Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2014   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Testing for viability of Germination.

Sometimes it is desirable to determine if a package of seeds is viable or alive. The method is to place the seed on a damp base, paper towel, or kleenex and keep moist at a suitable temperature ( ~75F) until sprouting occurs or not.

Can seeds grow submerged in water?
Answer, No.
Why?
All seeds need oxygen to germinate, if submerged the seed is not getting the required oxygen. Hence no growth.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Can seeds grow submerged in water?
Answer, No.
Why?
All seeds need oxygen to germinate, if submerged the seed is not getting the required oxygen. Hence no growth.
Not true, at least not for tomato seeds. How many times have seed-saving folks let a fermentation go on for too long and had the seeds sprout in the fermenting liquid? It's happened to me several times.

One year after getting poor germination in the seed-starting medium I was using, I also resorted to starting seeds of several tomato varieties in 100% tap water (yes, chlorinated) in the little 2-oz plastic containers that some restaurants use for serving sauces. For this, you do need to keep a careful eye on the heat (mine was at ~80*F), change the water at least daily, and as soon as you see the little white radicle poking out, very carefully transfer the sprouting seed to damp growing medium along with a spoonful of water. Use caution during the transfer process because the radicle is very brittle and damage to it can be fatal. It's a time-consuming way to start seeds but it worked. I saw nearly 100% germination with this method.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #3
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I germinate my tomato seeds in a bowl with about a 1/4 inch of tap water. Change the water daily. When the seeds sprout or nearly sprout I use a tootpick to transfer them to the top of planting mix and then cover with 1/4 inch of the mix.

Zeuspaul
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote