Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 15, 2009   #31
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Last week of Feb. for me. I try to get my plants into the garden the week of April 15.
Old November 2, 2009   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I just have to say this year was awful in our area of East Texas. I put the plants out. Had surgery and that night had a freeze. Poor husband was out in the cold and freezing weather on April 6th trying to save my plants because even in my heavily drug induced state I was worried about them. Yes that is right April 6th and a freeze in East Texas. Bad thing is it happened a couple of times after that. Then poor Veggie babe got hit with a tornado that rearanged her garden. Then we had monsoons and then hot and more hot. We had about every extreme we could get including hail.
So when am I going to start seeds in 2010? between January 1-15 like I did this year. Peppers and egg plants first and week later the tomatoes. Because who knows what the weather will do. I am hoping for an actual spring next year.
Kat
We had almost the same thing in SE Alabama. I had to wait longer than I wanted because of unusually harsh cold snaps right up til mid Apr. Then we had 2 weeks with temps around 100+ in June stopping the fruit set on many varieties followed by off and on torrential downpours and 100% humidity then a cooler and wetter Aug. and Sept. I kept starting new plants all summer and setting them out to replace dying ones and other crops that were ending. I will plan to do this from now on; starting seed from Jan. - July and if none of the early ones die then I'll just throw away the new plants when they get too leggy to use. It's what I did this year and despite the crazy weather I have had a steady supply of tomatoes June - Nov. This is better than the feast or famine methods I've used in the past.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #33
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Not sure yet as I have not picked up my 2010 Blum's Almanac. (no, I don't really know if seeding and planting by the signs really works. Maybe they just do better because I pay more attention when I seed and plant that way)

This past year peppers seeded March 26th, Tomatoes April 2nd for May 7/8th set out. 2010 hopefully close to that.

TimothyT
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #34
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I used to be in zone 5, but in the eyes of the newest hardiness zone map done by the Arbor Day folks I am now in zone 6a. My last "average" frost date is April 28 (give or take a week each side of that) with record last frost May 15. Therefore armed with that information I will begin tomato seed planting March 17 at 10:37 a.m.
Old November 3, 2009   #35
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

zone 5
tomatoes started 2nd week in March
peppers started beginning of February
eggplant - hopefully same as peppers since this is 1st year starting from seed
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #36
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully, I'll have mine started by Jan 1st and start planting in stages mid-february.....I had plants in the ground last february 1st and had several freezes which had me scrambling and they just sit there til March came around.....

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #37
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

For me I will most likely start my maters in March.May start a few seeds a little early that I want to try to get some early maters. Peppers are a different story as some are some like Bhut that can take a while to germinate. So pepper planting will begin at the end of January and continue through February. Eggplant will most likely be started the same time as tomatoes.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009   #38
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
This was an awful year for S.E. Texas too. It was cold cold cold, and then blast furnace nonstop for months. Very much a fluke, and not something I expect to see again in my lifetime. I got 1/3 my usual production. I'm not sure I would make any planning decisions based on what happened this year.
Please, I hope you dont mind me asking. I want to plant my seeds indoors and then move outdoors when the time is. I just dont know when to do either one. What are your plans as we live in the same city. Acutally I live between Houston & Humble but its close enough I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJO
This year I started seeds around Jan. 17th and regretted being behind the curve --the curve being Shelley and Roy, naturally. Next year I will make starting seed the official New Years Day Afternoon Activity. I may get lucky and have a big aquarium light rig for my babies this year.
Ah, maybe I need to do the same celebration. That sounds like a good idea. I can pass around homemade apple cider (18% ABV) and plant my tomatoes

Last edited by Mjdtexan; December 26, 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: UNDERDOG LIVES
Mjdtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009   #39
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

I am starting most of my tomatoes March 15-20, and planting them out in the greenhouse first- to mid May. The ones I grow outside the greenhouse, I start April 1. and planting them out about June 1-10.
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009   #40
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I'll be seeding peppers this weekend and tomatoes by Jan 1 and a dozen heat varieties by the 10th. have a mini green house to harden them off this year and should have them all planted between 2/14 and 2/28.

MikeInCypress
Old December 26, 2009   #41
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

I'll be starting seeds beginning the second weekend of January for myself and those I grow for in the Houston area. I have a friend who lives in the College Station area, and I will start his seeds mid February. I busied myself today turning composted cow manure into my beds.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009   #42
Mjdtexan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwselke View Post
I'll be starting seeds beginning the second weekend of January for myself and those I grow for in the Houston area. I have a friend who lives in the College Station area, and I will start his seeds mid February. I busied myself today turning composted cow manure into my beds.
I am excited about this coming years tomatoes. I ordered some really neat seeds for 2010
Old December 30, 2009   #43
ddrsheden
Tomatovillian™

I live in West Central IL. Going to start mine March 1st. Starting my super hot peppers January 15th.
ddrsheden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010   #44
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

Even facing the coldest winter Houston has seen in 15 years, I could not stand the waiting any longer. Last night I mixed up a bucket of planting mix and seeded Brandy Boy, Bush Early Girl, Carnival, Grape, Marianna's Peace, New Big Dwarf, Persimmon, Sweet 100, and Solar Fire. I may regret it come late in February if I run out of space under the lights, but 70 % of the palnts are for other folks so I'll let them deal with them at that time.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2010   #45
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I planted out last week, then my mom killed about 3/4 of them "helping" me. She put the seedling flats outside in the sun with the domes on. Well they are ok to go outside, even with the domes on, but not to sit in the sun, out here in the desert, the sun even in winter is very harsh. So most of the little plants that were about a inch tall died. I had to replant. I swear her "help" causes me much more work than it should.
BUT what I can say about the desert, is that I have been getting nice ripe red Gardeners Delights, and Cherokee Chocolates for about the last 2 weeks. It has been very nice! AND my dad is getting the greenhouse up so that I can put some beds in there, and a work bench or two.

I plan to plant out somewhere between Feb 21, and March 1.
Sammiek.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote