Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old October 28, 2014   #1
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Default Produce Labels for Clamshells

Hi All,

I've been looking for a supplier of preprinted produce labels for clamshells, and can't find anything that's affordable. Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I'm growing microgreens (selling at 2 farmers markets and to a couple of local restaurants). I've been printing out black and white labels on paper and taping them to the top of the clamshells (name of our farm/location/produce type/net weight) with packaging tape. I really want to look more professional and get some color labels instead.

Thanks for your input.

Lyn

Last edited by LDx4; October 28, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2014   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's one to consider...

http://hydro-gardens.com/label.htm
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is another place where you can make your own custom labels online.
You can even add your picture or what ever you want to do.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...wXt-TyNUfLIhbA
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2014   #4
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Charley and Worth! I'll research both websites. It's so easy to order business cards now from several companies. I had hoped that it would be as easy to order labels (and as cheap), but no such luck, it seems. I found some on VistaPrint, but they want 40 cents per label, which seems like a lot to me.

Lyn
Old October 29, 2014   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Lyn,

Great to hear you are keeping busy!

You might consider printing your own labels. I use 2X4" address label stock (10 labels/page) for seed packets but you can buy address labels in many sizes. You should be able to print a 2X4" label for about $.10, depending on how much color ink you use. (white background).

Avery has free design software or you can use Word, etc. to design/print the labels. One nice thing about printing your own labels is you don't have to wait for the order and you can print as many/few as you need at any time.

Good luck,
Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I do print my own labels for seed packs and my hot sauce.

I get my labels here. They have Avery compatible sizes and some of their own sizes. They do have their own software program too but I don't use it. http://www.onlinelabels.com/

For the software, I love Printmaster. It does so many things. For labels, it's the only program that lets you print only as many labels as you need and lets you print on less than full pages. I like that I can make a basic label and do "mail merge" sections for things like my seeds. That way you don't need to make a new label for every thing. You get to pick which label prints first. Here it is on Amazon. The Broderbund page isn't listing any version beyond 6. I don't know why as I have 15 and that's old. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-20&ascsubtag=[site|ttr[cat|51[art|NA[pid|485[tid|NA[bbc|NA

For labels on anything that MIGHT get wet, using a laser printer is best and more professional looking. Personally I love my Brother B&W printer for just about everything. It's reasonably priced and toner refills are very reasonable from some of the knockoff places and they DO work. IF you want to do color, I would suggest getting a second printer and use it ONLY when you need the color. The color laser printers are reasonably priced BUT toner refills are outrageous and so far I haven't found a good knockoff. Using it ONLY when you need color, the original toners last a long time. If you use it for all printing tho, at least 1 toner will run out and then the printer is junk.

Just my experiences,
Carol

PS, While I used to have inkjets, our house is bone dry in the winter and the cartridges would always dry out even when not used. That's another reason I went to laser printers.

Last edited by Wi-sunflower; October 30, 2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added thought
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #7
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Steve and Carol -- you've both got great suggestions. If I can get the labels down to 10 cents each, that will be affordable on my budget! I see a trip to Staples or Office Depot in my near future. Carol, thanks for the tip on the laser printers and the software. I've got an ink-jet right now, but I think that the labels might get damp, especially if the clamshells are in the cooler, so I'll look into a Brother B&W model.

Steve - I'm trying to stay busy until I can start tomato season again!

Thanks much!

Lyn
Old October 30, 2014   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have had 2 of the Brother B&W printers and love them both. Used the first for at least 5 years before it finally gave up. I currently have a HL 5340D but it's got a newer version now. Here is the Amazon page. I love finding things on Amazon because of the reviews at the bottom of the page. You can see what other real people think of it not just what the company hype is.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL5450...dp_ob_title_ce

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014   #9
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

what sort of clamshells are you using? i am in need of a source for unvented pints.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014   #10
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Biscgolf,

I'm using pint size deli containers, unvented. I get them at a local restaurant supply/grocery chain called Smart and Final: http://www.smartandfinal.com/Products/ProductsHome.aspx. Not sure if they're nationwide or just in southern CA.

I can get the containers for about 6 cents each. Of course, my volume of sales is still pretty small, so there are probably better deals out there for larger orders. I first looked for produce clamshells, but they all had vents. These work for me.

Lyn
Old October 31, 2014   #11
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

thanks Lyn.

I was getting unvented pint berry clams from producepackaging.com but they ceased to carry them- now all i can find are vented unless i want to order by the pallet. They do still carry unvented half-pints.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote