Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2014   #1
snagged
Tomatovillian™

Default How much wind can they handle?

I've seen some posts saying wind can have a worse impact on seedlings than cold. I've got seedlings about 2 inches tall now with true leaves (3-4 weeks old). Temps are going to be ok here for the next 24 hours. But, wind is going to get up into the teens in mph.

Should I bring them in or will they be ok with wind of 13-15 mph?
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if the plants will be broken, but I'd bring them in. You stand a good chance of them drying out. Fifteen mph winds also make projectiles out of things like pieces of cardboard that can decapitate a seedling.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure how many plants you have or if it's feasible in your situation but when I first start hardening off seedlings, I create an area where I can drape shadecloth, lightweight row cover, or whatever they need at the moment over the trays and then weight down the edges with rocks, bricks, etc. to protect from too much sun, wind, nosey animals, insects... That would also make the temps a little warmer inside the protected spot.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Too much wind when the plants are that young can cause them to dry out too much and look almost as if they have sun scald. You could probably leave them out in that much wind for an hour or so but not too long. Keep an eye on them if you do. It is better to gradually get them used to the harsher environment outside if possible.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My "guess" is they can handle 13-15 mph.

I put day old seedlings outdoors. Anything 2 1/4" tall breaks 100% of the time in ~15-20 mph wind. Under 2", and near 100% survive. It sounds like you have nice stocky plants.

There's no way you should risk more than you'd like to lose. So, I'd recommend leaving 1 plant out as a test. Also, how do you know wind gusts won't get much higher than 15 mph?

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote