Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 23, 2018   #61
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I am not an authoritarian on this subject therefore I see no need for me to speculate any farther.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #62
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

@Karen, Thanks, at this point I am just hoping a fraction survives and I'll buy the rest to fill the space.

@Dutch Thank you for taking the time to think about this, appreciate it.

Wishing you two a great season this year!
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #63
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Banadoura, Good luck! In case you've never tried the cherry Sungold F1, if you are forced to buy commercial tomato plants, you should definitely give it a whirl. For bigger tomatoes, I always loved Rose, a large, tasty pink which reminds me of my years in La Belle Province . Momotaro F1 is another large tasty pink that they sell there.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; April 23, 2018 at 06:13 PM.
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #64
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

M, I will be in touch with you soon and I know I have your e-mail stashed somewhere,I just need to find it,or you can PM it to me again,if you have time.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old April 23, 2018   #65
bower
Tomatovillian™

A bit of vinegar in hot water is also a great way to kill mold spores if the surface is not suitable for bleach. You can wipe down your windowsills (and windows) with that, then dry it with a dry cloth.

At this time of year it is possible to put tomatoes in a sunny window without supplemental light. I have done it and had no problems other than a bit of legginess in week 7-8, but that is better than death by ???
Best of luck, whatever you do. Hoping you have survivors for planting out time.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018   #66
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

@Labradors Thank you Linda, duly noted. The nursery nearby will have a decent collection of varieties to pick from. There's a chance some of those you mentioned will be carried. Have a great season this year!

@Carolyn, email sent.

@Bower, Thanks! I have 4 baby WhiskeyJacks that popped out after 5-6 days only, those seeds were the best among all 12 varieties I seeded this year

My window options are extremely limited, the only place left is next to my rosemary on the lower level where I emptied out my seed starting mix after transplanting my seedlings into a potting mix. Which means if we are dealing with spores, they probably have a colony there too!

I'll just wait it out, 1 more month and we'll see what survives till then.....my bet is one or more of the latest WJ's make it!
Old April 28, 2018   #67
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

A quick update on this issue applies

I have scoured the net to find pictures of tomato plants showing similar symptoms to my plants with no success.

I know that it's a fungus but unable to zero in on the disease. Today, I believe I finally cracked it so this update might hopefully help someone else who goes through the same thing in the future.

My issue was not damping off because the roots are healthy and stems are thickening. It was not soil borne, it was air borne.

Here's how my leaves look now:

The fungus causing this is black mold. It is that simple.

Today I discovered that ALL my windows on this floor had black mold, this explains the whole scenario. I should've looked earlier at this room but it was repainted and renovated just last summer.

The spores were sitting right next to the plants and happily enjoying themselves. I cleaned up everything on this floor today. My next test is to buy healthy plants and add them to the mix to see what will happen.
Old April 29, 2018   #68
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

@Dutch -- Thanks for posting those Cornell links. Those look very helpful!
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

You can see above where he said he sent me an e-mail,he did and we've been going back and forth on this issue, but he just made a discovery that may explain all of this, and when he gets a chance I'm pretty sure he will post about it here in his own thread.

Carolyn