Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 9, 2017   #181
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
On variegated tomatoes, they need a wide temp change to get their variegation "activated..." maybe this would trigger the striped coloration on peppers? Maybe just an overnight below 50-55F? Any of the growers able to try that?
I didn't plan on this experiment, but this well describes the conditions my plants are growing under. They're kept under lights in my basement (in Minnesota). When the lights are off, the area drops down to a chill temperature (though I have not yet measured the specific temp).
Old January 9, 2017   #182
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Tissue culture can be used to clone plants. It is an alternative to grafting (and might produce many more plants.

If tissue culture is a part of the patent, I do not think anyone will be seeing the striping pattern on plants saved from seed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
The documentation (patents, etc.) seems to indicate the plants are produced via tissue culture. I'm hoping the trait is at least partially heritable.

The first of my peppers have started to develop some yellow color, so hopefully soon I'll know if any of my plants show stripes. One of the plants has produced a fruit that has a very dark anthocyanin shoulder, so there does seem to be some genetic diversity within the plant.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #183
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
On variegated tomatoes, they need a wide temp change to get their variegation "activated..." maybe this would trigger the striped coloration on peppers? Maybe just an overnight below 50-55F? Any of the growers able to try that?
We are having those temperatures now. Night time lows have been about < 50 for a few days now with a gradual climb up.

One of the peppers is starting to lighten.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sat...eather/2245256

I have to use Satellite Beach zip code b/c Indialantic and Melbourne Beach use Melbourne's weather which is not on the barrier island. The barrier island is dryer, cooler in the summer and warmer nights in the winter.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #184
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Tissue culture can be used to clone plants. It is an alternative to grafting (and might produce many more plants.

If tissue culture is a part of the patent, I do not think anyone will be seeing the striping pattern on plants saved from seed.
Not necessarily. They brought this strain up to high volume production in a very short time. They might have used tissue culture as a way to start many plants quickly. Well it's possible.

Still anxiously awaiting results.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #185
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I doubt they would use tissue culture simply to produce many plants in a short time (vs. regular seed production).

Certainly, tissue culture would be a completely unnecessary step. But, it doesn't rule it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Not necessarily. They brought this strain up to high volume production in a very short time. They might have used tissue culture as a way to start many plants quickly. Well it's possible.

Still anxiously awaiting results.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #186
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

One of my plants is definitely showing minor variegation on the green areas of the fruit. This is the first plant to ripen and no red is in evidence.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; January 10, 2017 at 04:05 AM. Reason: photo, stuff.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #187
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

How cute! Will be interesting to see how it further develops and what others folks peppers look like.

Kinda of dumb question here, but these peppers were cloned, to maybe get one showing the same color and stripes would there be a better chance of getting such a plant if more of the seeds were planted. Is it possible by doing that, that maybe one or more might show up like the parent or not?

Thanks for the pic. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #188
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

One article I read on these said they were all hand grafted plants... not sure what was grafted to what.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #189
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Geez - I don't know - I've grown a lot of yellow Marconi peppers and that's what they look like when ripening. Part green / Part Yellow.

Is that the size of all your Enjoya peppers. Mine are much larger, but each plant produced 4 (maybe 5) and hasn't produced any more or flowering either.
Mine are big and block-y; I would say 5"X4". Plants look really healthy.

BTW - Plants are short too. In a 5 Gallon Root Pouch.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017   #190
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Mine are much larger, but each plant produced 4 (maybe 5) and hasn't produced any more or flowering either.
Try topping and trimming the plant for new growth and use some 5-10-10 fertilizer to promote flowering and fruit production.
Old January 10, 2017   #191
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Kinda of dumb question here, but these peppers were cloned, to maybe get one showing the same color and stripes would there be a better chance of getting such a plant if more of the seeds were planted. Is it possible by doing that, that maybe one or more might show up like the parent or not?
That's the idea. There are people all over he place that are growing them.

At this stage, I think the trait is a novel sort of variegation. I'm really hoping someone can find a rare plant that does show red-striped fruit, then we can get some idea of heritability by counting up how many plants people grew that just turned out yellow.
Old January 10, 2017   #192
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That's the idea. There are people all over he place that are growing them.

At this stage, I think the trait is a novel sort of variegation. I'm really hoping someone can find a rare plant that does show red-striped fruit, then we can get some idea of heritability by counting up how many plants people grew that just turned out yellow.
The grower in the Netherlands is propagating these plants enough to sell to both the EU and US marketplace ... it seems to me that the seed does not grow true, but the "mother plant" provides enough to continue grafting. Eventually something will break loose on these and there will be some true-growing seed, but I have seen ZERO evidence that anyone other than the grower has been successful with this (PLEASE correct me if you found otherwise).
Old January 10, 2017   #193
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
One article I read on these said they were all hand grafted plants... not sure what was grafted to what.
The following quote is from the patent for the pepper.
"[0011] `E20B3751` was discovered in a screening trial of mutants of pepper variety `Maduro` conducted at Est, Netherlands. The mutant `E20B3751` was selected based on its vertical red and yellow stripes color and propagated vegetatively (i.e., asexually)."
I had assumed this meant it was propagated via tissue culture, but grafting would also be consistent.
Old January 10, 2017   #194
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The following quote is from the patent for the pepper.
"[0011] `E20B3751` was discovered in a screening trial of mutants of pepper variety `Maduro` conducted at Est, Netherlands. The mutant `E20B3751` was selected based on its vertical red and yellow stripes color and propagated vegetatively (i.e., asexually)."
I had assumed this meant it was propagated via tissue culture, but grafting would also be consistent.
good information ... thanks!
Old January 11, 2017   #195
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
I have seen ZERO evidence that anyone other than the grower has been successful with this (PLEASE correct me if you found otherwise).
Nor I, but we've seen no contrary evidence either. Be patient.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote