Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 19, 2013   #1
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Default suggestions planting times

I want to mail my nieces seeds every month, that they can plant that month (indoors or out). They visited my garden this year (which I thought looked disastrously), but they fell in love! In love with vegetables and gardening and bugs. Now they keep asking me for seed, and I have plenty to share with them. I thought it be neat to send them seeds every month (since they like getting mail) and they could learn to garden that way. Their parents are giving them garden space.

But here's where I need suggestions, some months I don't plant anything so I don't know what to send them. I can order the seed, that's not a problem. I'm in Virginia 7a and I start planting February with celery and onions- then by June I don't plant much more. August I start fall veg and that stops pretty soon. What could I mail them for January, July, and Sep, Nov, Dec? Any Suggestions?
Old December 19, 2013   #2
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I recommend looking at the Southern Exposure Seed Exchanges catalog. They have a planting date guide for where they grow in zone 7a in Virginia. Might give you some ideas. Their 2014 catalog pdf can be found here. The guide is on page 2. Hope this helps you out some.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

What zone are they in? The same as yours?

For whichever winter month is ~two months before their last frost date, I'd send a windowsill kit with peat pellets and pepper seeds. Then the next month I'd send the same but tomato seeds.

For July, I'd send something quick growing that can be brought inside, like one of the asian greens in a tray.

For September, I'd send a little flower pot, a coir pellet, and Mohamed or another micro.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

How about some herb seeds to grow inside over the winter?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Some good indoor crops are alfalfa or lentil sprouts, or kitty grass (if they have a cat or otehr small mammal).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #6
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

Doing pea or sunflower shoots as well. They would get taller than sprouts and would be sweeter and tastier to a child.
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2014   #7
happydog
Tomatovillian™

This is a fun little booklet that you print out and fill in with your frost free dates. Then it's easy to see what should be planted, and when. You could even make one for each of your nieces and send it to them.

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2...ng-garden.html

It's fun and very helpful.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote