Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2009   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default 14 Bags

That's right I just scored 14 LARGE bags of pine needles from a house in a subdivision I was putting around in yesterday.
They were raking the things up so I stooped and asked what they were going to do with them.
I told them I would take them off of their hands for my garden and they were more than happy to get rid of the things.
The bags were all lined up and bagged ready for me today at the curb.
They also turned me on the a lot more in another subdivision they have a friend that lives in.

Looks like the mulch problem is solved for this year along with the hay I will get.
Looks like the Triumph is a good recon device.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Geez, and your wife thought the Triumph was just a toy.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #3
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

I'm known as the bag man in our neighborhood. My wife gets embarrassed when I stop and throw a bag or two in the truck. I've been doing it for years and now grow mostly in the top 6 inches of leaf mold.
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Hey Michael!

I lucked out on 3 giant bags of leaves from the neighbors the other day. I've cleaned out all the weeds from my old 4x16 beans/cukes bed and folded some kitchen scraps and a whole bag of leaves into it. I did the same thing with my reliable 4x8 tomato bed. Once I clear out the tomato plants from my newest 4x16 bed (that bed is still producing tomatoes, believe it or not), it will also get the leaves treatment.

Then I have to figure out what to do with my blackberry brambles. That bed is out of control, which is hopefully a good thing if I get gallons of berries as some writeups have predicted.

I'm still on the lookout for any kind of compost and/or manure sources. My only reservation about continuing to use Black Kow is the idea of using a variety of compost sources. I've used Black Kow for a couple of years now. I've used cotton burr compost and sheep manure at various times as well, so I will probably use a combination, unless I can get my hands on something exotic (elephant, perhaps?).

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #5
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Visit your local park as many local communities have stock piles of ground up trees from IKE free for the taking. I'm out of work now so I haul a pickup load every other day or so weather depending. Pile it up throw alittle dirt on it and cover with black plastic and it will breakdown fast. Just turn it every couple of weeks.
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote