Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 18, 2013   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

C. moschata all the way? Is that a winter squash that you are going to use as a summer squash also?

Me, I still like my early pepos for summer squash.

Winter squash...still looking for that elusive moschata that has the flavor of the best maximas. I've gone to the point of trialing my own experimental squash...

moschata x (maxima x moschata)

and

maxima x (maxima x moschata)

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #17
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had any luck with Partenon squash? It is parthenocarpic which means it is basically self-pollinating or more accurately doesn't need pollination to produce fruit. I am experimenting this year with growing it in a pop-up tent along with eggplant and some cucumber to try to avoid the "bugs". It is just coming up now so will have to see what happens. Some flea beetles have already found the eggplants but are easy to kill. I assume they were already in the soil. The other critter to deal with is slugs so I sprinkled plenty of Sluggo around. The tent does not keep away things already in the soil like cutworms, ants and slugs so I do have to monitor. I have been growing broccoli and Brussel Sprouts in another tent for three years and have gotten great results - no more worms!!!Whether I avoid the Squash bugs remains to be seen but I can be sure to not have the Squash borer.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #18
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
C. moschata all the way? Is that a winter squash that you are going to use as a summer squash also?

Winter squash...still looking for that elusive moschata that has the flavor of the best maximas. I've gone to the point of trialing my own experimental squash...

and

Gary
not sure if you directed this to me gary but yes waltham butternut period. tastes great and keeps for a very long time. svb can't hurt them so that's my winter squash. i described what i do for yellow and green summer squash, started zucchini seeds yesterday.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #19
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
Has anyone had any luck with Partenon squash? It is parthenocarpic which means it is basically self-pollinating or more accurately doesn't need pollination to produce fruit. I am experimenting this year with growing it in a pop-up tent along with eggplant and some cucumber to try to avoid the "bugs". It is just coming up now so will have to see what happens. Some flea beetles have already found the eggplants but are easy to kill. I assume they were already in the soil. The other critter to deal with is slugs so I sprinkled plenty of Sluggo around. The tent does not keep away things already in the soil like cutworms, ants and slugs so I do have to monitor. I have been growing broccoli and Brussel Sprouts in another tent for three years and have gotten great results - no more worms!!!Whether I avoid the Squash bugs remains to be seen but I can be sure to not have the Squash borer.
Hey Gardadore, you gotta picture of your tent set-up???
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #20
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I bought the tent from Gardener's Supply, the 4' x 4'. You need to reinforce the corners with poles or stakes so it doesn't cave in easily. This version seems to have a stronger and finer mesh than the one they had two years ago which is starting to tear. The fabric of the old one is clearly being affected by the sun and drying out. I do put them away over the winter since they fold up easily - but don't go back into the carrier bag again so I just stand it against a wall in the shed. In this new 4 x 4 one I placed 6 eggplants across the back, bought a cement ladder which bends for the cucumbers to grow up and across - planted cucumbers on each end, and made three mounds of Partenon squash - one in the middle and one on each side towards the front. I planted 2 seeds in each mound (6 total). 5 have come up so I will see if I have spaced them well or not. It could get crowded in there! I had to replant the cucumber seeds since the only one that came up was eaten off but I have added Diatomaceous Earth and Sluggo to discourage them. Will see if I can photograph the interior but I have never posted photos to this site before so must check out how you do it! Here is the link to the Pop up tent:
http://www.gardeners.com/Tall-Pest-C...efault,pd.html

I just checked that I bought this on sale a year ago on June 22, 2012 for $36.49 so maybe they will have it on sale in a couple of days again this year! It is still a reasonable price at $44.95 if it lasts better than the first one I bought (a 4' x 6' for the broccoli).

Last edited by Gardadore; June 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: additional clarification
Old June 19, 2013   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
not sure if you directed this to me gary but yes waltham butternut period. tastes great and keeps for a very long time. svb can't hurt them so that's my winter squash. i described what i do for yellow and green summer squash, started zucchini seeds yesterday.

tom
No Tom, the question was for "unless".

I know how you feel about Waltham butternut. I wish it was so easy for me to think it's great tasting.
I'm trialing about 25 maximas and moschatas this year.

Thanks for the reminder about long keepers. I'd better check on the two Tahitian Melon squashes I still have in the basement.

Gary
Old June 19, 2013   #22
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i'm surprised that you don't like waltham butternut. it is really sweet, sautes nicely, mashes fine, easy to peel (no scallops or warts), stores like a brick, what's not to like? taste is subjective apparently wb isn't cutting it for you.

i have grown several different winter squash varieties but unless they had solid vines they all died in late july, i just gave up. i have tried 3-4 moschatas but none of them are as easy to use or taste as good as wb.

i'm not easy to please but wb is ok for me.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old June 19, 2013   #23
unless
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

and

Gary
hi gary! there are a select handful of c. moschata varieties suitable as summer squash. i know, i was surprised too!

avocado squash:

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_368-188.html

tromboncino squash:

http://www.southernexposure.com/trom...3-g-p-163.html

there's also tatume squash, which IS c. pepo but known for its supposedly outstanding pest and disease resistance, as well as its tolerance of intense heat and humidity:

http://www.rareseeds.com/tatume-squa/

more info about tatume squash:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/n...un/tatume.html

i don't know why i didn't think to grow tatume before; they sell it in local grocery stores around here (south texas), so it must be well suited to our area. i think it is almost immune to squash vine borer because its stems, though hollow, are quite thin and tough (somebody please correct me if i am off base here).
unless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #24
unless
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardadore View Post
Has anyone had any luck with Partenon squash? It is parthenocarpic which means it is basically self-pollinating or more accurately doesn't need pollination to produce fruit.
this is fascinating! i had no idea such a squash existed.
Old June 19, 2013   #25
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I bought the Partenon seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds. I always grew them outside and like them because they don't have as many seeds in the cavities. This is the first time I am trying to grow them inside a covered area. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8311-partenon-f1-og.aspx

Last edited by Gardadore; June 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to include link
Old June 20, 2013   #26
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i'm surprised that you don't like waltham butternut. it is really sweet, sautes nicely, mashes fine, easy to peel (no scallops or warts), stores like a brick, what's not to like? taste is subjective apparently wb isn't cutting it for you.

i have grown several different winter squash varieties but unless they had solid vines they all died in late july, i just gave up. i have tried 3-4 moschatas but none of them are as easy to use or taste as good as wb.

i'm not easy to please but wb is ok for me.

tom
What's not to like?

For me, it's taste and texture. It's sweet, but it just doesn't have the rich flavor I'm looking for. And it's kind of light and grainy, when compared to the most dense silky smooth winter squashes. Next year, I may work on trying to convince you to try Tetsukabuto or maybe the best moschata in my trials for this year.

Waltham does have everything else in a squash that I'm looking for.

Gary
Old June 20, 2013   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by unless View Post
hi gary! there are a select handful of c. moschata varieties suitable as summer squash. i know, i was surprised too!

avocado squash:

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_368-188.html

tromboncino squash:

http://www.southernexposure.com/trom...3-g-p-163.html

there's also tatume squash, which IS c. pepo but known for its supposedly outstanding pest and disease resistance, as well as its tolerance of intense heat and humidity:

http://www.rareseeds.com/tatume-squa/

more info about tatume squash:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/n...un/tatume.html

i don't know why i didn't think to grow tatume before; they sell it in local grocery stores around here (south texas), so it must be well suited to our area. i think it is almost immune to squash vine borer because its stems, though hollow, are quite thin and tough (somebody please correct me if i am off base here).

I'm leary of a winter squash that is also "suitable" as a summer squash.

I had tromboncino seeds a few years ago, but they didn't germinate. I don't know if I'll trial again. I likely have several dozen moschata varieties in my collection of squashes, so maybe I still have some older seed, or some newer seed that came in a trade and I haven't even sorted it yet (it goes by more than one name). So, by "accident" it may get planted next year.

Gary
Old June 20, 2013   #28
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

sounds good gary. so Tetsukabuto is a maxima?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old June 20, 2013   #29
unless
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm leary of a winter squash that is also "suitable" as a summer squash.

I had tromboncino seeds a few years ago, but they didn't germinate. I don't know if I'll trial again. I likely have several dozen moschata varieties in my collection of squashes, so maybe I still have some older seed, or some newer seed that came in a trade and I haven't even sorted it yet (it goes by more than one name). So, by "accident" it may get planted next year.

Gary
no leeriness necessary. my word choice was poor. i said there are some c. moschata varieties suitable as summer squash, but i never said these are merely winter squash passing marginally as summer squash (because they're not). avocado squash has been grown exclusively as summer squash in east asia for a very long time. i have not read anything about its use as a winter squash. also, tromboncino squash is rarely eaten as a winter squash because it is too watery for that purpose.
Old June 20, 2013   #30
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by unless View Post
i will definitely try the foil method on the surviving plants!!!

also, would floating row covers do me any good? i planted the seeds in march, and the squash had already been setting fruit for a month before the squash vine borers attacked. if i'd used floating row covers, i'd have had to remove them in late april anyway, and i'm pretty sure the vine borers made their appearance after that.

delaying planting may or may not work here; i'm not sure. i could maybe wait until september to sow. there are multiple generations of squash vine borer per year in these parts, i'm told.

my tentative plan for next year is to abandon c. pepo entirely. C. MOSCHATA ALL THE WAY!
!!
Hey my friend, I am near Houston and have been saying all spring that since we had no real freeze for an extended period last winter that the bugs were going to go crazy this spring. They have.

As soon as I saw the borers I just pulled them, put in purple hull and okra in those patches.

Was no point in fighting it.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote