Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 22, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default One Month Until MAGTAG 2009!

(Note: this is exactly the same message that I posted on that OTHER forum.)

Time to start thinking about what you intend to contribute (besides tomatoes, of course).

This weekend I will look through the leftover supplies from last year's event, and see what we can still use.

As usual, I will run the BLT Bar. I'm taking a vacation day 8/21 to nuke several pounds of bacon. Like last year, he bar will include various types of bread, mayo (Duke's if I can still find it), olive oil, basil, romaine and iceberg lettuce, and several types of cheese. I will probably need extra tomatoes, though (help, Mr. Flynn!). If you have any special requests, like other condiments or turkey/soy bacon, please let me know.

I'll also supply soap for the restrooms and hand sanitizer for the portable potty. As usual, I will provide directional signs/posters. Greg F., do your kids want to do the tip jar this year?

My DH Dave has once again offered his grilling services, if sombody provides stuff for him to grill. Perhaps Dave and Greg M can tag-team again this year. If you are a vegetarian or have other special dietary needs, and would like something like veggie burgers or tofu dogs, please bring them.

I will provide wine and leave the beer to the brewmeisters.

And since my Dad, Edwin R. Strakna, will be 87 on 8/23, Dave is buying a "Mobtown Brown" pie (that's the MD version of a Derby Pie - the name "Derby" is patented) and a fruit pie from Dangerously Delicious in Baltimore (here's a shameless plug for Rodney Henry, who runs the place, and whose motto is "Rock 'n' Roll and Pies"-www.dangerouspies.com)

I intend to continue last year's tradition of presenting the person/group who has traveled the farthest with a can Maryland's most famous condiment, Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

Which reminds me - the Mid-Atlantic covers a large area, approximately from Southern NY to Southern VA. I know that the official Chesapeake Watershed goes as far north as western PA, since Dave and I see the signs when we take the turnpike to Somerset to visit his family. We don't want this to be purely a DC/Balto./Beltway festival. If you have any "signature" local favorites (tomatoes, dishes, etc.), by all means include them! (After all, everybody has heard of the mythical Jersey tomato.)

I thought that Greg F.'s "penny jar" method of tallying votes for the tasting competition worked pretty well last year. If I recall correctly, the only problem was that latecomers (like Bluekat with her magnificent assortment of 'maters) received fewer votes than earlybirds (like that dastardly Mr. Flynn). Should we specify a time for actual votes (not necessarily actual tasting)? Any other comments/ideas?

Lastly, you are all encouraged to bring any fruits of your harvest to the tasting, no matter how meager. We MUST end Greg Flynn's stranglehold on all the prizes.

Sorry for the rambling post. Happy gardening!
- Ceil
Old July 25, 2009   #2
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

No matter how meager? Okay, if anything from my wee meager harvest is extant, I'll bring it.

I will bring some gluten-free bread for the BLTs. Also a cheesecake w/strawberries on the side, which will not be gluten-free (it's a party, after all).

I can bring more stuff... let me know.

Christine
Old July 27, 2009   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Hey, Christine, last year by the time MAGTAG came around, all I had were a few Sungolds and Stupices to bring, so don't worry if you don't get a prolific harvest.
Old July 28, 2009   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Let me reiterate what Cecilia said....

Every year we have had more people which is GREAT! However, every year we have fewer varieties. Last year we had just over 50 types. This gig is about tomatoes so we need as many variaties represented as possible.

If you only have one plant and it has 3 tomatoes on it please bring one. You are sure to eat more than that during the tasting and Every one helps!

This is especially important this year because most of my 18 plants were destroyed by a herbicide in the manure that I got from a farmer. I will be lucky to bring more then 5 varieties myself. Currently I am talking to various friends who I gave plants hoping they will cough up a few that I can bring so more types can be represented.

Cecilia,

My girls will make the awards and if you like they can make the tip can as well unless you wanted to do that.

Also, could you make some of the bacon crispy this year? My wife likes it that way and was wondering. Also, if your stove is the issue or otherwise I could help you with that.

Greg
Old July 28, 2009   #5
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Hi, Greg - I should be able to fry up some of the bacon - I usually just nuke it all, since it's less work, but that's why it's not crispy.

And why don't you let your girls give the tip jar a try? They did such a good job on the prizes last year.
Old July 28, 2009   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecelia,

They would be delighted. Currently I have them generating electricty for the home in their spare time (large gerbil wheel). I will redirect their bountiful energies.

Sophia loves to use sparkles. Expect lots of them.

Ooh Ooh! I have a tom that may be a suprise this year. Either is a mutation of White Current or it the F1 of my cross with Cherokee Green. I just got one and it was great!

Thanks for all your efforts. This one will be our best yet!

Greg