Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2013   #1
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Default To pull or not to pull?

I have been trimming back plants in preparation to remove ones that have seen better days with the intention of replacing them with seedlings. I started this about a week ago, just leaving enough to let the last tomatoes on the plants start ripening. Well, today, I went to trim the rest down so I can dump the buckets and refill them tomorrow, but several of the plants have started sending out nice, healthy looking shoots! Three of them, actually. One of which is a determinate (Principe Borghese.) The other two are grapes. Should I let these regrow or would it be better to pull and replant? Does anyone try to keep tomato plants growing all year?
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had some luck with trimming them back and letting them grow again but find it more productive in the long run to just replace tomatoes that are no longer really healthy or performing well. I find it is usually a lot less work and far more productive to just start new ones than baby the fading ones.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2013   #3
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have had some luck with trimming them back and letting them grow again but find it more productive in the long run to just replace tomatoes that are no longer really healthy or performing well. I find it is usually a lot less work and far more productive to just start new ones than baby the fading ones.
I went out and looked at the plants early this morning and had that Monty Python quote going through my head, "I'm not dead yet!" I have an awful time tossing plants. Yet, because I'm using Larry Hall's Rain Gutter Growing System, I really have limited space. Thanks for telling me your experience. Maybe I'll toss the determinate and mystery grape and experiment with the Hssiao His Hung Shih. This plant is a weed. I think it grew visibly since last night and put out flowers on the new growth.
Old February 20, 2013   #4
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Hello Freya,

I did the same as you. A couple of weeks before I pulled them I pruned them way back thinking all the energy would go to ripening the fruit. All the really small fruit and blossoms I removed also.

I went ahead and pulled mine on the 11th. First I pulled all the fruit off and left as much stem attached to the fruit as I could and scattered them on my picnic table. Don't know if it helps to leave stems attached but it was recommended by a friend. My green tomatoes are turning pink and have been eating some everyday. I was remembering about last summer how the temps and humidity really played havoc on the plants I transplanted in the middle of March, so I wanted to get my transplants going as soon as possible. Trying Cherokee Purple now.

Good luck Freya!!!!!

Mike
Old February 20, 2013   #5
mikej
Tomatovillian™

All of these were green when I pulled them. I have already pulled most of the stems off and have given away 4 times this many.

Old February 21, 2013   #6
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Mikej, NICE! That is very encouraging. VERY. What variety(ies) you're showing in the pictures? From how many plants did you pick all these? They look amazing!

This will be my first summer trying tomatoes (again.) I've been summer gardening the past few years, but going with heat/humidity tolerant plants and interesting tropicals I'd never heard of before. But, of course, I really want to have some tomatoes and have such things as Everglades growing now, and have several that will be ready to plant out soon that are supposed to be more heat tolerant. (I already have 3 purple cherokees in my aquaponic system just beginning to set fruit. So happy! I LOVE this variety.)

This year I seem to have accidentally planted in three cycles. The first I planted out September (the determinates are long gone, but the indeterminates are the ones needing to be removed.) Second cycle I planted out in December (all indeterminates that have fruit, but only one is has any ripening yet.) And now February/March (mainly determinates, but a couple indeterminates.) I'm hoping the determinates will give me a lot of fruit before it gets TOO hot/humid, and that the indeterminates will take me, with random fruitings, through the summer. That would be so cool. I do realize that I'm probably already too late for these summer ones, but I'm new to this. Next year I'll be SO prepared.
Old February 21, 2013   #7
attml
Tomatovillian™

MikeJ,

Agreed - beautiful harvest!!! Nice work!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #8
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

mikej, those pictures are beautiful! I'll second the request for variety. Just looking at those tomatoes makes me want to go outside and dig!

Christy
checkerkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #9
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone! These are Brandywine I grew from Ferry Morse seed that someone gave me. I had 15 plants that I had been harvesting from since the first part of December. Neighbors and family have been enjoying them. Freya I started these seed in August and transplanted in the garden in September. It has been very gratifying to eat these tasty tomatoes that I grew. Here is a pic I have posted on this board before. It was taken in mid December. The pics above are some of what was left on the plants when I decided to pull them. I have given most of them away.

Old February 21, 2013   #10
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Thanks everyone! These are Brandywine I grew from Ferry Morse seed that someone gave me...
I've never grown Brandywine, but have been thinking about it (when so many varieties are compared to it, it's hard not to take notice.) This looks sooo good that I may have to add it to my 2013 fall list.
Old February 21, 2013   #11
mikej
Tomatovillian™

First time I have ever eaten Brandywine. I think they are delicious. There are some drawbacks. ugly fruit, not real productive, short shelf life. I saved seed and am going to grow some more starting the seed in August.

I was in Fort Myers today on Daniels Rd. I drove my brother over to have eye surgery.
Old February 21, 2013   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous Mike, really just gorgeous!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #13
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
I was in Fort Myers today on Daniels Rd. I drove my brother over to have eye surgery.
I was on that road twice today. If I'd known you were, I would have waved.

As for ugly fruit, I found them much more interesting after a while than the perfect ones.