Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 9, 2013   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you guys elavate your heating mat...

off the solid surface?

Last year, I put the mat on the carpet and it seemed to cook them as only the outside cell pack germinated. I'd like to put them on a dresser but I have the 3 ft lights.

So I was thinking of putting some cooling racks for cookies down, them heat mat, then flats for a little air flow.

Good idea?

OR just figure a way to fit the lights over the dresser.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #2
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

To begin germination I place my heating mat in a small plastic storage tub placed on top of the clothes dryer. I place the container lid over the tub but still allow airflow to occur.
Last season I had approx a 95 % germination rate.
Old February 9, 2013   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What kind heating mat are you using?
I have a Hydrofarm Heating Mat with a Hydrofarm Thermostat to regulate the heat, never have any problem with overheating.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My heat mat sits directly on a ceramic tile floor. Germination is always pretty even, no matter the location on the mat. Once the seeds sprout, I move them under the lights. I've done it on an oak floor, as well, with no damage to the wood and had the same results. I have not tried it on carpet.
Old February 9, 2013   #5
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

When I didn't have a thermostat for my hydrofarm heat matt the seeds got cooked. Once i bought the thermostat there has been no problems.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

If your mat doesn't have a thermostat, you should try to get a thermometer to put inside your setup so you can regulate the temps yourself. A lot depends on the temp of the room, whether or not the sun is on it, if you're using a humidity dome, etc. Hardwood or tile vs. carpet can make a difference along with lots of other variables.

I've even used wire racks between the mat and the cell trays when the temps were getting too hot during the day. Just experiment and see what works with your mat in your conditions...or buy a thermostat. I don't have a thermostat, but I'm home during the day to monitor things.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #7
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I put the heating mat on a sheet of styrofoam insulation and use a thermostat as well. With the outrageous price and/or rarity of some pepper seeds giving them the best chance I can.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #8
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I also use a piece of styrofoam (under the mat). I dont have a thermostat but I do have a rheostat so I can adjust the power. I have a coffee cup of water with a thermometer in it that seems pretty representative.

Last edited by Stvrob; February 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Clarify
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

One time, when I used a shallower germination tray, the soil got too hot and germination was poor.
My mat doesn't have a thermostat, but 1 inch of soil was too shallow. 1 1/2 inches is about right, gets warm enough but not too hot.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #10
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Since I use a regular old heating pad, (on low) I put it down, then put down very shallow cooling racks, (from the dollar store) and then the flat with the seeds on top of the cooling racks. The cover of the heating pad almost touches the flat, but not quite. That seems to do the trick for me.

I also use a meat thermometer to make sure the seeds aren't cooking or getting too cool.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote