Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 29, 2013   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Yep. I saturate 3 of the XL pellets in a large coffee cup of hot water then mix it in a bucket with an equal amount of Happy Frog, then fill the slots in the XL trays. This amount fills about 6 slots at a time.

Irrespective of the cost, I find this combo mix yields a good combination of drainage and trace nutrients for the seedlings until I transplant them up to Solo cups to further develop.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is this the same thing? Its at Amazon for 11.80 and free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JS81...d_sim_sbs_lg_1
Stay away from this one. I ordered 2 each last year and received 2 each 72 compartment plastic trays with no pellets included.

Ami
Old December 30, 2013   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Stay away from this one. I ordered 2 each last year and received 2 each 72 compartment plastic trays with no pellets included.

Ami
Good to know! Thanks for the warning. Hope you gave that seller a bad review.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #19
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

well I guess the decision has been made . I found 7 boxes of Hydrofarm Jumpstart 81 count pellets listed on eBay on a "buy it now" with a "make an offer" option . I made an offer that I thought would never be accepted . ......because I really dont need 7 boxes ...... well I was wrong ......... I am now the owner of 7 boxes of Hydrofarm Jumpstart ! .................

Oh well ......... Now I have several years supply !!!!! LOL
buckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #20
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
now the owner of 7 boxes of Hydrofarm Jumpstart !
Good stuff. Nothing better than a late XMAS present.

Ami
Old January 12, 2014   #21
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Your method? -- hydrate/expand the coir pellets then add the Happy Frog (potting soil?) and blend? Then refill the XL cells? Not to be critical, because it evidently works for you, but sounds messy and (assuming the above is correct) -- why not just take some high-quality bulk coir and blend with the Frog? Edit -- I see there was a "page two" that explained...

I'm thinking about something along the same line, only using about 50/50 Metro Mix + coir + some organic fertilizer. Maybe 75/25 Metro Mix + Perlite as a control. (I've had decent luck with that in the past.)

I have really good success with Tomatoes, Eggplant, and Peppers, but I've always had poorer results with Brassicas.

-GG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I am mixing a 50/50% blend of the Burpee XL coir pellets with Happy Frog. Seems to hold moisture pretty well, along with providing trace nutrients found in the Happy Frog which are just right for seed starting.

Raybo

Last edited by Greatgardens; January 12, 2014 at 12:23 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2014   #22
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

GG,

I put 3 of the XL pellets in a large coffee mug, then fill with hot water. Once the pellets have fully expanded, I dump this into a gallon container. Then I scoop the same amount of Happy Frog with the coffee mug and stir into the gallon container mixing it all together. Then spoon the combined mix out into each cell of the XL tray. Simple process.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2014   #23
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Raybo-

I've found a local retailer that carries Happy Frog, so I'm going to give it a try with a couple of small variations on your theme.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote