Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 4, 2012   #16
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I opted for mini float valves instead with 3/8 in poly tubing.
As to filtering, I hope to have a whole house filter in place before the 'tainers get put into service so I shouldn't need a separate one...
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

You may find that your outside hose bibs are split from your feed line for the house, outside at the meter itself. This was my case. A whole house filtration system installed in the home will not provide filtered water to your outdoor watering hose bibs. Something for you to check out.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2012   #18
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Good tip! That's the mind of the engineer working....
Old January 4, 2012   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

Let me clarify myself. On my water supply system, our automated lawn watering system is split off at the meter. My hose bibs are indeed part of the house feed line.

If you are drawing water for the EarthTainers from your outdoor sprinkler system, then my observation stands as above. If however, you are going to run a "Y" connector off your hose bib, it *may* be down-line of your home filtering system.

Raybo
Old January 4, 2012   #20
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. That one didn't need clarification. Moving to a new house this spring, water meter in basement. It does have an (ancient looking) sprinkler system. I am not at all sure how it is connected. Nor am I sure if there is more than one hose bib! (or even one, now that i think about it)
Old January 4, 2012   #21
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

With all the ways that chloramine/chlorine can be removed. make tea, put a slice of fruit in the water etc. it's doubtful that it has any effect below the surface, especially with slow watering. If the effect is very shallow, it may not exceed the depth that the UV from the sun would sterilize anyway.
I'd like to figure out an economical way to deal with water hardness, as that's not dealt with by any filters, and at my sister's house, a new brass Y adapter on the hose bib for under a season had visible scale, enough to make it so I had to work the valves with pliers to get them working. If it's building up like that everywhere, the pipes may be closed off in a few years, aside from the buildup in houseplant pots, and whatever detriment there is to seedlings. I've not seen any reports that showed extremely high levels, but with a mix of state water project water and well water in what's piped, it could probably vary from day to day. Come to think of it, build up in pipes could explain what seems to me like low flow at most locations in and out of the house, while a tap that comes off the sprinkler pipes outside seems to have higher flow. Of course my reference is 80+psi and high flow at my home, tend to have to replace drip pressure regulators yearly there.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2012   #22
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Water Hardness - Absent going with a whole house water softener, which can get pricey, you could try a "scale inhibitor".
This one is $62 http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store...nhibitors.html

They also have one combined with a sediment filter for whole house use for $110.
http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store...58/ap141t.html

I haven't used one though.

James
Old January 22, 2012   #23
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

My house has the sprinkler system AND the outside water lines separated. The house is presetup for a water softener and the split occurs right before that hookup. The home builder told me the reason they do the split is because most water softening systems use salt and you don't want to be adding salt to your lawn. Personally, I don't know if I want to drinking salt water either, but that's just what the guy told me. "Softened" water can be bad for the lawn.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I think the REAL reason for the split off is to not waste softened water needlessly on your lawn. Softened water costs money for the treatment chemicals, so why squander it on outside watering use.

Raybo
Old January 23, 2012   #25
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

With such a long growing season I would think you'd see results in less internal hose contamination, and actually healthier plants. I actually think your $50. and time were well spent. At least if you're thirsty while working outside you can get a drink of pure H2O.
Old January 23, 2012   #26
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

To be sure, I am definitely going to leave the filtration system hooked up for next Season. As you noted, from the photo of the garden this past year - it certainly didn't hurt to use it. I am just not certain that I could recommend other folks spend $50.00 out of their pockets to replicate what I did.

Raybo

edit: Perhaps instead of the "Busted" conclusion, I should have used the word: "Plausible".
Old January 23, 2012   #27
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Water softeners do add salt, "less than 12.5 milligrams per 8-ounce (237-milliliter) glass" is the quote I found. The concern with lawns and gardens is that it would build up over years, and eventually be a problem, in addition to the expense of softening many extra gallons of water.

I bought a $30 watts filter, the 20,000 gallon up to 5 year one, to use for a refrigerator icemaker that has no filter. I tapped off the line coming out of the filter with a valve so I can get filtered water for seedlings and for an aquarium. I figure with seeds and seedlings the chloramine can get directly to the seed or plant, and less calcium buildup is a bonus. I also add a fraction of a vitamin C tablet to the water, in case any chloramine gets past the filter. I just had some kale and cauliflower seeds sprout in 2 days.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #28
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

What are your thoughts on this one? It needs to be really simple for me.
http://youtu.be/YcDxjQszXPw

I think he purchased his at FreshWaterSystems.com
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2012   #29
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Roper,

This likely won't do you ANY good, as most water systems today use Chloramine not Chlorine to treat city water.

Do a search on a thread I started a few years ago on Chloramine and you will get a lot of useful info there from all the replies.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Thread I was talking about:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=chloramine

Raybo
Old April 29, 2012   #30
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. Read through the thread. I will forget about any filter for now. So
leaving water in sun for a day will only get rid of chlorine, but not chloramine.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote