Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 25, 2017   #76
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I never tasted the PL but the normal Indian can be pretty gosh darnoodley good. Tangy yes, but good flavour and great texture. You're going to have a hard time comparing other tomatoes to the GWRs, all that I tried have been on average better than any other colour by a good amount.
There's some powdery mildew there, plants seem a bit crowded. I would remove some stems and get air in there.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #77
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

LOL @MissS, raincoats eh! might be an idea worth pursuing! I'll gladly take you up on your offer after the season is done

@bschaerger GGWT seems to be a safe bet, got lots of rain as well in Germany? I always imagined you guys had better weather than us!

@zipcode it pains me to hear this about Indian Stripe as I failed, yet again today, to detect any flavor and the texture is not great.

I kept 20 inches between plants but due to travelling overseas a couple of times this summer, some suckers got away and I didn't have the heart to cut them after they thickened. Should've probably cut them anyways, I always think it would shock the plant and throw its growth into limbo for a while, I hope my theory is wrong.

Last edited by Banadoura; August 25, 2017 at 03:31 PM.
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #78
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I never tasted the PL but the normal Indian can be pretty gosh darnoodley good. Tangy yes, but good flavour and great texture. You're going to have a hard time comparing other tomatoes to the GWRs, all that I tried have been on average better than any other colour by a good amount.
There's some powdery mildew there, plants seem a bit crowded. I would remove some stems and get air in there.
For me, growing where I used to grow,there was absolutely no difference between IS RL and IS PL, except for leaf form. I love that variety, well both leaf forms and grew it a lot,for seed offers,SSE listings, etc.

Carolyn
Old September 6, 2017   #79
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Weekly Update

I've been enjoying picking a lot of tomatoes this past week and look forward to 2 more weeks before the frost hits!

Paul Robeson, GGWT, Cherokee Lime, LLK and Black Cherry are this year's STARS

Productive & Beautiful: Paul Robeson

The Special GGWT
Old September 6, 2017   #80
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Lessons for next year

I need to work on better support next year to avoid situations like this:
Old September 6, 2017   #81
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Not coming back...

This year I had 3 (out of 20) Cosmonaut Volkov plants

What a waste of space, low production, not pretty and the taste is not great.
Definitely not coming back, I'd rather go for smaller/earlier tomatoes

Matsu is the first plant to succumb to disease and production is low. This one also will not be returning.

Old September 7, 2017   #82
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Those are some beautiful tomatoes that you have grown. I'm glad that you have so many that will be making a return to your garden next season. I am always happy when I just find one or two out of the bunch that will be making a return visit. I suppose that is because I like to try so many 'new to me' varieties. The next garden I plant, I intend to just grow 10-15 of my favorites and leave the experiments for another year. I figure that I finally deserve a year of eating the 'best of the best' and see which ones I enjoy the best of all.

You have learned a LOT and done a wonderful job!
Old September 8, 2017   #83
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Banadoura, Nice going. Beautiful fruit. I prepped you about GGWT, remember ? ;-)

I too have become merciless when it comes to poor performers, they're not invited back. Too little time and space to bother.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #84
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Great looking harvest!
So nice to follow the season all the way through, the downs and
ups.
I always get a couple varieties that just never do well here. I often
give them 2 or three more tries but most often they are just duds
in certain climates.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #85
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Those are some beautiful tomatoes that you have grown. I'm glad that you have so many that will be making a return to your garden next season. I am always happy when I just find one or two out of the bunch that will be making a return visit. I suppose that is because I like to try so many 'new to me' varieties. The next garden I plant, I intend to just grow 10-15 of my favorites and leave the experiments for another year. I figure that I finally deserve a year of eating the 'best of the best' and see which ones I enjoy the best of all.

You have learned a LOT and done a wonderful job!
Thanks MissS! your advice was instrumental to this success

I will settle on favorites only, one of these days, as there's still too many to try in my case
Old September 8, 2017   #86
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

@taboule yessir you did!

@oakley speaking of climates, you and @taboule are not that different in terms of zone from me, I'd be curious to hear what other varieties were a success in your gardens?
Old November 2, 2017   #87
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default The End

We were very lucky to have gone through somewhat a second summer with excellent temps all through September. In fact, I only removed the plants a couple of weeks ago.

So I was lucky enough to get another batch of tomatoes in the second half of September. In October, I harvested the green left overs that had a chance to blush and called it a season. I still have a couple of garden tomatoes blushing to be eaten this week, a first ever at this time!

Jaune Flammee just kept going in substantial numbers until the very end, a shame the taste was not there so it was in vain.

Rebel Yell wins the biggest tomato for the season at 1 lb.

Lindy's Little Krim was a good one.

Returning next year (100%) will be LLK and GGWT, the rest will most likely be new varieties to test. Come January I'll start putting the seeds together and gear up to the 2018 season

Last edited by Banadoura; November 2, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old November 2, 2017   #88
MdTNGrdner

Congratulations and well done! It's been a pleasure following your progress this season.
Old November 2, 2017   #89
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Banadoura, what a wonderful thread you have created. Thanks so much for sharing your garden adventures with everyone here. I hope that others have learned from your experience.

I wish you better growing weather next year. Most likely you will have a whole new variety of issues to address as well as new varieties of tomatoes to talk about. The offer of seeds still stands.

~ Cheers ~
Old November 3, 2017   #90
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Banadoura, nice job, lots of nice pictures during your adventure.

You ended on a good note with L's Little Krim, zaytoun asouad, khibz, and what's the white stuff on the right? Jibne? or labne?

Bravo ;-)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garden diary