Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 17, 2013   #1
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber need help

I'm having a hell of a time growing cucumbers. Not sure if it the weather or if im doing something wrong.

My cucumbers leaves are small and barely grows. I'm used several different soil mixes with the same result.

I gave 4 cucumbers to my cousin who said it grew like crazy in the area where he put it which gets a decent amount of heat.

Can anyone give me some tips?
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

My Method

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LTJKD 15 May 2012 Cucumber. Planted outdoors, and New seeds started
Greenhouse cucumbers were planted outdoors and new seeds started for a later crop. Pictures depict the procedure.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?OXEOB 19 April 2012 Cucumber Trellis
A trellis was prepared for four hills of cucumbers to be planted about the 20 of May and the soil prepared. Two 4 by 8 concrete reinforcing six inch mesh are supported by fence posts and bound with plastic ties. The bed was mulched to retain any rain moisture. The four pots of cucumbers are in the greenhouse.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?UHIWU 13 April 2012 Cross Country Cucumber.
Experience has indicated that starting cucumbers indoors and planting outdoors about the end of May produces fruit about a month earlier than direct seeding. Four pots (four hills in the garden) of 12 seeds produces about a bushel of cucumbers. Cross Country Hybrid is prolific, nice shape, a good slicing, and pickling cucumber. I use them mostly to make vegetable juice. Four pots of three seeds each were planted. The pot was placed in a plastic bag to keep the humidity high, and will be removed upon germination. A coffee filter in the bottom of the pot stops soil from leaking out of the drain holes and tends to keep the roots contained when planting in the outdoor garden.

Previous year’s experiences.
Downey mildew is ubiquitous. By starting early as depicted, I usually complete harvest before the mildew completes it nefarious attacks. Also never water from the top to discourage the mildew. I also mulch the area heavily with wood chips to keep a high moisture level. Usually I have a touch of mildew. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZVWYI 24 July 2010 Cucumber damage Powdery mildew fungus. This was a bad year.

I leave two or three plants per hill and trellis on 4 by 8 concrete reinforcing wire,and train to climb. I will post this when installed. One sheet is sufficient for four hills. With constant effort the plants will climb right to the top of the trellis. An added feature of the trellis is there is no yellow area on the fruit from lying on the ground. The fruit is a uniform green.

I also found out something else. I have posted many topics on juicing and pressure canning. I had so many cucumbers that I tried the procedure using them. Upon drinking the juice, I found I felt extremely good almost a feeling of super well being, and I attributed it to the cucumber juice until proven otherwise.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DXAYD 6 August 2011 Making Vegetable Juice. This is the idea. It appears I did not photograph the cucumbers alone.

When planting in the outdoor garden, I carefully remove from the pot, cutting the sides if necessary and carefully place in the ground. The roots must not be disturbed.

I have been doing this for several years. Some years I start some for July planting by preparing four more pots about the 15 of May.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XOYOL 26 July 2007 Cucumbers The cukes are a little larger than desirable, but I didn’t pick due to being away for a few days.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #3
jillybeantx
Tomatovillian™

I had problems with them last year before I installed the drip irrigation. I didn't realize how much water they needed, and unfortunately I figured it out at the end of the season. This year I put them in an area that seems to get more water, so hopefully I'll finally get a decent crop!
jillybeantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

You said you've tried different soil mixes -- are you growing them in the ground or in a container? And what mixes have you tried?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #5
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Like most, if not all, related cucurbits, they like a very rich, well-drained soil to grow in. I have best luck when I mulch heavily, both to retain moisture and to keep weeds at bay.
I start them early (2-3 weeks before plant-out) in soil blocks. They can grow surprisingly large in just a little 2X2 block, and transplanting out is a simple procedure of digging a small hole with my fingers and pressing the block into the ground. Absolutely no root disturbance whatsoever. Given warm weather and plenty of moisture, they take off wonderfully. Lately I have also been trellising my cukes - it makes finding them and picking them so much easier on my ageing and increasingly arthritic old body. The same fencing I use for peas works fine for cukes, although in the large greenhouse I drop twine from the purlins and train them to those, much like I do for the tomatoes in there, twisting the stems around the twine as they grow. I just use cheap baling twine; it's orange and ugly, but cheap and effective (and easy to see!).
Old April 17, 2013   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

just fyi, I experienced some herbicide-contaminated compost this year. If any of your mixes contain manure, straw, or compost containing either one, then herbicide is a possibility.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #7
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
You said you've tried different soil mixes -- are you growing them in the ground or in a container? And what mixes have you tried?
Well, I start them in containers using a compost/vermiculite/coco coir mix. Once they get to a decent size I plant them into the ground that been amended with compost, worm castings, and Azomite.

I kinda disturb the roots a lot if that's a problem.

I planted a zuuchini in the general area of the cucumbers and they grew massive.
Old April 19, 2013   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Have to agree with others above.

Where I use about 10-15% compost with tomatoes and peppers, I do more like 30-40% compost with melons and cucurbits.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #9
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

My cucumbers leaves are a pale light green. Anyone know why?
Old April 22, 2013   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
My cucumbers leaves are a pale light green. Anyone know why?
Could be variety or lack of fertilizer.

I have Market More 76 and national pickling in the same soil one is dark green and the other is lighter green.

76 has started to darken up.

How big are your plants?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #11
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

They range from 8 inches to 1 feet. I'm so terribly confused. I think it might be environmental. I gave 4 to my cousin and they all turned dark green and started growing. I have a multitude of trees growing in the vicinity of my cucumbers. The leaves seem to be drying out too. I water them every morning.
Old April 22, 2013   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, I start them in containers using a compost/vermiculite/coco coir mix. Once they get to a decent size I plant them into the ground that been amended with compost, worm castings, and Azomite.
Are they currently in a container or in the ground?

Quote:
I kinda disturb the roots a lot if that's a problem.
Melons and Cukes don't really appreciate their roots being disturbed.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #13
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Some in container some in the ground.
Old April 23, 2013   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
They range from 8 inches to 1 feet. I'm so terribly confused. I think it might be environmental. I gave 4 to my cousin and they all turned dark green and started growing. I have a multitude of trees growing in the vicinity of my cucumbers. The leaves seem to be drying out too. I water them every morning.
What kind of trees are growing in your surrounding gardening area/yard? How much shade are they getting?
Old April 23, 2013   #15
gardenstartup
Tomatovillian™

You need to give them some extra nitrate
And temerature at nights must be over 50F