Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 19, 2011   #1
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem making CRW cages

I bought a 150' roll of concrete reinforcing wire to make some additional cages for my garden this year.

I've made cages before, and my method is to cut one end of the piece flush, and use the 6" horizontal pieces on the other end to make hooks to close it into a cylinder. Using the whole 6" allows me to make a big secure bend by hand. (I've seen people use a nut driver to make a smaller hook instead, which to me seems more difficult.)

Now to my problem. With the new CRW, when I try to make the bend, the 6" piece is breaking off about half the time. I realize that I don't need a loop at every possible point, but they like to break in really inconvenient places, like the three places on an end.

The first time I did this, I never had a problem with the pieces breaking off, so maybe I'm just dealing with inferior material (and CRW isn't really designed for these bends, right?).

Are there any suggestions for how to avoid this problem? I don't think the nut-driver method will help here, as it requires at least as tight a bend as what I do by hand.

Anyone with suggestions is eligible for some FREE* (slightly irregular) tomato cages!

*Does not include shipping and $499 handling fee.
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #2
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I think you don't want to bend it at the point where it intersects with the vertical piece (ie. the point at which it is welded). I use a heavy duty pliers and put the point of the six inch piece of CRW into the pliers until it stops. Then, bend the piece so the end of the pliers forms the bend. You get a uniform bend every time. Once you have formed the bend, you can remove the pliers, then use the two ends of the pliers to pull the two sides together by squeezing the pliers. Hopefully, you get what I am trying to say.

These are the pliers I use:

http://www.homedepot.com/Husky/h_d1/...atalogId=10053
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

You may want to consider joining the ends of the CRW cages together with 1/8" Wire Rope Clips.

This would eliminate the bending you have been doing (no cutting yourself) as well as being removable at the end of the Season, in case you want to lay the CRW flat for Winter storage.

I use these for all kinds of applications around the house. $0.11 each when you buy a box of one hundred at this link; $5.00 flat rate shipping:

http://www.pambinaimpex.com/servlet/Detail?no=49

They are about $0.45 each at Lowes, for reference in case you just need a few to use. Again, a less bloody way to make CRW cages.

Raybo

p.s. You may want to go up a size for the thickness of the CRW to a 3/16" wire rope clip:

http://www.pambinaimpex.com/servlet/Detail?no=52

$0.14 each.

Last edited by rnewste; February 19, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #4
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray! I appreciate the links.

Yeah, I agree, the spot where the weld occurs is affected by the heat of the spot weld and becomes harder and more brittle, so more subject to metal fatigue. You'd have to heat and quench it in certain ways to rearrange the steel atoms to soften those spots again. I think I'd go with either suggestion above.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #5
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ya I dont remember my 150' roll breaking off points like that and thats how I made mine. As the cages get older and I modify a few I've had this happen a couple times but not much. Thats kind of weird that those points are breaking so often and easy. I like recruiterg advice though, maybe that will help. I also really like Raybo's idea too. I gotta get me some wire rope clips soon as I'm not done modifying my cages.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

I just ordered another 100 of the 1/8" wire rope clips today for the EarthTainer III cages. I'm sure I will have extras, so let me know how many you will need.

Also, If you join the cage at the vertical "seam", I think you could get away with one clip 6" up from the bottom, one clip in the center, and one clip 6" down from the top.

Raybo

p.s. Further thinking this method of attachment through, you could make half-height (or full) cage extensions, and if you've been careful in matching finished diameters, you could use perhaps 4 of these Wire Rope Clips to attach the bottom extension rim to the top rim of the base cage, each placed 90 degrees apart.

Last edited by rnewste; February 19, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old February 19, 2011   #7
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

The nice thing about making bends for closing the cages is that you can undo the cages at the end of the year and stack them on top of each other so they take up less space in the backyard.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Use a propane torch and warm that metal up a bit before you bend it. When you get done with the bending, a few sprits of Rustoleum spray paint will help slow down any "extra" rusting.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #9
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone -- these are great suggestions. I guess it stands to reason that the metal would be the most brittle at the weld-points, but like Damon, past experience suggested that I could get away with making those bends.

I'm going to go ahead and try Raybo's suggestion. This will allow me to add clip to the 'slightly irregular' cages I've already made, and I can use the clips to make extensions, an idea I've been toying with (after last year's Opalka grew out of the 5' cage, all the way back down to the ground, and then crawled along the ground for an extra couple of feet).

Thanks again!
Old February 19, 2011   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pyrrho,

Before you order a bunch of them from the link I posted, I would go to Lowes and buy one each of the 1/8" and 3/16" sizes, to the test in joining the seam together. Once you see which size works better, you can then order the proper size over the Internet.

My Daddy always taught me: "Measure Twice - Cut Once".

Raybo
Old February 19, 2011   #11
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Pyrrho,

Before you order a bunch of them from the link I posted, I would go to Lowes and buy one each of the 1/8" and 3/16" sizes, to the test in joining the seam together. Once you see which size works better, you can then order the proper size over the Internet.

My Daddy always taught me: "Measure Twice - Cut Once".

Raybo
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Old February 20, 2011   #12
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking at the CRW this year and it appears to have small indentations on the wire that is caused by the gripping mechanism used in the manufacturing process or welding process. My guess these are now stress points and that is where it is breaking. Why they have to screw up a good thing is beyond me. I wish someone would manufacture some that is galvanized and made specifically for making cages.
Old February 20, 2011   #13
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Zip ties will work to join them too and be a lot cheaper than the ware rope clips
Old February 20, 2011   #14
duckfan
Tomatovillian™

Zip ties are like duct tape for the garden. I use them all over the place.
duckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yeah sometimes they break. when this happens i am gentle and slowly close them, i twist mine 2 times so i really stress it. i tried zip ties and they break down in the sun - they are good for a year don't use them unless you want to redo it every year. try using a synthetic cord. i've used venetian blind cord on my trellis, use something that is not cotton. tie the ends of the cage. if synthetic cord is used it should last a long time.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote