Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 7, 2009   #1
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default Putting plants out early??

So they say that where I live is in Zone 9 (30 miles south of Houston), but it's a little hard to tell sometimes with the flip-flop of our winter temperatures. Anyway, I've been playing around with the idea of putting my plants out earlier than usual and protecting with Agribon row cover or an equivalent. Has anyone ever done this?

My timing has always been off by a few weeks, planting in early March instead of mid-February. This year I'll be able to do it mid-Feb, but I'm not overlooking the possibility of a surprise frost. Any of you had good or bad experiences with row covers?
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not row covers but we used to have a big pile of coffee cans we would put over the plants in case there was a frost.

The last week of February is about the time I put out plants here.

Definitely February were you live as I did this in Angleton Texas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #3
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth!

Well I guess it's looking what I used to think was "late" is now on time.

My plants will probably be too big for coffee cans. They're 4 weeks old right now, about 5" tall.
Old January 7, 2009   #4
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

I just cut the bottom out of milk jugs.

Old January 7, 2009   #5
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to be drinking a lot of milk between now and planting out time!

When do you all get hit with your heat? We might have a brief spell of it in the spring, but it rolls in to stay for good on June 15.
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #6
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Depending on the height of your transplants why not dig a deeper hole amend the hole. Strip the leaves that will be below the surface and place the plastic container top hat over the remaining 2 to 3 in above the surface. I've been collecting 1gal water jugs to protect the seedlings that I'm winter sowing once they are ready to transplant.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2009   #7
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Ok, that sounds good. I've also got a bunch of large pots and 5 gallon pails that will work, as my transplants might be big. I was also thinking about the soil heating cables.
Old January 7, 2009   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget a yard sprinkler on your plants will work wonders to keep them protected against a frost or light freeze.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2009   #9
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Year before last I planted 60 plants on March 1st and March 5th we had a freeze....I had all plants under 3# coffee cans and they still froze...this year I am planning on planting in stages...one row every 2 weeks. The heirlooms will go in first and the earlies will go in last but if we have threat of frost or freeze I plan on covering the whole garden with plastic sheeting and putting a heater in the tent. If that dont do it I'll just go back to replanting if I lose any plants to frost.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2009   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Several of us talked about plant protection in the thread about building cages, somewhere on page 2 and on.

The agribon only gives you a degre or 2 of protection unless you use the really heavy stuff.

What my neighbor does is plant and put his large cages in place right away. He then wraps clear plastic around the side of the cage, leaving the top open. I don't know if he uses water jugs inside the cage, but I would put in at least 3-5 gallons in milk jugs or 2 liter soda bottles.

The plastic will warm up the water and the ground so the plant will grow faster. IF the temp are going to get under 40* at nite put plastic or a blanket or something over the top to keep the heat in.

In general, for every week you plant earlier than normal AND protect the plant, you gain 2 weeks of earlier picking. Occasionally everything goes bad and you lose it all, but usually you will gain with the extra attention.

Like Worth also mentioned, sprinkler irrigation water will also save plants from frost. You need to start a light sprinkler before the temp gets below freezing and keep it running til after the water melts off the ice that will form on the plants. You only need 1/10 of an inch of water/ hour (basically a heavy mist) so some mini or micro sprinklers will work if set up properly.

If you can, go for it. With my neighbors set up, his plants are growing out the top of 4 ft cages by about the end of June here when he takes the plastic off. That's great considering he plants around the middle of May and I usually don't get to planting til the end of May / beginning of June.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2009   #11
Magnolias4Ever
Tomatovillian™

I like the idea of staggering the plantings... I might try that myself. I'm in the Mobile AL area and I feel that most of us in the South have to get our tomatoes in the ground early because of the extreme heat that hits the end of June/beginning of July. By the time July gets here, most of my tomatoes last year bit the dust -- it was just too darn hot for them to set fruit. And those that did have fruit, well, for example Speckled Roman, the plant was so dense and the humidity was so high that the fruit wanted to start to cook/rot a day or two before it was time to harvest. Next time I plant Speckled Roman, I will have to to a "pruning" of the plant to allow better air circulation...

This year I am planning on getting my plants started inside on Feb 1 and then transplanting outside on March 15. But, I may also do the staggered plantings now and plant another batch on March 22 and a final batch on March 29. I am hoping that we don't have any "last minute" freeze or frost warnings.... I can remember one "Spring Break" that we had in March that it snowed! I think that was back in '87. We always have the craziest weather down here.

I had tremendous success with Heatwave II (hybrid) last year... it even continued to set fruit in July and August! They were the last plants that I pulled up. I will be replanting this variety again. I am also going to try "Creole" (OP) since it was bred for the high heat/humidity of the South.

Any other suggestions for OP varieties that do well in our high heat and humidity?
Old January 8, 2009   #12
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

You should be very happy with Creole. Mortgage Lifter has done well for me also. Arkansas Traveler makes a good one for processing/canning, but I thought it was a little grainy/mealy for a fresh eater.

I'm with you about staggering the plantings. My original plan only allows room for 12 plants this year, so I'm starting enough for 12 replacements in case anything should happen. If my first 12 make it, then I'll add the 2nd batch of 12 and squeeze them in my tomato bed. If I do some heavy pruning and stay on top of my side shoots, I'll have room for everything.
Old January 8, 2009   #13
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

If you havent tried Bloody Butcher you may give it a try...its a golf ball size mater that didnt slow down during the summer..I planted way too many the first year I tried them and was begging people to come over and harvest.
Another favorite of mine last year was Green Zebra, another smallish mater but larger than a golf ball...it has a zingy taste and did quite well during the summer. Its good eating just off the vine.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2009   #14
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Did you say you needed hot & humid suggestions?
I agree with Traveller, Creole & Mortgage Lifter.
Here's a few more that others may be more familiar with -
Mule Team, Tropic, Sioux, Jeff Davis, Gulf State Market, Black from Tula, Black Crim.
whew...also Constuluto Genovese.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote