Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 15, 2009   #16
gallaure
Tomatovillian™

The fabric reminds me of higher quality landscape fabric. I assume you could get a roll and cut/sew to size. Maybe I should try that out...
gallaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009   #17
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

What a great idea!! I have some landscape fabric at home. I think it is time to bring out the sewing machine! Would solve the issue of where to put my bush cucumbers and extra crookneck squash. Now any ideas as to dimensions to equal say a 5 gallon container? I am thinking square vs round.
Kat

Last edited by newatthiskat; May 15, 2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: info
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009   #18
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Now any ideas as to dimensions to equal say a 5 gallon container?
You probably do not need to match the volume exactly.
You could make it as high as a 5-gallon paint bucket, make
4 sides about the same as the diameter across the top
of the bucket, and have a little more than 5 gallons volume.
Old May 19, 2009   #19
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

I'm really thinking about the landscape fabric idea, and instead of sewing using UV resistant zip-ties to keep it together.

Now if I recall I can figure out the volume of the container by multiplying the width x length x height correct? So if I have a container that is 1' x 1' x 2' that would be the equivalent of a 14 gallon container?
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009   #20
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am going to be working on one as well. I am using nylon thread to sew the seams. I have found a few links converting cubic inches to gallons. formula to find cubic inches would be lengthX width X height

to convert cubic inches to figure out how many gallons I owuld use a website like this http://www.conversion-metric.org/vol...conversion.php

Can you tell I have been thinking aout this? Almost takes me back to trig and calculus class. ALMOST

I got a call from work today and looks like I can only work light duty the rest of the week maybe then I am going to be convolesing at home. I will have to do something to keep from going crazy!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009   #21
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I got 3 of the 5 gallon and 3 of the 10 gallon yesterday. Going to try them with the fall plant out. I will post my results.
Old May 19, 2009   #22
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I am going to be working on one as well. I am using nylon thread to sew the seams. I have found a few links converting cubic inches to gallons. formula to find cubic inches would be lengthX width X height

to convert cubic inches to figure out how many gallons I owuld use a website like this http://www.conversion-metric.org/vol...conversion.php

Can you tell I have been thinking aout this? Almost takes me back to trig and calculus class. ALMOST

I got a call from work today and looks like I can only work light duty the rest of the week maybe then I am going to be convolesing at home. I will have to do something to keep from going crazy!
Kat
Thanks for the link. Careful with the nylon though, it breaks down with UV exposure.
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2010   #23
Gardenrube
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try those "green" grocery bags for some Tiny Tim and Patio Hybrid in those. You can get those for about 1.00. What do you suppose the gallon size is for those? I was thinking 2.5 or so.
Gardenrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #24
phkat
Tomatovillian™

Brilliant, Gardenrube! I have a bunch of those bags and they should be close enough for me. Awesome idea. I was on here searching for pros and cons of buying the SmartPots or Air Pots or just fabric bags in general for my tomatoes this year. This is definitely worth a try. Thanks for mentioning it!
phkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #25
Gardenrube
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkat View Post
Brilliant, Gardenrube! I have a bunch of those bags and they should be close enough for me. Awesome idea. I was on here searching for pros and cons of buying the SmartPots or Air Pots or just fabric bags in general for my tomatoes this year. This is definitely worth a try. Thanks for mentioning it!
No Problem. I put one Pation hybrid in there about a month ago and it seemed to be doing pretty good until I dropped a cardboard box on it and snapped the stem off below the dirt! I added more dirt and it has been holding on for a week now so maybe it will live.

The only complaint is that it really doesn't hold it's shape...but that doesn't really seem to matter.
Gardenrube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010   #26
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I think I'll use Dice's laundry basket idea by lining the sides with some landscape fabric. May need to punch a few holes in bottom of basket for water to drain. Now if someone will come up with a mini-soaker hose idea? How about a straight line of containers with a hose [with end plugged] running across top of containers and a few small holes drilled in hose at each container. Or use a drip kit or whatever they are.
Old May 7, 2010   #27
Earl
Tomatovillian™

After reading that plant roots do better in fabric pots because of the roots stay away from the sides and disperse more evenly throughout the potting mix instead of circling the pot I decided to make a couple and see how they preformed. It was a very simple task. Bought a couple laundry type baskets, already had the landscape fabric and ducktape.

Punch a few holes in the bottom of the basket. Cut the fabric to circumference of basket [plus 4-6 inches extra for overlap.] You'll also want about an inch of fabric will extend onto the bottom. Put fabric into basket. Tape the fabric to top of basket and you'll need to pleat fabric in a few places [so fabric hugs the sides] where you tape as you can see in the picture.

That's it. Fill with mix and plant. I may try square baskets next. Let us know if you give it a try.

You could even use a net type bag like a large onion bag or etc. as long as it would support the fabric. Cut a piece of fabric to fit the bottom and a piece for the sides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fabric pot 1 finished.jpg (45.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg fabric pot 2 items.jpg (53.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg fabric pot planted.jpg (95.2 KB, 85 views)
Old June 19, 2010   #28
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Sears do a bag here same fabric as the grocery store bags but about three times the size,it cost $1, too big for everyday shopping but might work as a larger fabric bag.

Friends in the UK are planting in Ikea shopping bags, they are certainly big and porous.

I intended doing salad poatoes in them

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; June 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: error
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #29
mushrooms
Tomatovillian™

What about those those fabric totes that are suppose to be an alternative to plastic bags? I think they;re like under a buck each... Does it seem like they might be able to hold soil and watering without falling apart?
mushrooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #30
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I was going to try to make these with my cousin:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Tate...ato-grow-bags/
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote