Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 9, 2014   #1
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Default Should I use these saved seeds?

Last year I saved seeds from the second generation of Celebrity, Kentucky Yellow Beefsteak and Better boys. Do you think they will perform well? Or should I just chuck them.

Thanks...
Old February 9, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The Kentucky Yellow Beafsteak should be fine.

The other two will give you tomatoes, but not exactly like the original or like each other either.

Here's details about F2 generations of Better Boy
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=2768

Here's the situation explained in detail.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...222525611.html

Should you save them depends on your goals and desires. If you want tomatoes that look and taste exactly like Better Boys and Celebrities then you'll have to buy new seed or plants. If you are ok with some variance them go ahead and plant them. They will all grow tomatoes.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2014   #3
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I like to grow a mystery plant or two now and then.

Last season while cleaning my computer keyboard I found a few dried tomato seeds stuck underneath it (oops). I saved them and am going to start them next week. I grow a few hybrid and OP every year of various sizes so I have no idea what I'll get from these!

Good luck with your seeds this year.

Irv

Last edited by Irv Wiseguy; February 9, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

If you've got room, go for it and see what happens!
Old February 9, 2014   #5
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I will try some and see what happens. I am not sure how my garden will lay out this year. I am looking at about 300 plants and about 15 different varieties. I squeezed that many in last year. And if I ever catch up to my neighbor, I am going to ask if I could use some of his property For cantaloupe or something.

And I guess If its not too much to ask, what about the varieties I am planting this year. Which ones can I save seeds from. Red Rocket, Paul Robeson, First Prize, Big Beef, Jet star, BHN 640, Charger, BHN 589, Ace, Sioux, Eva Purple Ball, Homestead, Heidi, and Rutgers.
I am not up tomato genealogy Hybrid, Heirloom. I don't know the difference unless the packet says so ..

Last year I dug up and moved some volunteers that came up. I got red tomatoes that were about the size of an egg. The only thing I could come with was that the Big Cherry tomato ( slightly smaller then a ping ping ball) Crossbred with Celebrity or Better Boy. And also a couple of my KY Yellow Beefsteak Grew orange tomatoes. Saved some of those seeds to see what happens next.
Old February 9, 2014   #6
Hermitian
BANNED

If there's bees or other pollinators around, then there will be some cross pollination. And what could be more fun, growing out your own mystery crosses the following year!
Old February 10, 2014   #7
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

First of all go to Tatiana's site, it will tell which is which. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...o_Variety_List

Hybrid saved seed will show variances
Jet Star
Big Beef
First Prize
BHN 589
BHN 640
Charger

Open Pollinated should come true except for cross pollination issues.
Red Rocket
Paul Robinson
Ace
Sioux
Eva Purple Ball
Homestead
Heidi
Rutgers
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2014   #8
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Hermitian.. that is true, I guess that's part of the reason there are 4,764 varieties listed on Tatiana's site

Doug, Thank you very much for the info and list