but could be wrong

Any advice?
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
I am having a terrible problem with blossom dropping They are in SIP's. They aren't pollinating and turning brown and fall off.

What factors could cause this. I have been feeding them TTF, sprayed with Neem oil and pyrethrin. I never had a problem before so I don't think its environmental factors, but could be wrong

Any advice?
I think its just still too hot for the fruit to "take" it will be fine when the overnight temps get down to 72 and below. Blossoms only stay viable for a few days. That's why I don't even start my seeds until mid September, it never gets cool before late October there is just no point for me.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

In the NEast we often get a lull in the heat of August, then some
of our best and tastiest harvest is in September. This year it was
early October and still have a few nice ones.

Maybe go easy on the Fert.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2017   #4
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think its just still too hot for the fruit to "take" it will be fine when the overnight temps get down to 72 and below. Blossoms only stay viable for a few days. That's why I don't even start my seeds until mid September, it never gets cool before late October there is just no point for me.
I was thinking that the temps might be an issue, but I'vepretty lucky in previous Octobers so I began to worry
Old October 20, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are two main reasons for blossom drop.Marsha named one and it usually means over about 90 F and that since high prolonged heat destroys the pollen simply by denaturation.

The other major cause is high humidity for several days since that causes the pollen to clump and be much less effective.

So if where you are it's been both high heat and high humidity,please accept my condolences.

However, I'm told by an unidentified "source",that there are usually breaks in that high heat/high humidity weather in which case during the breaks if you are growing mostly indet varieties,you could well see new blossom,fruit set,fruit maturation,etc. Most, but not all det varieties usually set blossoms once and that's it for them.

Carolyn, adding that there have been some tomato breeders in the south who have tried to breed tomatoes that have a higher tolerance for high heat and even more so for high humidity.

Some will say show me the proof since they are allergic to Google, so here you go

https://www.google.com/search?q=toma...&bih=815&dpr=1
Old October 21, 2017   #6
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
There are two main reasons for blossom drop.Marsha named one and it usually means over about 90 F and that since high prolonged heat destroys the pollen simply by denaturation.

The other major cause is high humidity for several days since that causes the pollen to clump and be much less effective.

So if where you are it's been both high heat and high humidity,please accept my condolences.

However, I'm told by an unidentified "source",that there are usually breaks in that high heat/high humidity weather in which case during the breaks if you are growing mostly indet varieties,you could well see new blossom,fruit set,fruit maturation,etc. Most, but not all det varieties usually set blossoms once and that's it for them.

Carolyn, adding that there have been some tomato breeders in the south who have tried to breed tomatoes that have a higher tolerance for high heat and even more so for high humidity.

Some will say show me the proof since they are allergic to Google, so here you go

https://www.google.com/search?q=toma...&bih=815&dpr=1
Thank you Carolyn. Your informant is quite right. It is hot and humid here in South Florida.

I think I made an error in constructing my SIP's. I am using microfiber towels as wicks. It seems one or two per container is insufficient to properly water the plants. Live and learn. I will have to be diligent and hand water. I guess it could be worse
Old October 21, 2017   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What you want is a dry cool front from the north west.
Timing Det tomato varieties can suck sometimes.
But when you hit it right glory be at the tomatoes all at once.
At my point in life right now I am just about ready if not ready to plant all det varieties.
I dont have the space to plant a ton of plants so I will mass plant det to get the amount I need all at once.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote