Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2008   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Earlier than advertised

DTM. While cleaning up the bottom of my plants this afternoon, I found a Stump of the World blushing. Today is the 65 day mark and I expected it to be closer to 80 from what I have read. Monomakh's Hat came in around 60 days, 150z at that. I understand that DTM varies but isnt that awful early for at least SOTW? The plant looks real healthy and shows no signs of stress that would cause early ripening. The fruit looks to be in the 8 to 10 oz range. Is this something that is more normal for the deep south or just a coincidence?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #2
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about the deep south but here in the shallow south, DTM doesn't mean much. I have had Brandywine Sudduth's come in way ahead of schedule at just 45 days while Clear Pink Early was way late at 72 days. The two I have come to depend on for earliness are Gregori's Altai and Early Large Red which usually come in at 45-50 days.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
DTM. While cleaning up the bottom of my plants this afternoon, I found a Stump of the World blushing. Today is the 65 day mark and I expected it to be closer to 80 from what I have read. Monomakh's Hat came in around 60 days, 150z at that. I understand that DTM varies but isnt that awful early for at least SOTW? The plant looks real healthy and shows no signs of stress that would cause early ripening. The fruit looks to be in the 8 to 10 oz range. Is this something that is more normal for the deep south or just a coincidence?
I have a few stumps but none blushing yet.

Mater,

Gregori's Altai has been a real winner for me for two years now and it is a darn good tomato to boot.

It will be on my plant list for (bulk growing) next year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

That's very early from what I understand of Stump of the World. I have always put in the same category as Brandywine and Earl's Faux, or even later.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it would be that unusual for the observed maturity date for a particular variety to differ from the listed DTM by a lot in any particular year. Growing it for a number of years, on the average it should fall somewhere close to the advertised DTM (or early, mid, or late season designation).

I look at and even use DTMs, but deep in my heart I know they're pretty much useless.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2008   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
That's very early from what I understand of Stump of the World. I have always put in the same category as Brandywine and Earl's Faux, or even later.
That is where I am coming from Morgan. I could and would expect that from Gregori's Altai and maybe others, but SOTW I wouldnt expect it from. I also know that DTM can be pretty useless since everyones climate, soil, fertilizer and such can differ quite a bit. Brandywine for example was my latest last year if I remember correctly and the ones that appear to be more late this year are Earls Faux, Aunt Gerties Gold and maybe Green Giant. Again, maybe its just a coincidence and further fruit from the variety will be in the normal DTM range. Oh well, what I lack in experience the plants will soon teach me.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote