Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2017   #646
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Strange, I thought they use something else than nitrate. Every formula out there has the calcium nitrate separate, because they say it reacts irreversibly with phosphates or sulphates at high concentrations.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #647
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloz View Post
After reading this I decided to get a Hozon too. Used it the other day and it worked great. No fancy hookup. I just put an inline shutoff at the end of my hose, attached the Hozon directly to the shutoff and the attached my watering wand directly to the Hozon. I mixed up a 16 to 1 solution of Texas Tomato food in a gallon jug and inserted the siphon hose from the Hozon in the jug. I carried the jug in one hand and used the watering wand normally. The inline shutoff is only needed if I need to stop before I'm done. The siphoning works beautifully. Right down to the last drop if you tilt the bottle a little so the last bit of liquid is over the pickup. The Hozon has a back flow preventer built right into it.

Cloz
So glad you found out how easy that is. I sure enjoy not carrying gallon by gallon by gallon of mix to feed with.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #648
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Update on cucumbers and the bitter taste from lack of water a few weeks back. I have not been able to save them like I was able to save the cantaloupes. I pulled them tonight after I pulled the cantaloupes, since those were finished producing. I noticed some powdery mildew starting on the cantaloupe leaves and some very black tiny specks all over a couple of the cucumber leaves.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2017   #649
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I looked on the sight again and found two or three places in Austin that sell the stuff.
The last time I went some place that supposedly sold it they looked at me like I was nuts.
It was a feed store here in town that had to reduce inventory.
I wont be going to any of the places in Austin to get it as they are too far out of my way.
Not gonna happen during rush hour.
One is a Hydro store the other is a place I was working next to but not now.
Both as high as a cats back.
I cant blame them Austins rent is over the top.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #650
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, good info.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #651
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

I was reading this thread and couldn't resist any longer, so a couple days ago I placed an order for 1/2 gallon each of the Vegetable and the Texas Tomato Food. Can't wait to try it!

However, today, I looked at a map of Texas and noticed that Freeport, TX (where I think these folks are located) appears to be right in the middle of Hurricane Harvey. On a little barrier island between Corpus Christi and Galveston.

I am hoping that everyone there is safe!
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #652
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post
I was reading this thread and couldn't resist any longer, so a couple days ago I placed an order for 1/2 gallon each of the Vegetable and the Texas Tomato Food. Can't wait to try it!

However, today, I looked at a map of Texas and noticed that Freeport, TX (where I think these folks are located) appears to be right in the middle of Hurricane Harvey. On a little barrier island between Corpus Christi and Galveston.

Hope they are okay down there the place is in Freeport south of Houston.
Right on the coast.
Worth
Old August 30, 2017   #653
LK2016
Tomatovillian™

I received an email reply from them this morning! They said they evacuated, and sustained some damage, but they expected to be mailing orders out in the next couple days, if UPS/USPS were operating, so I was very happy that they made it through okay. There has been so much devastation.
LK2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2017   #654
MissS
Tomatovillian™

This is good news. Thank you for letting us know.

Wishing them all of the best...
Old September 4, 2017   #655
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Wishing them safe recovery! Their product as usual was great help this year.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2017   #656
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK2016 View Post

They aren't in Freeport proper they are on the Bluewater highway just north east of of it outside Oyster Creek.
The Bluewater highway is how we drove to Galveston when we went.

I have been in the exact same location during two tropical storms.
One of which was about 1MPH from being a hurricane.
That one my wife chased down the FedeX truck to get checks for everybody during the head end of the storm because they were too chicken to drive to the office.
I ended up driving home in a foot of water in places from the storm surge.
That is not the place to be during a storm.
That highway is the first to close.

Last edited by Worth1; September 5, 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old February 24, 2018   #657
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered a gallon. Anxious to give it a try.
Old February 24, 2018   #658
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

I tried it simply because there was no way it could be that good.
I’m happy to report I was totally wrong. This stuff is close to magic.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #659
elight
Tomatovillian™

I have been using TTF for the past few years, but for this season, bought an E-ZFlow fertilizer injector. My drip system runs for 3 minutes every morning and evening (probably a bit longer as it continues to heat up). Earlier in the season, I used Foliage Pro.

It seems that the TTF is settling to the bottom of the reservoir and not being depleted. With the Foliage Pro, it would be depleted within a week. Sometimes I'm shake it up to dissolve the TTF, but the next day it's settled again.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is TTF just doomed to not work properly with this sort of system?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #660
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
I have been using TTF for the past few years, but for this season, bought an E-ZFlow fertilizer injector. My drip system runs for 3 minutes every morning and evening (probably a bit longer as it continues to heat up). Earlier in the season, I used Foliage Pro.

It seems that the TTF is settling to the bottom of the reservoir and not being depleted. With the Foliage Pro, it would be depleted within a week. Sometimes I'm shake it up to dissolve the TTF, but the next day it's settled again.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Is TTF just doomed to not work properly with this sort of system?
Why don't you call Urban Farms and talk to them their contact number is on the web site. I think they originally invented this product as a hydroponic food so maybe they can give you some information that would help you. I do know that TTF will settle out if left standing for too long. I use a hose end sprayer called a Chameleon. It works great for me though I do shake it up every few minutes to keep it well mixed as I am using it. I use it full strength and set to deliver 1 TBS to the gallon but make sure it is thoroughly mixed before pouring it into the hose end sprayer and I do filter it through a fine stainless steel mesh strainer into the hose end sprayer.

If you can work out your problem with it I think you will love the results you get with it feeding tomatoes. My production went way up when I started feeding my tomatoes TTF every week to ten days.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote