Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2013   #1
FisherPrice
Tomatovillian™

Default Familiar with Detskiy Sladkiy Tomatoes?

I picked up a couple of Early Girl plants at the local greenhouse here in Fairbanks. And when I got home I noticed that I accidently grabbed a Detskiy Sladkiy plant as well. I cant find much on these other than they are Russian, and the name means sweet for children. Is anyone familiar with these tomatoes?

Thanks!
FisherPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

FisherPrice,

This is my first year growing it also. It is a determinate, heavy production of what looks to be small tomatoes. Very good early fruit set. I set it out late with several other Russian determinates to compare flavor. I haven't had a chance to taste any yet, but the good early production was impressive and I think it should make a good Alaskan tomato. I'm curious to hear how yours performs, and also any feedback from other growers. I am always looking for alternatives to Early Girl for my parents in Montana.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #3
FisherPrice
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I asked the greenhouse I got them from about the Detskiy Sladkiy plants and they told me that they are grown localy by a russian in Fairbanks. He provided the seeds. It is the first year that they have had them so they did not have much information other than early producers well suited for Alaska.. Where are your parents in Montana? I grerw up in Great Falls.
Old June 8, 2013   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I received my seeds from user simmran1 (Randy) and I think his source was also somewhere in Alaska but I'd have to check our correspondence to be sure.

My parents are in Kalispell and that's where I grew up. I couldn't decide to go north or south, I decided on south.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPrice View Post
Thanks! I asked the greenhouse I got them from about the Detskiy Sladkiy plants and they told me that they are grown localy by a russian in Fairbanks. He provided the seeds. It is the first year that they have had them so they did not have much information other than early producers well suited for Alaska.. Where are your parents in Montana? I grerw up in Great Falls.
Something about Detskij sladkij is on this web (estonish).
Vladimír
http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/rus/index.php?GID=13753

Last edited by MrBig46; June 9, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2013   #6
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

FisherPrice,

Could have been grown by Kurt Wold of Fairbanks. A Seed Savers Exchange member whom I requested/received seeds of Detskiy Sladkiy. I am growing 4 (healthy) plants of D.S. myself, plus grew & distributed many more at our gardening club's plant sale.

Where normally I trial grow before growing for plant sale, I had actually tasted (many) while on an Alaskan cruise, so I felt confident local gardeners would be impressed with an early with fine flavor. Fortunately they survived 12.5" of rain & 50 MPH winds 10 days ago from the storms that came up from OK. -Randy
Old August 7, 2013   #7
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

How are the Detskiy Sladkiy doing? Sherry gave me a plant that she started from seed and the production is great. So far, I haven't picked all that many that have blushed but if they all start turning ripe at once, I'll be giving them away!
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013   #8
FisherPrice
Tomatovillian™

Default Doing great

My kitchen sink window sill is full of tennis ball size fruit. The weather in Fairbanks has been rather warm so the growing season has been great. Working on the other hand has been hell.
Old August 8, 2013   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've sent Detskiy Sladkiy tomato seeds to Kurt Wold 4 or 5 years ago. Yes, it is a good early choice for Alaska. Deteminate,quite tasty and productive, big cherry size. Russian CV from my collection.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013   #10
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

My fruits are tennis ball size also Fisher Price. We've had a great run this summer with the weather. It's raining down here but I guess we need it and I hope it ends soon. I dread when the slugs come out. Thanks Andrey for getting the seeds to Alaska!
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Seems folks got 2 different sizes of fruit from this one. I want the tennis balls! How do they taste?

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #12
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

They are pretty good, container type det plant. Grew them last year. I think it was about golf ball size and decent production.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote