Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 31, 2009   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting Ready for Fall Garden 2009

I decided since I've had such good luck starting my spring things indoors, I'd start most of my fall seedlings inside, as well. I have beets, cabbage, collards, kale, chard, broccoli and parsley sown and most of it's up already. I have carrots seeded outside. Later when it cools off, I'll start turnip greens, spinach and lettuce inside and that will just leave garlic and radishes to plant outside. I love all the cool weather greens. What's everybody else growing this fall/winter?
Old August 2, 2009   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

thats a great question Michele- Its been a heck of a busy summer here (my dad has been in the hospital twice), the garden has been tolerating my usually benign neglect pretty well. I cleared the spring arugula, they had set seed and were just a mess of slugs- the bed gets filtered sunlight so maybe more greens in that bed.

there is a bunch of purslane in the front of the beds at dads house, I havent gotten any more flowers planted in those spaces (and we like to add purslane to our salads!) I think I may plant some kale and beets over there.....

Here we have a huge bed of shasta daisies- im thinking about thinning some of them for more fall crops but i hope to have flowers to start selling at farmers market next year. . .

the salad burnet gets tender again in the fall (its actually regrowing now) and im going to plant a second course of lettuce hopefully this week.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2009   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

There's not a whole lot of my summer garden left. Three lonely tomato plants that are still kind of healthy, eggplant, peppers, sweet potatoes, okra and butter beans. I've planted or moved most of the fall things into the garden. We have carrots, radishes, beets, cabbage, collards, kale, broccoli and chard out there. All that's left to be planted are turnip greens, parsley, spinach, and lettuce. Then garlic later on. I find that if I plant in late summer, I can usually start harvesting some of these things around Thanksgiving, or even in October. Even though it's still hot here, getting them out now gives them a good start, before the days get short and the sun is lower in the sky. Planting when things cool off has not worked as well for me.

Anybody else putting in cool weather stuff now?
Old September 2, 2009   #4
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I have planted collards, kale, radishes, turnip greens, fall tomatoes and peppers, brussel sprouts and zucchini and yellow squash to see what happens. I think it will be a great fall.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2009   #5
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

planted kale, texel greens, arugula, lettuce, carrots, and beets! Hope yours grow well Neva, Im a lil jealous of your TX warmth
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

My beets, carrots, and spinach went in a week ago - probably late for my area. In early July I found very healthy cabbage plants marked down at Shopco so I planted in July. We have had such a cool summer they did well and are forming heads. These must have been really late arrivals at shopco b/c they were not overgrown, rootbound, etc. Lettuces from the spring have seeded themselves and hopefully will mature. I also saved a lot of heirloom lettuce seeds. The lettuce and spinach should perform well, we will wait and see on the beets and carrots. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009   #7
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Hey Shelly Bean, I'm just down the road.

I've got lettuce in a few spot, and need to get out there and get carrots in. Still have all but one tom, cut out a diseased sungold a few days ago. It was still producing but besides looking ugly and yellow was blocking alot of sun from peppers I'd like to ripen.

I planted baby pam pie pumpkins mid July, I've got several that have set fruit. I'm looking forward to them for Thanksgiving pies, maybe some on the porch by Halloween.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, RJ. Yeah, this cooler weather we've had this last week or so has been great for the fall veggies! Also gets the tomatoes flowering and setting fruit again.

The cabbage worms are having a party out there. I keep dusting the Dipel and the rain keeps washing it away.
Old September 3, 2009   #9
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to be mid 80's for the weekend, I'm hoping some of these toms will blush for me.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009   #10
beeman
Tomatovillian™

[quote=shelleybean;139674] What's everybody else growing this fall/winter?/quote]
Just one word SNOW.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2009   #11
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could start my winter stuff, but I am just now planting out my second set of fall tomatoes. WHOO HOO I am pretty sure that it will still be in the 100 degree range until around October so I think I will be able to get some good fruit until at least January, IF IF IF we have another mild winter.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2009   #12
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I love Fall weather and am hoping for a good crop of veggies since the summertime crops were less than satisfactory due to all the rain we had! I have planted Shanghai Bok Choy, Mei-Qing Bok Choy, dwarf Choy Sum, Michili cabbage, various lettuces, tendergreen mustard, red Japanese mustard, Kohlrabi, and radishes.
cottonpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2009   #13
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

I have snap beans, mustard, cauliflower and endive. Would have parsley, but have tried it three times this year and it never comes up.

I'd love some turnip greens, but the turnips I planted earlier got eaten up by turnip fleas.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2009   #14
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

checked this afternoon and my spinach has germinated! piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2009   #15
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple of varieties each of Brussels Sprouts, broccoli, carrots, and lettuce for the fall garden. Some of my pole beans are still producing.

I have a terrible time getting the timing right on the Brussels Sprouts. Either the sprouts aren't big enough before the cold weather and short days set in, or I plant too early and the plants get eaten up by critters.

I had good intentions of trying some fall peas this year, but never got around to seeding any. Maybe next year.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote