Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 2, 2016   #136
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
I have a terrible time with foliar diseases on my tomatoes. I tried the bleach solution this past season but i must have done sonething wrong because it wiped out my plants. I used 7 ounces of the normal 6% bleach solution and it was an offbrand name. I also sprayed about 4:00 pm but it was cloudy. May have been too hot.
This coming season i plan to try again using disase resistant tomatoes like mc, ispl, isrl, druzba , red brandywine, and amazon choc.
Also am making a few raised beds 4 feet wide for these plants. Using a cover crop and compost i am making along with shredded leaves from our woods behind the house.
Planning to use bleach again but much weaker solution also with daconil.
Is there anything anyone would suggest to hlp keep my tomatoes healty in 2016.

By the way i always start my own seed and have been doing do for about 8 years.
Just thought I would let you know that I grew Amazon Chocolate last year and it was not disease resistant. Until I learned about Bill's bleach spray mine was in terrible shape along with alot of other plants. I had to spray all the way til frost with my plant once heat and humidity was on.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #137
Chrysos
Tomatovillian™

Just wondering what I should do, I've got a few plants that have the beginnings of early blight. Picked off the bad leaves and was planning on using the bleach spray tonight after we had some light rain this morning. But it's supposed to be in the 90's for the next three days, low humidity. I'm concerned about spraying tonight when it's going to be so hot tomorrow. What do you think?
Chrysos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #138
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I can't say for sure but Bill is in Alabama I think and it is in the 90s probably darn near every day of June-August. I'd say Spray tonight so the leaves will be dry tomorrow.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2016   #139
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I agree with jmsieglaff. We been in high90's here and 100% humidty. I would spray either right before it gets dark or I do mine early in morning at soon at it light enough to see. We had almost 6 months last year of drought and super high temps some days well over 100+ and used the spray all the time and never had a bit of problems.

Like has been mentioned up above you may want to start with a little weaker solution and seee how that goes or try full recipe on a few plants to make sure you don't burn the tops. I did that first time I tried last year, but the plants all recovered fine.

Last edited by Starlight; June 2, 2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 3, 2016   #140
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Did your amazon chocolate survive and bear till frost after spraying with bleach last year??
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2016   #141
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Just thought I would let you know that I grew Amazon Chocolate last year and it was not disease resistant. Until I learned about Bill's bleach spray mine was in terrible shape along with alot of other plants. I had to spray all the way til frost with my plant once heat and humidity was on.
Just wonderd how your amazon chocolates did after you sprayed with bleach last year. Did they bear till frost?
Old June 3, 2016   #142
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
Just wonderd how your amazon chocolates did after you sprayed with bleach last year. Did they bear till frost?
Yes, it did survive, but for me, that is one tomato I doubt I will grow again. The tomatoes are beautiful to look at. I grew it because of the name. My taste buds said taste was ok, but plants only had a couple fruits on them.

The bleach spray does work and it did keep the plants going until a hard frost. Once I got the initial dead leaves where the bleach worked and I removed the dead leaves and kept up with spray, the plants started new growth looking good and producing.

I got my sprayer out yesterday and am going to be starting spraying today. I noticed as I was doing late night scouting a couple of leaves just starting to get a shiney look to them and heat and humidity so bad here the weeds need sprayed with molding.
Old June 3, 2016   #143
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to say that I also bought a bottle of Daconil that Bill had suggested too, but the bleach spray worked so well, I didn't need it.
Old June 3, 2016   #144
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Yes, it did survive, but for me, that is one tomato I doubt I will grow again. The tomatoes are beautiful to look at. I grew it because of the name. My taste buds said taste was ok, but plants only had a couple fruits on them.

The bleach spray does work and it did keep the plants going until a hard frost. Once I got the initial dead leaves where the bleach worked and I removed the dead leaves and kept up with spray, the plants started new growth looking good and producing.

I got my sprayer out yesterday and am going to be starting spraying today. I noticed as I was doing late night scouting a couple of leaves just starting to get a shiney look to them and heat and humidity so bad here the weeds need sprayed with molding.

My amazon chocolates this year are loaded with fruit. Most of any of the varieties in my garden.
Old June 3, 2016   #145
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Cool! : ) There just some plants that don't like the heat and humidty here. Learning about TT and the bleach spray last year even though it was late in the season has sure helped save my plants this year.
Old June 3, 2016   #146
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I personally have never grown Amazon Chocolate but the others mentioned as being disease resistant are not resistant to foliage diseases though some do have more resistance to fusarium and nematodes than many. I haven't found a single variety that is really resistant to foliage diseases and most of the so called black tomatoes are actually more susceptible to gray mold and thus need more spraying with bleach and copper fungicide. Copper seems to work better against gray mold than Daconil for me when fighting gray mold or even spot and speck diseased; but when it comes to things like Early Blight Daconil seems far superior in my experience. Down here no matter how well you try to protect your plants with fungicides the diseases will eventually get through and that is when the bleach spray really comes in handy.

The only time when the bleach solution when mixed and applied correctly will kill the whole plant is when the plant is totally diseased. I cannot stress enough the importance of using the bleach spray early in the disease process. As soon as you see disease on a plant there is a lot more there that you can't see and waiting only makes the problem worse.

Despite regular use of the bleach spray and applications of Daconil I am starting to see the first signs of speck and spot diseases so I will be applying a copper spray this week also as a preventative. So far gray mold has not made an appearance but I expect it any day now but maybe the regular spraying has kept it at bay along with unusually dry hot weather.

We are expecting rain the next few days and after the week of near 100 degree temps I'm sure I'll see some GM next week on at least a few of my black tomatoes. JD's Special C Tex, Black Krim, Carbon, Indian Stripe, Cherokee Purple, Spudakee, Black from Tula, or Berkley Tie Dye Pink are usually the first to get Gray Mold. The GWR tomatoes seem to also be more susceptible than the pinks and reds.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #147
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

This is a great thread. Thanks to Bill , with lots of contribution on the subject.
I just came here to get my numbers straight as far as mixing the spray.
I usually get Gray Mold later in the season but this year so far , it has been way cooler than average, lot more clouds and drizzle. So I am seeing some fungal diseases. I have already done one round of clorox spray and getting ready to do it again when it stops drizzling. .

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #148
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We have been getting daily thunderstorms almost every day since my last post. Most without enough rain to wet the ground but enough to thoroughly wet the plants; but we did get a couple of nice ones with about 1/2 inch. The result is Gray Mold on many of my black tomatoes and a few of the others so I have already used my bleach spray twice and a copper spray once.

Bill
Old July 12, 2016   #149
Hedgehog49080
Tomatovillian™

Went to the store to get the bleach to try this out. Returned home empty-handed with a bad case of "shopper's overload". Finally decided on what scent of bleach to use from Lavender, Fresh Meadow, Clean Linen, or Lemon Fresh. I chose Lavender. Then I went to pick up a dish detergent as a sticker and was confronted by the following choices, among many more. Orange, New Zealand Spring, lemon, green apple, pomegranate, Classic, Original, Hawaiian Aloha, Hawaiian Pineapple... I gave up and came home tail-between-my-legs. I will attempt this again tomorrow.
Hedgehog49080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #150
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog49080 View Post
Went to the store to get the bleach to try this out. Returned home empty-handed with a bad case of "shopper's overload". Finally decided on what scent of bleach to use from Lavender, Fresh Meadow, Clean Linen, or Lemon Fresh. I chose Lavender. Then I went to pick up a dish detergent as a sticker and was confronted by the following choices, among many more. Orange, New Zealand Spring, lemon, green apple, pomegranate, Classic, Original, Hawaiian Aloha, Hawaiian Pineapple... I gave up and came home tail-between-my-legs. I will attempt this again tomorrow.

Use plain unscented Clorox bleach. It should have sodium hypochlorite of 8.25%. Then read the first of this thread to get the mix correct and the does and don'ts.

Bill