Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 5, 2012   #211
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I really should not read this thread anymore. It has me making new lists for 2013 already oh my goodness. lol I have dug up as many flower beds and lawn as I can at this point, and need more pots. My screened porch is so full of seedlings my neighbors drop by just to chuckle at it all. Well, chuckle and then ask if I have any "extras", which I wouldn't mind giving them, but a few of them are known tomato killers! ha!
Those reusable shopping bags work real well!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #212
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Lakelady, two years ago, I had about six plants left over. I had already given all of the others to anyone who would take them and was tired of being the crazy lady who walks around trying to pawn off plants on people! (which I had done the year before.)

So I gave them to my neighbor, whom I know doesn't even really like tomatoes. She said she would get her son to put them out, but they just sat by her back fence until they finally expired, still in their cups.

She still talks about being the terrible tomato killer, but as I told her, she did me a favor. She saved me from having to dig out a new bed or buy new containers. (Which I just couldn't do last year) I just CAN NOT let them die myself, because I've put months of my life into getting them to grow.

But once I gave them to her, they were hers and I could let go. For some reason, it was tolerable that she let them die, as long as it wasn't me.

No, it doesn't make sense, but there it is.
Sounds like my husband. He will not let me put a plant to sleep!
Btw, Craig's list worked for me this year. I sold about 60 extra plants.
I'm thinking about getting licensed with the local Farmer's Markets. It's quite cheap and I can go when I want to sell extra seedlings.
Old May 5, 2012   #213
Miss Sphinx
Tomatovillian™

I finally got some rain on my 'maters tonight!
Here's my list:

Ananas Noire
Black Cherry
Box Car Willie
Costoluto Fiorentino
Crimean Rose
Earl's Faux
Grub's Mystery Green
Mexico Midget
Monomakh's Hat
Orange Russian 117
Polish Linguisa
Purple Russian
Sara's Galapagos
Sun Sugar (hybrid)
Old May 27, 2012   #214
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I got growing in my small garden (in addition to five pepper plants):

Black Cherry
Brandywine Pink
Cherokee Purple
Cow's Tit
Roma
San Marzano
Vinson Watts

The only one I've grown before was Roma, although I did have a standard Brandywine last year. I want this to be the last year I do Roma, depending on if my other paste tomatoes do well. Last year's Romas were susceptible to blossom end rot, which was partially kept at bay using a b-e-r spray. I also would like to get away from determinates and hybrids for pastes. And the flavor of Romas are just OK to me; but they're a good backup in case the others don't do well.

The Cow's Tit is a funny plant. The leaves are fluffy and the stems are growing in all sorts of wild directions. Is this normal for this plant?
Steve Magruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #215
NGGrant
Tomatovillian™

Sweet 100 F1 x6
Black krim
Cherokee purple
German johnson
Stupice
Blondkopchen
Lemon boy
Bonnie select hybrid beefsteak
Solar flare
Mr Stripey
Better boy x5
Sungold F1
Yellow pear x2
Husky red cherry
Bonnie grape tami G hybrid x2
Mortgage lifter
Chocolate cherry
Beefmaster x6
Celebrity x6
Pink girl x4
Viva Italia x6

50!
Old May 28, 2012   #216
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Here's my grow list. I started planting out on May 13th, and can say I am finished today (5/28) although there are a few I started late that I hope to be able to plant out somewhere if I can find room (and those are Terhune, Elbe, and Marovski Div. I received extra Terhune seed from someone who saw my comment on the germination thread that I had no germination from Carolyn's seeds).

This is the most that I have ever attempted to grow in my limited space. Around 2/3 of them are in self-watering containers that will be on my deck because I only have a small plot that gets a good amount of sun, and the deck gets more sun anyway (lol), although when the plants get large there is just about room for the outdoor table... You'll notice I don't have many red tomatoes in all this.

This is the first year that I have gotten quite a bit of seeds from individuals and I see that can be hit or miss. E.G., for one of the individuals who shared several varieties, I only had decent germination on one variety. Yet I did fine with others. Otherwise I buy seed primarily from TGS. Last year, I had a new packet of Eva Purple Ball tomatoes from which I had an extraordinary result, so I saved some seeds from it which I am trying this year.

Cherries:
Sungold
Black Cherry
Ambrosia (supposed to be a red Sungold, experimental, from Carolyn's seed offer)
Vince P1 (supposed to be a purplish Sungold type, experimental, from Carolyn's seed offer)
Green Zebra Cherry
Honeydrop Cherry (seeds I saved from a small carton of this peach-colored cherry tomato purchased from Four Winds Farm in Gardiner, New York, an organic grower; the farmer told me they were O.P.)

The rest:
Tye Dye Hybrid (from TGS - I don't know if this is similar to the Berkeley Tie Dye others are growing)
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Green
Brandywine from Croatia (seed from Ray Newsted)
Black
Missouri Pink Love Apple (seed from "Dutch" in Wisconsin)
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red (seed from Kevin in Omaha)
Lemon Boy
Russian Queen (Carolyn's seed offer)
Eva Purple Ball
Orange Minsk (from Carolyn's seed offer)
Jubilee (seeds from Dutch in Wisconsin)
Dr. Wyche's Yellow (seeds from Dutch in Wisconsin)
Marizol Purple
Raspberry (this was a variety I originally received from Carolyn either in the 2004 or 2005 seed offer. I saved seeds in 2005, and then didn't have much luck with them. I saw I still had the '05 seeds and planted a few for fun, and got two nice plants which are in a 1/4 whiskey barrel)

From the Dwarf Project:
Boronia F6 (this is supposed to be a black)
Boronia F7 (also a black, though I found the F6's to be more vigorous growers so far)
Tipsy F4 white RF (I only garnered 2 plants, one which was PL, so this should be fun to grow out)

Total: 55 plants.

I need to revise my totals.... I have since planted two Moravski Div transplants, and technically 2 more dwarfs (2 in one cell) that Craig sent me, Sunny F4 ivory). So I'm up to 59 plants, 26 varieties, whew!

On another front I'm also growing 2 types of cukes (burpless and slicing); 7 varieties of hot peppers; 1 variety so far of bell peppers (called Chardonnay) and a lot of basil. I also have Purple Sage and Chives which are perennials.

Last edited by rsg2001; June 1, 2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: more tomatoes planted
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #217
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGGrant View Post
Sweet 100 F1 x6
Black krim
Cherokee purple
German johnson
Stupice
Blondkopchen
Lemon boy
Bonnie select hybrid beefsteak
Solar flare
Mr Stripey
Better boy x5
Sungold F1
Yellow pear x2
Husky red cherry
Bonnie grape tami G hybrid x2
Mortgage lifter
Chocolate cherry
Beefmaster x6
Celebrity x6
Pink girl x4
Viva Italia x6

50!
I'm just wondering if you see more production with your beef master, better boy and celebrity? How is the taste?
I've been considering a hybrid or two for insurance and production but not really sure which one.
I've heard better boy is good with heat, as is jet setter and celebrity.
Old May 29, 2012   #218
rocan
Tomatovillian™

This is what I have planted this year, but after reading other people's comments and tasting notes I already have a few changes I wish I could make. Oh well, next year is coming.

Tomato List 2012
Amish Paste
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Beams Yellow Pear
Big Beef
Big Zac
Bloody Butcher
Box Car Willie
Brandywine Sudduth's
Bull's Heart (Gylys)
Burpee Delicious
Cabernet
Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple
Chocolate Cherry
Costoluto Genovese
Defiant
Djena Lee's Golden Girl
Fantastic
Garden Peach
Giant Oxheart
Golden Sunray
Green Zebra
Hogs Heart
Indigo Rose
Italian Heirloom
Japanese Black Trifele
Jaune Flamme
Kelloggs Breakfast
Lahman Pink
Long Keeper
Medford
Neves Azorean Red
Opalka
Oregon Spring
Principe Borghese
Red Alert
Red Brandywine
Red Fig
San Marzano
Stupice
Sun Cherry
Sun Gold
Sun Sugar
Sweet Million
Taxi
Viva Italia
Wins All
rocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #219
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default i recommend better boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I'm just wondering if you see more production with your beef master, better boy and celebrity? How is the taste?
I've been considering a hybrid or two for insurance and production but not really sure which one.
I love better boy. I'm not growing it this year but it has always produced bushels of fruit for me from one plant.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012   #220
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
Here's what I'm planing

In EarthTainers:
Wes x2
Cherokee Purple x2
Winsall
Sungold f1

In other containers:
Yukon Quest
Iditarod Red

In the Ground:
Wes
Winsall x2
Sungold f1

And I may end up finding more room in the ground for a few more of the above varieties.
Well, now that I've planted my list is slightly different. This is partially due to my inability to start seedlings well and partially due to availability at my local nursery.

In EarthTainers:
Wes x2
Winsall
Super Sweet 100
Red Beacon f1
Better Boy

In other containers:
Yukon Quest
Iditarod Red x2

In the Ground:
Wes
Better Boy
Super Sweet 100
Red Beacon f1
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #221
blujen
Tomatovillian™

Well I see that i'm a bit late to the party but here's my list - These have been in ground since at least April 15 and are about 2.5 feet tall so far:
My Favorites
3 - KBX
3 - Stump of the World
Marianna’s Peace

Return Performances
2 - Amish Paste
2 - Fuzzy Peach (I'm imagining this is really garden peach and got misnamed somewhere along the line)
Early Ssubakus Aliana
Neve’s Azorean Red
Vorlon

New This Year
2 - Brandywine Sudduth
2 - Black Cherry
2 - Isis Candy
Black Krim
Black from Tula
Amazon Chocolate
Piriform
Orange Strawberry
Riesenstraube
Kellogg’s Breakfast
Opalka
blujen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #222
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujen View Post
Well I see that i'm a bit late to the party but here's my list - These have been in ground since at least April 15 and are about 2.5 feet tall so far:
My Favorites
3 - KBX
3 - Stump of the World
Marianna’s Peace

Return Performances
2 - Amish Paste
2 - Fuzzy Peach (I'm imagining this is really garden peach and got misnamed somewhere along the line)
Early Ssubakus Aliana
Neve’s Azorean Red
Vorlon

New This Year
2 - Brandywine Sudduth
2 - Black Cherry
2 - Isis Candy
Black Krim
Black from Tula
Amazon Chocolate
Piriform
Orange Strawberry
Riesenstraube
Kellogg’s Breakfast
Opalka

Jen, since Fuzzy Peach (Garden Peach) is a repeat for you, how did you like it? I have seeds for Garden Peach and didn't have room this year, but thought about sowing them next year.
Old June 4, 2012   #223
blujen
Tomatovillian™

It's in the middle for me, I love the texture and the plant itself is always really healthy and produces a ton, but the flavor isn't quite as rich as the bigger tomatos that I grow. It is the favorite tomato of three of the people I feed though, so I am growing two plants this year, and gave a couple away for other people to try too!

I would say it's certainly much better than Fourth of July, in my garden and in the same size range, and I like it better than Bloody butcher as well. It has a permanent slot in the garden, with at least one if not two bushes every year
blujen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #224
NGGrant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Better boy is for sure the most productive, last year the better boys gave me buckets of fruit and grew over 8ft tall. If I had a 10ft cage I'm sure they could top it.