Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 30, 2008   #1
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Advice on starting seeds in an aquarium?

I sowed my tomatoes, peppers and a few other veggie seeds today (they are in [2] 12 cell trays) and went to put them under the shop light in the basement only to discover that the electrical outlet isn't working. There isn't any other outlet/location for shop lights in the basement that I can use.
The only thing I could think of is to use an old 10 gal. tank that I can plug in up here in the living room, but not sure how to go about it.

What to use to raise up the trays?
Do I still use a heating pad for the pepper seeds?
Can I even use a heating pad inside the aquarium?
Will I still need to use the clear plastic lids on the trays?
Is there anything I've overlooked?
This can be done, can't it?
I hope so! I don't know what I'll do with my sown seeds if it can't be done!
Thanks for any advice!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Don't know for sure, but I imagine you could use a heating pad inside an aquarium. Keep in mind that you don't need lights and heat at the same time. You'll only need lighting after your seeds have germinated. If using it for a germination chamber, you could put plastic wrap over the top to sub for a humidity dome. If you plan to use the aquarium light after germination, remember that won't really be as much light as your seedlings need. But in order to raise the flats or cell packs, I would use chunks of styrofoam if available.

I use my old 10-gal aquarium to root cuttings in each year. I put a few inches of perlite in the bottom and stick the cuttings right in. This works really well. Then once they have rooted they are easily removed for potting up. I've used it a number of times for geranium (pelargonium) cuttings and last year I used it for rhododendron cuttings.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

How are you going to provide a breeze to those seedlings to make them grow strong stems and be somewhat tolerant of windy days?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2008   #4
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, Thanks for the reminder on the fact that they don't need the light for germination. I was able to get some heat to them. It should be good enough for now so that I can get that outlet fixed in time for when they need the light.
Feldon, I always just brush the tops of them with my fingers every time I go past them and after transplanting into larger containers, I'll bring them upstairs where I can have a fan blow on them during the day, then overnight it's back to the basement where they will be safe from being eaten by my cats!
Thanks to the both of you for your help!
Cathy
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #5
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

I understand that i am bringing back a long dead thread but I'm thinking of doing this same thing and wondered how it worked out for those who have tried it ?

I plan broadcast/sow seed for my main crops of Kellogg's (between 60 and 100 plants) and Bush Goliath (100-150). The seed sent me by members will be in much smaller numbers and so I will start those in seed trays.

My plan is to transfer the plants from the Diotomatious earth to pots once they are strong enough. But I wondered about the water/poor drainage in an enclosed environment like the aquarium.

Any input would be a big help ! Thanks in advance.

P.S. I should say that I have one 50 gallon and one 10 gallon aquarium that I can use.
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Personally I would flip the aquarium upside down and use it as a mini greenhouse. Only issue is you have to take it off on extra sunny days or it over heats. I used that last year before I got my mini pop up greenhouse. (2'X2')

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2013   #7
Feywalker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post

I use my old 10-gal aquarium to root cuttings in each year. I put a few inches of perlite in the bottom and stick the cuttings right in. This works really well. Then once they have rooted they are easily removed for potting up. I've used it a number of times for geranium (pelargonium) cuttings and last year I used it for rhododendron cuttings.

Good luck!

Sherry
Sherry,
That's a brilliant idea! I have a couple of extra 10 gal aquariums, I'll have to try using them for my spring cuttings. Thank you for the great idea
Feywalker is offline   Reply With Quote