Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 25, 2016   #16
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Clarence Birdseye may have your answer, flash freezing.
Closest you can get at home without liquid gasses is small pieces on a tray in the freezer.

They tore down the Birdseye building last year and put up a beautiful new hotel. Really a nice addition to town.

http://www.beauporthotel.com
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #17
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-freeze-melons/

Slice the melons into even slices horizontally then vertically to create chunks of melon.

Place the melon chunks on a cookie sheet in a single layer and place in the freezer for 6 to 12 hours.

Remove the melons from the freezer and place and layer the frozen melon chunks in a plastic container, with each layer separated by a sheet of wax paper.

Place the container in the freezer
Old October 5, 2016   #18
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I freeze all, or just about all fruits. Especially if that fantastic melon is ripe and we can only eat half.
With so many other seasonal fruits we are having an overload. I may have 50lbs of concord grapes this weekend...We'll have to juice that because of the seeds.

It is all about the density of the cell structure. How much water. Melons we cube and freeze quickly on trays, then load into zip-locks. Same with berries. Blueberries will become mushy thawed but because of the small size and the skins, they retain a bit of integrity still a bit cold and icy on cereal/yogurt/granola. I do dehydrate some fruits that are more dense. Freezing on a tray, then zip-locking or bagging, they are easy to take out a handful for breakfast. My husband will take out a handful of blueberries, some raspberries, frozen, and add to some granola/yogurt...off to work, and they thaw just a bit in a couple hours for a work breakfast.

They all freeze well, but like mentioned, the ones with a high water content are best used as ice in a frozen type of smoothy drink. I never add sugar. Just use frozen chunks in the blender. Some fruits freeze better if tossed in some lemon juice or citric acid before freezing...

I realize you do not have someone to freeze and blend a nice desert smoothy from such good fruits sent to you...but if you did, come cold weather and snow, that fresh fruit would be welcome in November and actually taste very close to fresh or at least similar to the summer memory, blended in an icy beverage almost like an ice cream if a bit of cream/or greek yogurt was added.

I freeze pounds of cherry toms the same way..freeze solid on trays, bagged, and use all winter. Grab a handful and use in blended drinks and tossed on egg tarts, pizzas etc.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote