Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 26, 2013   #1
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

Default seed starting pellets

anyone know a good buy on Burpee XL super seed starting pellets or what is a good substitute ?
buckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #2
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I was using those, they are what turned me onto coir. Now I just get a compressed brick of coco coir because it's is less expensive. For around your area you can try a garden center, nursery, or hydro store. If you want to get it from the comfort of your home Pinetree has coco bricks for a decent price. Just read the brick for how large it will expand. Then from there break off a chunk of the brick about the equivalent you will need when it expands. Has probably saved me at least $80 a year buying my own coir and filling plugs rather than the burpee coir pellets. That and if you have ever experienced an expanding pellet turning sideways inside a cell it's aggravating to say the least. Hope this helps you out and saves you some money.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #3
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

ok thanks ......... how does coir compare to peat pellets such as Jiffy or Hydrofarm Jumpstart ?
Old December 26, 2013   #4
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I like it a lot more than peat. It seems to only take up the water it needs without getting waterlogged. I've also noticed my roots have an easier time thriving and spreading in the coir and the media stays together better when transplanting. I've been quite happy with it but that might just be my experience. Hope that helps.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2013   #5
Hermitian
BANNED

I germinate seeds in 6x12 plug trays (e.g., model PL-72). First, I pour SunGro #2 onto the tray and scrape it level with a board. Then I water the tray using a water-breaker hose attachment. After the soil has settled and most of the water has drained out, I put the seeds directly on top of the soil and cover them with vermiculite. I then put them in a translucent enclosure with an automatic misting system until they sprout.
Old December 27, 2013   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've used the Hydrofarm Jumpstarts for the last 4 years and never had a problem with them. I transplant my seedlings to 4" CowPots and grow till ready for plant out. Then you plant the CowPot and it is a done deal. No transplant shock and the pot feeds the plant till it biodegrades and the aggregate takes over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4002.jpg (336.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4008.jpg (336.0 KB, 81 views)
Old December 27, 2013   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I have tried the coir and the peat pellets. I personally prefer the peat, my seedlings did way better for me with those. I only did the coir for one year's seedlings. The coir has no nutrients at all, so you better plant to a 3 or 4 inch potting mix based pot pretty soon( well established first true leaves) or the seedlings get stunted. I guess you could fertilize that soon if keeping in the coir. That's only my own experiences, so it may be very different for others.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2013   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The pictures in my previous post were taken 27 Apr 2013.
The next two were the 27 Apr plants transplanted into CowPots taken 08 May in the temp cold frame.
The third picture was taken 17 May of the same plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4013-001.JPG (162.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4014-001.JPG (170.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4055.jpg (552.1 KB, 81 views)
Old December 27, 2013   #9
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

do you think Jiffy-7 pellets are comparable to Hydrofarm jumpstart? They are cheaper from the sources I have found .
Old December 27, 2013   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

If you choose to use Jiffy , they make a larger pellet specific to tomatoes. Baby tomato plants grow fast and the small pellets dry out quickly indoors. Unless you live in a warm climate you will need to repot into a larger container within a few weeks until your soil warms sufficiently for outdoor planting.

If you can't devote a space to soil preparation and are growing a very small number of plants and keeping careful watch, the Jiffy for tomatoes will be more cost effective than starting with the smaller pellets and having to purchase larger pots. Otherwise, I second the above methods.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2013   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I have used Jiffy 7's in the past and once I went to Jump Starts I never looked back. Right now you can get the 81 pellet unit that includes the plastic start tray with Dome for $17.33 at Amazon with free shipping. Here are a couple pics of the 81 pellet unit.

If cost is a factor and the Jiffy 7's are cheaper then go with the Jiffy's.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Jump...farm+jumpstart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.JPG (123.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.JPG (106.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.JPG (148.5 KB, 77 views)
Old December 28, 2013   #12
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

I have Burpee XL ultimate 32 cell trays which I like a lot . I had seen the 81 pellet trays from hydrofarm but I dont need the tray . I also saw the pellets being sold in 81 count packs that were not much cheaper than the tray . Also buying 81 pellets doesnt work out all that well with the 32 cell trays I want to use .

The Burpee coir pellet refills are about $10 for 32 . I have 3 trays and although I can afford it I hate to spend $30 to refill 3 trays when I used to buy a bag of seed starting mix for 3-4 bucks.............but I dont believe the bag stuff gives the same results........ 8^) .......... so I am shopping for an affordable replacement ......
Old December 28, 2013   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I have used Jiffy 7's in the past and once I went to Jump Starts I never looked back. Right now you can get the 81 pellet unit that includes the plastic start tray with Dome for $17.33 at Amazon with free shipping. Here are a couple pics of the 81 pellet unit.

If cost is a factor and the Jiffy 7's are cheaper then go with the Jiffy's.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Jump...farm+jumpstart
Is this the same thing? Its at Amazon for 11.80 and free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JS81...d_sim_sbs_lg_1

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I am mixing a 50/50% blend of the Burpee XL coir pellets with Happy Frog. Seems to hold moisture pretty well, along with providing trace nutrients found in the Happy Frog which are just right for seed starting.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2013   #15
buckhunter
Tomatovillian™

happy frog ????